Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #1

hour/tach unit *update with install pictures*

just won one on ebay for less then 13 bucks shipped. dont even know the name of the company that makes it but it was cheap enough to take a chance on..

here is some information on it, when i get it in i will post pictures and pictures of the install as well as a review of how it performs..

It will show both engine rpm and hours of operation
It will read up to 99,999 rpm
Instructions included. Very easy to install, just 2 wires;
Wrap first wire around your spark cable, connect second wire anywhere on the engine or frame.
Programmable maintenance interval setting.
No more guessing for the oil change.
It will work on any 4 stroke or 2 stroke gas powered engine.
Replaceable internal battery rated for 35,000 hour of operation

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hourm...ts_Accessories

Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #2

Looks like a copy of the Tiny Tach.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

That beats messing around with a 4-6-8 tach. Looking forward to your review.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

i was going to go with the trail tech hour/tach meter.. but the one thing that bugged me about it was that it did not use a ground..this one does so i would assume if the electronics are on par that ground would help.. i plan on putting this on the spade terminal that plugs into the side fo the coil.. esp since if you have a high performance ngk plug wire they are sheilded like crazy and might make it harder to pick up the pulses..

i took a old cb radio apart for one half of the outter casing, going today to go get a new dremel from hf and some cut off wheels and a griding peice.. im going to mount it on the 2 lower bar clamp bolts and since the unit is only 2x2 not including the mounting tabs.. it will fit on a peice of metal bolted to the 2 lower bar clamp bolts between the bar clamp and the gas tank cap. bend it at an angle that i can turn full lock to lock on the steering with out it hitting anything.. then going to cut the mounting tabs off the sides of it.. feed the wire down like the clutch and throttle cables and keep it tucked up out of view

Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #5

A review will be needed. If it works well, I may need to get one for my lawnmower.

Allen

Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

well got the mount plate made for it, got some tweaking and cutting to do still. but cant do anymore with out the unit here, plan to lay it on the plate and trace it out. then cut out the shape of it so you will only see the mounting plate where it mounts to the bar clamps..

its a simple design, might not look the best but once the shape of the unit is cut out it will look much much better..

Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

I can see the hour meter being beneficial too. Like mentioned before. The tiny tach has a delay so actual rpms will take a few seconds to appear.

Allen

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #8

I think that's a good spot for it. I recommend that you switch from bolts to studs to mount the plate. You could install two studs, lock the bars down with nuts and then secure the plate on top with two more nuts. That way, you won't need to disturb the bars if you need to remove the plate.

Make sure to cover the tips of the studs with vacuum caps to keep the blood on the inside.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think that's a good spot for it. I recommend that you switch from bolts to studs to mount the plate. You could install two studs, lock the bars down with nuts and then secure the plate on top with two more nuts. That way, you won't need to disturb the bars if you need to remove the plate.

Make sure to cover the tips of the studs with vacuum caps to keep the blood on the inside.
not a bad idea, but what do you mean by keep the blood on the inside ? when i loosed the 2 lower bolts and removed them the bars didnt move.. when i first got the quad and i had to adjust the bars i add a little superglue so that way if i needed to remove 2 bolts in the future i could do so with out the bars loosing their setting..

bad thing is after i mounted the plate and turn the bars full lock to lock.. i found it turns more to the right then it does the left... yay front end alignment...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke

not a bad idea, but what do you mean by keep the blood on the inside ? ..
I thought it was a good line.

Studs are sharp, have no tops on them. Hurt like a bitch if you got slammed down on the tops of them... like when you pull one of those wheelies, almost go over, and hit the back brake.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #11

Nice find, Mike! Please do keep us updated.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #12

a little update, should have the unit in before next weekend if not then a week from this monday..

i decided i wanted a cleaner mounting when i install it, so i have decided to use the stock handle bar cover.. since i relocated my reverse and N lights to the right fender. i had taken the bar cover off that housed those lights and just set it aside, didnt plan on using it again.. but since the hour/tach measures 2x2 inches i plan on cutting the square out of the bar cover and then pushing the unit through the back side as to hide the mounting tabs..

im going to take my sweet time doing the cutting and mounting of this meter so that way when finished it looks like it is ment to be there and that it came that way from the factory..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #13

ok just got it in the mail, have it mounted but i cut the mount hole a little to big. but its nothing that some black rtv cant seal up. the unit is fairly small. single wire hook up looks good for the price.. i would be testing it out right now but since i have a bad battery and cant replace that for till either later today or tomorrow or maybe saturday at the latest then i will put up a review of how well it works along with pictures

Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #14

alright guys here is the installed picture of it.. please keep in mind the install is not that clean. this winter i am ordering a new body for it and will do a much much nicer install in the same spot. its pushed into the cut out for a tight fit and sealed with black rtv, also it is weather proof but not 100% water proof due to the the edges on the top of it are not sealed. so i put some rtv on my finger and filled in the hair line gap around the edges. poured some water over it and it is sealed up nicely, also seal the spot where the single wire comes out of it with rtv..

the only bad thing i can say about it is that once it is turned on right before it ships it does not turn off. but with a 35,000 hour battery it translates to roughly just over 4 years on a single battery.

i spliced in the signal wire after stripping the coating off the end of it and exposing roughly 1/2 inch of wire. spliced into the female spade plug that goes into my coil. have not confirmed if it works correctly like that but after i charge up the new battery tomorrow i will post with results and short video of it reading the rpms..

when i buy the new body kit for it, it will be mounted in the same spot but my indicator lights will be mounted to the left and right of it since there is room for them and it will look nicer.

it has built in

hour meter
tach meter
service timer

Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #15

Thanks for the update, Mike; that looks like a nice unit. Please do report how well it works.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894