Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #1

Is there a special art to kick starting the Hawk 250?

I was trying to kick start my Hawk 250 yesterday and it just wouldnt start. Key was on, kill switch was to the run position, fuel on, choke on (and off - tried both) but it wouldnt start after several attempts. After a few tries, I tried holding in the clutch to see if that would work but it didnt. Does the clutch need to be pulled in while kick starting?

Just moments before attempting to kick it, I had it started via electric start and had it idling for several seconds until it stalled out when I turned the choke off too early. But when I pressed the starter button the second time, the battery was too weak to start it. So I then tried kicking it over with no luck.

I am aware of kicking it over on the compression stroke, but wondering if these bikes prefer more throttle while kicking? Or maybe it likes no throttle at all? During my attempts I was giving it small and quick twists of throttle during each kick.

So just wondering if there is an art to kick starting these bikes while I wait on a new battery. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #2

Can't answer your question, but you could also try push-starting it.

While sitting on it, get it coasting down a slope in 3rd gear with the clutch in; ignition, gas and choke on. Once you get going 10 mph or so, pop the clutch and it should start. Immediately pull the clutch lever back in to keep it running, then put it in neutral. Or if you are ready to ride, put it in 1st or 2nd and off you go.

A little bit of technique to it, but a good skill to have with a dead battery.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #3

I know my TT250 is pretty darn close to the Hawk, and given that it's warmed up, doesn't need any throttle during a kickstart. If it's cold, a small quick twist will usually work. Do you have access to a battery tender? I've been trying to make a point to practice the kickstart at various temps just to get the feel in case it comes down to an emergency, and I know they all have their own personalities.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #4

Hello I have a TBR7,and it dose not like to kick start very good. I just use electric start if it quits working will have to coast start it.Just dosen't kick right.2021 model and still using stock battery. 2300 miles and only 1 problem, front sprocket fell off so put stock one back on.But will be getting a new 17 tooth sprocket again,15 tooth will only go 52 mph with 17 tooth 65 mph speed. Love this bike and it was free,happy days, Just get a new battery and troubles will be gone, Ride safe my friend.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #5

My Magician would not start with the kickstarter til I had the valves adjusted right and the carb jetted well. Now it will usually kick start with 1 or 2 kicks with choke on when cold and off when warm.

My Storm will start on first or second kick when cold just like the Magician, but it takes several when it's warm.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #6

Sorry, TBR7 owner here, so don't know about the Hawk 250 exactly, but the TBR7 was resistant to kickstarting for a long time.

I did the same as you, but I did have the gear in neutral and the clutch squeezed. Seemed to get easier as the bike got more miles on her.

HTH,

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 07-10-2022, 06:25 PM   #7

Checking the valve clearances sounds like a good idea -my Zongshen Sierra had such loose valves and low compression at some point that it felt like kicking over a 50cc two-stroke, and you could hardly tell which kicks were on a compression stroke. It took quite some patience to kickstart in these conditions.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 AM   #8

My Hawk is pretty good about kick starting when it's cold, but it's really easy when it's warm. The best advice I can give you is to make sure your valves are set dead on, and that you have a good follow-through when you kick start it. You really have to run the kick arm all the way down and around. I would also recommend that you tune the carburetor and make sure you have a really good spark plug. The battery being low didn't help you any, either. Hope this helps!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 07-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #9

mine needed about 1/4 throttle to start it whether cold/choke or warm. if no throttle, it would never start

Old 07-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #10

Mine has started first kick almost every time with no special tricks. I rarely use the electric start.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #11

When new and with stock carb, my hawk was very reluctant to start from the kickstarter. When forced to (whoops left the key on and drained the battery!) I would usually try to kick it a couple of times pretty rapidly.

Now that its broken in and I have adjusted the carb, it kick starts very easily.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #12

I agree with what was said here. The Brozz I had (son has it now) would NOT start from the kick starter until the valves were adjusted (they were totally out of whack) and the carb was jetted. These bikes are stoopid lean from the factory to meet EPA regs. I think I put in a 105 main jet and just went like 2.5 turns out on the idle air mixture screw. After that she would fire right up cracking the throttle a tad while kicking.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:41 PM   #13

Have ridden many motorcycles all of my life,60 years old, just dose not feel right when kicking. Have never kick started since new, will just have to coast start if electric start quits i guess.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:15 PM   #14

I removed my kick start lever. I am too lazy to intentionally kick start a bike with electric start anyway, and if I am really desperate a good old bump start isn't that hard to do on these bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #15

Ya thats what i think too.