Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Head Scratching Help with a vacuum leak

My Diamo ls200 has been running really bad of late, I noticed the problem when I took the carb off and put it back on to figure out why the throttle was sticking. Some chain lube shot into the cable fixed that problem. But now the bike is running like crap, It sputters and runs really rough at idle and then after I ride for a bit I pull in the clutch and the engine revs like crazy. I'm pretty sure its a vacuum leak. I sprayed the seal where the throttle cable goes into the carburetor and the bike revved up so I was assuming that that I'd found the problem. I wrapped the seal with some electrical tape and It didn't seem to do a whole lot. So now I'm not sure whats going on. I don't know if theirs jus a place I overlooked or if the electrical tape just isn't providing a good enough seal. I know that when I sprayed the taped seal with carb cleaner, nothing happened so I would guess that it isn't the culprit. If anybody has any other possible spots that the leak might live I'd be glade to hear them. I've checked the boots, the outlet from the air filter, the carb itself. I don't know whats up. Does anybody know what else this could be. This bike is giving me gray hair at 19

Old 05-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Was the boot between the carb and engine in good shape? Sometimes they deteriorate and crack up rapidly and cause air leaks and overly lean running. It's possible that the removal and re installation of the carb could have worsened the situation. Lot's of folks here with tons of knowledge (lol, way more than me!) so hopefully they can help you out .

Old 05-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #3

sth went wrong when you took the carb off. maybe sth loose, or sometimes overly tight bolts can crack something. i would take it off again and inspect all the parts. if unsure, whether something is iffy, post photos, then moderators and forum members will be able to advise.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

hhhhhhm, I sprayed the boots pretty good (and carefully, I like my eyebrows) and didn't notice any raise in rpm. I guess I could have missed a spot though. I'll take everything apart and do a thorough check come monday, post some pictures as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #5

before u do: is ur tank full? being out of fuel can give those symptoms.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #6

I had a vacuum problem with TurboT's atv, and it turned out to be the o-ring seal that mates with the head. There is a groove that the o-ring sits in, and the groove was cut too deeply; the hillbilly solution was to stack two o-rings. It ran fine after that.

That was with a steel intake tube on a low-mile atv. Your bike probably has an intake tube with rubber in the middle, and it could be cracked (like MICRider says). Like zingshoen says, maybe a mounting bolt is too tight.

Did you remove the intake tube from the head, or just remove the carb from the intake tube?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

I removed the intake tube from the head, the way the bike is setup its the only way to get the carburetor off. I also feel that its important to mention that the problem isn't the carb itself. I have two, (got the other one on ebay for $30) and the bike had problems with both. I've been running the bike to see what wrong with it for a while so I sort of doubt its the lack of gas. I'll take the carb off tomorrow and post some pictures if I see anything weird. Thanks for the suggestions all.