Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Well that's exactly why I ordered the 3 set for the rear and 2 for the front the day you posted this thread! I was just wanting to clarify that I wasnt reading it wrong.
Good thing you didn't order the bearings from CSC or even check with them. They might have sold you a set of 5.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-REAR-WHEEL-s/166.htm

They are showing two on each side, item #12 (same as front) and item added after #20.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Good thing you didn't order the bearings from CSC or even check with them. They might have sold you a set of 5.

They are showing two on each side, item #12 (same as front) and item added after #20.
At this point the only thing I know for certain is ... I have not taken mine apart. 2 others have and there is an obvious point of disagreement on the number of cartridges. I covered my bases and ordered 2 additional rear bearing cartridges based on your posting of the CSC information. Worse case scenario I resell them or they become dust collectors.

Thanx for the post!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #93

Golly, these are very common bearings. Even if I end up with a couple left over I suspect they will be useful on my other bikes. I don't see a 'use by' date on any in my tool box.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Golly, these are very common bearings. Even if I end up with a couple left over I suspect they will be useful on my other bikes. I don't see a 'use by' date on any in my tool box.
I agree. The bearings are inexpensive, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have extra bearings.

There is a very real possibility that Zongshen changed the design of the rear hub. I am busy enough here at China Riders, that I don't frequent other forums. If somebody finds four bearings in his hub, then he obviously needs four bearings. If he finds two bearings, as I did, then he only needs two.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2016, 01:51 AM   #95

Quote:

Thanks for posting this information, Jay. The diagram for the rear wheel shows two bearings, which matches my wheel. However, I overlooked item #20, since it lacked a diagram.

Apparently the rear hub has been changed. As I showed earlier, my hub only has two bearings. However, it seems a newer, improved hub now has four bearings in the sprocket. Therefore, I am editing my previous posts to add this information.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-30-2016, 02:00 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
I'm sorry if I've read right past it but over at Adventure Riders it is posted that for the rear wheel alone we need:Rear Hub Bearing Sizes

(2) Rear Hub Bearings, Sprocket Side: 6202 2RS
(2) Rear Hub Bearings, Brake Rotor Side: 6302 2RS

(1) Sprocket Carrier Bearing: 6004 2RS

Spud is that your experience as well ? I mistook the posts as need only one each on the rear.
Thanks for reporting this information, Doug.

I had a problem with my stock rear hub, and CSC sent me a replacement. However, I suspect CSC sent me a hub from one of their test bikes, which had an earlier version of the hub. The replacement hub has two sprockets, as I have shown. However, I searched through my pile of used parts, and found the hub which originally came with my RX3. Indeed, it has four bearings. The sprocket side has two, 6202 2RS bearings, and the brake rotor side has two, 6302 bearings, as reported on ADVRider. The sprocket carrier has a single, 6004 2RS bearing.

I am editing my previous posts to correct the information.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-30-2016, 02:40 AM   #97

Thanks all for the research and updates! As long as we keep the discussion going we'll get it all figured out

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Thanks all for the research and updates! As long as we keep the discussion going we'll get it all figured out
quite right sir ! I think that's what makes this place special

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #99

sucks,,,i tried both links ,an the pit posse kit isn't available on either one ,,so gotta look around!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #100

Three versus five bearing rear hubs

I know we have gone over the number of bearings in the RX3 rear hub. But I just want to clarify a few points.

Spud started this topic by reporting a fractured bearing in an older version of the rear hub that only had three bearings. It seems, however, that we now believe that all the RX3's that CSC has sold in the US have five bearings in the rear.

Has anyone else found a three bearing rear hub in CSC's bikes in the United States?

And has there been any failure or problem with the five bearing hubs?

Of course, you should always check the feel of wheel bearings when changing tires. But if no one has had problems with the five bearing design, I'll be a little less concerned about unexpected failures.

CSC now sells kits with the five bearings and seals, and advertises that the bearings are made in Japan. When Spud first alerted us to a potential problem, I purchased some SKF bearings from an Ebay seller that turned out to be made in India. I'd still use them but would have opted for the Japanese bearing set if I had known.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I know we have gone over the number of bearings in the RX3 rear hub. But I just want to clarify a few points.

Spud started this topic by reporting a fractured bearing in an older version of the rear hub that only had three bearings. It seems, however, that we now believe that all the RX3's that CSC has sold in the US have five bearings in the rear.

Has anyone else found a three bearing rear hub in CSC's bikes in the United States?

And has there been any failure or problem with the five bearing hubs?

Of course, you should always check the feel of wheel bearings when changing tires. But if no one has had problems with the five bearing design, I'll be a little less concerned about unexpected failures.

CSC now sells kits with the five bearings and seals, and advertises that the bearings are made in Japan. When Spud first alerted us to a potential problem, I purchased some SKF bearings from an Ebay seller that turned out to be made in India. I'd still use them but would have opted for the Japanese bearing set if I had known.
I have not changed mine and it's an early version. I figured I have until the rear tire is toast....but we'll see. I'll end up replacing them with the CSC version.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #102

I just swapped rear tire, thought the sprocket carrier bearing felt a bit rough so I changed it. Happened to have a correct size drift to help persuade the spacer out of the old bearing.

I confirmed I have four bearings in my main hub (2015 RX3 from first batch.) They felt OK.

But any advice on changing the four bearings? Do you just warm the hub and knock the whole stack out at once?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #103

Wheel Bearing Remover

For removing shagged wheel bearings on the cheap

Name:  Bearing Remover.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  91.9 KB

Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #104

Quite smart there, Katflap. Great alternative use of something intended for something else.

Or as I call it, "Substi-tool-tion.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #105

Quote:
Quite smart there, Katflap. Great alternative use of something intended for something else.

Or as I call it, "Substi-tool-tion.
Yeah, it is a smart idea, thats coz its not one of mine

Found the idea on the net whilst trying to find a bearing remover that didn't cost a kings ransom.

Had a few in my shed, worked a treat, what a result

thanks goes to some you tube biker