Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

New to the China ATV's

New to the forum from Ohio here. Me and my boys ride name brand dirt bikes and my wife has decided she wanted a quad and get into riding. Couldnt see spending a lot of money on a quad so I bought her a 2018 Tao Tao 150G. Nice looking quad and runs well. Just stopping in to say hi!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

Welcome. Got any pics of 5he new machine?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Here ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F09A10AD-3A3F-44D4-9213-4A4CF2623B0A.jpg (20.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 3ED97C3D-A42F-4DB5-9479-A42AC9B435C9.jpg (20.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 57AE1C72-CAC8-4FFD-A4C6-2DC720FB03C8.jpg (20.6 KB, 84 views)

Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

sweet ride

Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Welcome! Does your quad have reverse in the rear axle, under that cover?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Does your quad have reverse in the rear axle, under that cover?
It has reverse, but not sure what you mean by under the rear cover.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

There is a cover over the rear axle that sort of resembles a snow shovel. What's under it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
There is a cover over the rear axle that sort of resembles a snow shovel. What's under it?
Just a cover over the chain and sprocket.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #9

Ok. I have one where reverse is in the rear axle, whereas yours is the planetary type. Your reverse mechanism is mounted directly to the output shaft of the gearbox.

I recommend that you drain and fill the reversing box as well as the gearbox. I use 75/90W synthetic.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Ok. I have one where reverse is in the rear axle, whereas yours is the planetary type. Your reverse mechanism is mounted directly to the output shaft of the gearbox.

I recommend that you drain and fill the reversing box as well as the gearbox. I use 75/90W synthetic.
I wasnt aware of oil for the reversing box? Thought mine only had engine oil. Will have to check on this.

Another question: This unit has the GY6 150 motor. I have looked into replacing the carb with one from whygostock.com. Will this increase the power a little bit? I know it is only a 150, but was disappointed in the power. Any other mods i can do to squeak out a little more power? My wife will be riding this unit and she is new to quads, but I think it needs a little bit more for hills and trails. Let me know if there is anything you think might help.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #11

There's plenty, but make one change at a time. The most obvious upgrade for my quad was the muffler, since the stock unit had a tortuous path for exhaust to follow, finally exiting through a tiny tube. I also ditched the stock airbox, both because it was poor quality and because it was hard to reach. I then installed a pod filter on a length of ABS pipe, so the filter could live under the seat. Once I changed the air filter and muffler, I had to increase the slow and main jet sizes to compensate. It is much better now.

The GY6 150 is a scooter motor, so the output shaft is where the rear wheel normally mounts. As you stand at the left side of the quad, look to the very rear of the left side cover; that's where the GY6 gearbox lives. Plenty of vids out there on changing the gearbox oil, but the bottom line is that you'll find a lower plug for draining and an upper for filling.

As you stand on the right side of the quad and look towards the output shaft of the motor, you'll see the reversing gearbox; it is what the chain is attached to. That also has gear oil in it, and I recommend changing it.

The engine does not have a wet clutch, so motorcycle oil is unnecessary. I use 10W30 synthetic there.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Thanks for all the info. New to the Chinese quads so I have a lot to learn. Me and my boys ride name brand dirt bikes. So it looks like 3 places to drain and refill with oil on these units? The manual that comes with these are useless.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #13

Exactly right; engine oil, gearbox oil and reversing device oil. If you have disc brakes, change that fluid as well.