Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

hawk250 Clutch Springs?

anyone know the specs of the clutch springs for the Hawk 250??? are they interchangeable with another dual sport??? I'm looking to try out some stiffer ones.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

It depends on the number of springs in your clutch pack. I suspect that something like Barnett clutch springs will do the trick, but you might need to buy two packs to get the quantity you need. XR200 clutches use four springs, but I suspect that your Hawk uses five or six. I don't know if the diameter is the same.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

The image in this eBay listing shows six springs in the package: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSK-Clutch-S...dYCCrh&vxp=mtr Reach out to the seller to confirm.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnu13 View Post
anyone know the specs of the clutch springs for the Hawk 250??? are they interchangeable with another dual sport??? I'm looking to try out some stiffer ones.
What problems are you having with your clutch now?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

No problems. Just want it to grab a little harder. Setting it up to learn how to stunt...
My friend put in 3 stiffer slings and left 3 stock on his Honda Grom, and he can now clutch it up in 3rd gear..

Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...but I suspect that your Hawk uses five or six...
6. As http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...237#post234237

Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
No problems. Just want it to grab a little harder. Setting it up to learn how to stunt...
My friend put in 3 stiffer slings and left 3 stock on his Honda Grom, and he can now clutch it up in 3rd gear..

The stock clutch on my Hawk seems plenty adequate and stronger than the motor, if "clutch it up in 3rd gear" means to wheelie the bike using the awesome power of the CG motor you may be optimistic.

Clutching it up on lighter smaller Grom is more about shifting your own weight i would think....

Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
The stock clutch on my Hawk seems plenty adequate and stronger than the motor, if "clutch it up in 3rd gear" means to wheelie the bike using the awesome power of the CG motor you may be optimistic.

Clutching it up on lighter smaller Grom is more about shifting your own weight i would think....
And the easiest way to shift your weight on a Hawk in order to loft the front wheel is to move your feet to the passenger foot pegs. Depending on how tall you are, you may find it to be easier with more pulled back bars, in addition.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Thanks HB. You have a memory like a steel trap!

Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post

mine will wheelie in third no problem till i went to a 17 tooth front spocket now its just 2nd. i think i could get it up in third now with some technique.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
easier way is to get it into third let off throttle let front forks compress then full throttle puuling up with your hands......off you go

Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 PM   #12

Is this the new wheelie thread?

I think he is riding a 1981 Kawasaki KX250 in that video. I saw Doug when he was riding KDX175 in the Joie Chitwood Thrill Show or Stunt Show because son was running it at that time. Doug could scrape the dirt with his rear fender.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 PM   #13

If the clutch isn't slipping stiffer springs won't help you wheelie it. Wheelies are more about the rider than the ride, learn to work with the machine you have.

If when you dump the clutch the revs don't come down quickly then maybe you have use for springs. Getting the clutch to bite harder than normal might actually hurt your wheelie endeavors and will certainly hurt the various parts that are being shock loaded.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #14

I can see stiffer springs as a benefit if you're at your football weight, like I am. Too much mass can overcome weaker springs and allow the discs to slip.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #15