Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Pilot dilemma

So after the cat delete I figured the bike would be running a little more lean and since I was about half a turn away from closed on the 27.5 pilot, the 30 would be perfect now, but to my suprise it was running really rich..i had to have the pilot screw nearly all the way out for it to idle properly.
This is my dilemma because all the guides say if you area full turn or less away from closed pilot screw you should go up in size, but now at the 30 I'm about a turn or so away from completely open. Any input on this? Stay with the 30 or go back to 27.5? The 30 when set up correctly looks a tad too rich on the plug.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

I'm still trying to process what you're saying.

I'll repackage your logic in the way I remember it; if I need to turn the pilot mixture screw out more than two turns, my slow jet is too small. Does that help?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #3

I must have it mixed up. I though Pilot screw in towards close is to make it rich? and if you have it to many turns in you need to go up a Pilot size. Pilot screw out towards open makes it lean? too many turns out and you need smaller pilot?

Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

Not for a four stroke. On a four stroke, the mixture screw controls fuel, so the more it is opened, the more fuel flows.

On a two stroke, the mixture screw controls air.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Not for a four stroke. On a four stroke, the mixture screw controls fuel, so the more it is opened, the more fuel flows.

On a two stroke, the mixture screw controls air.
Ok..thank you for that..now things make sense again. So it seems the de-cat in fact did lean out my bike as I am almost all the way open on the 30 pilot.

Originally when I was first trying to the tune the bike, It would only run on choke, if I flipped the lever down to the other 2 positions it would die. Eventually after turning out the pilot screw way out it was able to idle fine.

Do you recommend I try the next size up in pilot?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 AM   #6

Definitely.