Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #1

So I messed about with the stock carb today. It's factory sealed to prevent tampering but all is easy to bypass. It's not the easiest to get out but it's doable with a little wiggling with the exhaust still in place.
The idle adjust is covered by a brass tube with a little rubber plug. You can either grab the tube with grips and simply twist it off or use a little pick to get the plug out. I did both and ending up putting the tube back on and using the rubber plug access to make adjustments to the idle. I figured the cover was a good precaution to prevent the screw from backing out. I did raise the idle just a tad.

The mixture screw is covered by a brass plug under the carb. I drilled a small hole in it then used a tapered screw to grab the inside of the hole and grabbed that with grips and just pulled it out. The factory setting was 2.5 turns out which is already an indication the pilot jet is too lean.
The bowl is held on by breakaway safety screws with no means visible of loosening them via tools. I just used grips to slowly unscrewed them by grabbing the sides of the screw. You could also Dremel a cut into them and use a flathead.

The stock jetting on mine was 102 main and 37 pilot. They were Keihin threaded. I had a lot of main jets available so popped a 112 in just to see how it did. I didn't have any pilot jets at hand but it needs a bigger one. At least a 40 or 42. I have loads of popping on decel still.
The needle is not adjustable via circlips so ordered a few shims to get the needle up a little. I'm not even sure it needs it but it was cheap enough to get a couple.

The bike runs much much better with the 112 jet. It can probably go bigger which I am planning on doing once I get my pilot jets in. Picked up about 5 miles an hour on the top end and the motor just hits harder all around. I'm gonna say this is probably the first mod you should make.