Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Hawk registration and plates in Oregon and price question

I have interest in buying a brand new 250 Hawk, already assembled, no miles yet and from a private party on clist, for approx 1200$. This bike has the factory paperwork but nothing else.

Wonder if it’s titleable and plateable in Oregon, and is 1200$ a good deal?

Seems like it would be a great second bike for family and friends to ride. I have the KLX and then the small TTR for the sister and wife, but another 250 would be nice, especially at that price. I think. Unless they aren’t really worth that much?

Also, Happy New Year!
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

I would be curious why they are selling it in the first place. Possibly buyers regret, but who knows.

At 1200 bucks, it is roughly about 200-300 less than having a crate delivered to your house by most sellers, so it's not a bad deal really.

The only way to really know if it is registerable would be to contact your local DMV office. That said, on this thread somebody did mention they successfully registered a Hawk in Oregon, so who knows.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

If you can get by with 49 state legality, then the Bashan Enforcer is the way to go. Essentially the same bike, but much easier to register as long as you don't live in Cali. emissions states
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #3

Unless the law has been changed you need a certificate of origin and an EPA certificate of compliance to get it plated in Oregon. AFAIK the Hawk doesn't have an EPA cert. I've always gotten quick and accurate info from the main DMV office in Salem.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

Thank you guys! Yes, I was kind of thinking maybe he’s selling because he found out it couldn’t be registered. Sounds like buy the Bashan, same or similar price, shipped to my door and also easier to register in the long run. I’ll definitely check with Salem tho before ever getting one. Thanks again!

L
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

Old 01-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

Some people have been able to register the Hawk here in Oregon but I din't want to take the chance on it so I bought the Bashan. Think its easier if you had bought the bike and had the certificate of origin in your name and also depending on if they put motorcycle or dirt bike on it. I've seen a couple on CL off and on plated for sale around PDX area from 800-1200.
2017 Bashan BSR 250 AKA Enforcer : Ebay Exhaust, Mikuni Carb 115 Main 27.5 Pilot, Digital Cluster from mjstef hawkclusters@gmail.com, LED head and taillights, smoked LED turn signals, brush guards, grips.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

I purchased my Hawk new and didn’t have any trouble getting it registered and plated here in southern OR. I also have a second Hawk and a Magician bought used and they were already plated.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRAFTER View Post
I purchased my Hawk new and didn’t have any trouble getting it registered and plated here in southern OR. I also have a second Hawk and a Magician bought used and they were already plated.
Thanks! Did the Hawk need both the MSO and an EPA Certificate? Also, my 2006 Roketa (no longer own but was titled and registered in Oregon) had the weirdest VIN. It literally tracked to a Chevrolet made in South Africa as far as I could tell... I think they just stamped random numbers on it. Sheesh.

I’m not gonna buy the Hawk, but it’s for sale in the Coos Bay Area Clist... if anyone is interested...
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt