Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Georgia on my mind

Hello everyone!

As you can see, I'm new around here. I posted a couple of times in another thread, but thought it best to post here for an "official" hello...to keep it out of the other threads.

I am just south of Atlanta, but I enjoy camping (and plan to ride) in the mountains of N.C. just north of the state line...in the Blue Valley/Highlands area.

A little background on myself - I started riding, like most, as a kid. I had a Honda CT 90 until I destroyed the engine trying to do things I shouldn't. I didn't ride again until my early 20's when I picked up another small Honda (185) for the street. I quickly moved up to a Kawasaki EL 250 (my avatar), and then on to a Suzuki GS500E.

During this time I started working at a local shop where I learned a wealth of information about scooters of all sizes. We had a nice inventory of used bkes for sale, a massive "bone yard" in the back with bikes in various stages of disrepair, and a service shop run by "Rapid Rob", who was also building drag bikes for various riders trying to beat those of Star Racing.

I mostly worked in the warehouse sorting used parts for resale, but I did get to ride just about everything we sold...from 50cc scooters to a full dresser Gold Wing (w/ reverse!)...and before I left I had begun to work on an empty lift in the service shop, stripping the bikes that weren't going to be repaired. The parts were stored in the warehouse and the frame moved to bone yard.

Eventually, I moved on to other things. I bore easily. My Suzuki started having problems...one thing led to another and I was driving a car once again. Life throws a few more curve balls my way, and before I know it, 12 years have passed and I am determined to ride again. But what?

I love sport bikes, but the riding positions for me just don't cut the mustard. I've been on many..from 250's to 1100's, and with only a few exceptions, was too uncomfortable. So I was leaning heavily towards a cruiser.

When I was riding before a good friend had purchased a new Honda A.C.E. and I fell in love with the bike. I forget if it was the 750 or the 1100, but it was really comfortable, so this was the target of my renewed quest to ride again.

That is, until I found this: http://www.transamtrail.com/

When I found that link it just clicked instantly. I have to do that. I have to have a Dual Sport motorcycle!

I know what you're thinking. There is no way the GY 5 will make that trip, and I agree. I wouldn't even try it unless we could assemble a large group of riders and a few chase vehicles to make sure nobody got stuck or stranded or lost. Although, in all honesty, so long as a person doesn't expect too much from the machine, and the trails themselves aren't too demanding, I don't see why a GY couldn't make the trip, given enough time and effort.

Anyways, to get back on track somewhat, like most people, in my search for a reasonable, used DS, I discovered the China bike scene. I have a GY5 ordered, and my sole intention with the bike is to get familiar with them again. Get back in the saddle, so to speak...while I continue to save up for KLR650 (since these seem to be the favorite choice of many) to ride the TAT with confidence. I also have my eye on that new LF400. It's no ACE, but for the price...it just might work.

Now that you know a bit about my experience with motorcycles, and you know my plans for the future, I welcome any advice, information, tips, ridicule or whatever you may have to offer.

I am especially interested in talking with anyone who has done the TAT, or perhpas plans to ride the TAT. All, or any portion thereof. I would also like to meet other riders in the Atlanta area who might be interested in hooking up to log a few miles together.

Currently, my plans are to ride (roughly) the eastern half of the TAT starting in the summer of 09, and then finish the following summer. But, all things are subject to change at this point. I have one friend who is planning to make the trip with me, but we welcome anyone else who might like to join in the fun.

And finally, I want to take a minute to thank those who make this forum availalble and keep it running smoothly. I have found many forums for riders of all types, and I debated on where to create an account. I hate needing usernames and passwords for 1000's of places all over the web, so I have selected this forum and will be posting here exclusively, as this seems to be the most popular, and most of the users elsewhere are posting here too.

Sorry for the long post. If you read it all, give yourself a treat! :P
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

Welcome fellow Atlantan.

Its just you and I that are currently active. I have ridden my bike to that area of NC.

Have you purchase a bke yet?

Allen

Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Have you purchase a bke yet?

Allen
Thanks.

I ordered from Brian at MotoXtreme on Monday.
Waiting (somewhat) patiently now.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #4

You will have it real soon. Get you assembly needs together.

Allen

Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #5

Yea, I'm making my list and checking it twice..hehe

I'm hoping to get it squared away quickly and head up to BV on the 18th, but that may be pushing it a bit. I might have to move the trip back a week.

BTW, I like your avatar. My dad modified a Scout when I was a kid. That thing was a tank!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #6

Once again welcome and glad to have you.It sounds like a great plan for your future riding endevers.About three years ago My wife and I hooked up with some of our family in ohio and done the Skyline Drive then part of the blueridge pkwy on Street bikes.It was a great time we took our time had some chase vehicles and an rv spent about a week riding and site seeing.Someday we plan on finishing the trip.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #7

Welcome, your plans sound great, enjoy...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8088

Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #8

I have a 3 cub cadets and a 65 scout 800 that is still in MN awaiting restoration.

Allen

Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #9

DRK and kczukiman, Thanks for the welcome!

I thought I'd post a quick update.

I took my first ride(s) today. Back in the saddle for the first time in 12 years and it felt great! I even had someone stop me already to ask questions about the bike...hehe

The bike runs good. It took me a little bit to get the carb adjusted so the idle screw had any effect. I had to move the clip to the top of the needle and I was having a little trouble with the cable...as the rpms would increase or decrease when moving the bars from left to right...but I got that sorted out pretty easily.

State Farm was easy enough to deal with for the insurance. Just waiting for the MSO now.

I still plan to hit Blue Valley next weekend, the 18th. I believe I should have it tagged by then....and ready to enjoy the mountains.

Here's a few (46) pics during the various stages of assembly - http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...n%20LF200GY-5/

Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #10

Thanks for the update and the pics.Nice bike for sure.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Welcome! Lots of good info here.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #12

Thanks again guys!

I guess this will be one of my last posts in this thread. I expect to have my MSO soon, and then my tag...at which point I will feel better about taking longer rides and posting Ride Reports.

For now, I've been sticking to my neighborhood mostly, and riding to an industrial area nearby where I spotted a little trail heading off into some woods yesterday, so today I went back and followed the trail.

I recently mentioned in another thread that I hadn't played in the mud in a while, but that changed this morning. I wasn't really prepared and ended up dropping my bike in the mud, as well as making quite a mess of my shoes and pants.

Here's one of the pictures I took....she's a dirty girl...hehe

The rest of the pictures are here - http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k163/drgweb/Lifan2/

Only 50km on her so far.

Thanks again for the kind welcome. This place is great!