Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2018, 12:11 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to maxhdrm
Missing oil screen

Something strange happened when I was performing a oil change with my 7000 mile service, thought I would share in case it happens to anyone else. I was draining the oil after the valve check and when I pulled the bolt covering the left (left as you are sitting on the bike) oil screen, the oil drained but there was no screen! I checked the drain pan and everywhere I could think of (thought maybe it got stuck on the bike when the oil started draining and I didn’t see it as the oil was pouring out), it was no where to be found. I took a flashlight and checked inside the cavity where the screen was suppose to be but could not see it any where. Called CSC service and asked if they had ever seen this, they said they had not, I searched this forum to see if anyone else had reported this and found one report that for the screen on the right side of the bike and said the screen was stuck up on the left side of the cavity they could see it with a flashlight and used a coat hanger to extract it. With my bike I did not see anything at all in the cavity where the oil screen should have been. I decided to look for a endoscope camera that I could use to look around inside the cavity, thanks to Amazon for $35.99 I had a camera to connect to my iPad in 2 days:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using the camera I found the oil screen stuck out of view in the upper right area of the cavity.Name:  2F5B8800-A6BB-4014-8923-BE3864E43B03.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  14.0 KB
Didn’t expect that, used a mini hook tool to move it out of that area so I could position it to grab it with a set of needle nose pliers. It actually ended up side ways in the cavity before I was able to position it to grab it with the needle nose pliers.Name:  6EF34594-9DE6-48CE-9095-332654822EA2.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  13.4 KB
The endoscope was great! Spotted in about two minutes and it even took the attached photos. Hope this doesn’t happen to you, but just in case!