Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #16

fuel

Well,

There actually isn't any fuel smell after all those starts and when I took out the plug it "wasn't" wet. When I open the fuel petcock fuel comes out in a good stream and when I took the fuel hose off the carb, fuel comes out but not as fast much. The fuel line seems like its a little long from the fuel petcock to the carb. Would that make any difference? It work ok when it was running.

Also, I just unscrewed the fuel drain screw and gas came out so gas s getting to carb I think.

Its not getting any fuel maybe, eh??? I meticulously cleaned my carbuerator. What else can I do or try? Thanks for all your help man. Trying to stay motivated.

Do Honda's and Yamaha's require this much maintenance as compared to the China Bikes?

Michael A

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #17

No bike likes it's motor full of water and mud , But no they do not require as much work to keep riding as a China bike. But these are simple to work on and a lotta fun if taken care of.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #18

Re: still won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by puush
The build up in mud water in my Air Box was for awhile but the bike still started. Barely.

My bike still wont start. The Air Filter is clear and the exhaust isn't clogged so its "getting air". I removed the obstruction from the fuel filter and cleaned the carb meticulously so its "getting fuel.
Have you completely dismantled the carb? I would be surprised to learn that the jets aren't at least a little clogged from whatever got through the filter. If you haven't already, unscrew each jet and force aerosol carb cleaner through. I'm guessing a fuel problem, since you say the plug isn't wet, and it isn't even trying.

Quote:
Took out the Spark plug and tested it to see if its getting any spark and I got a got blue spark. So its "getting spark".
No offence intended when I ask, how did you check your spark plug? Did you check it on your bike or another machine?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #19

spark

I checked spark by putting spark plug in spark plug wire and and turning bike over then touching plug to engine. I got a goo blue spark.

I can try cleaning carbeuretor again. I know gas is getting to carb but my dad thinks its not getting to engine. How does gas go from carb to engine?

Thanks for all the help.

Michael A

Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #20

carb

i think I'll clean the carb again with carb cleaner solvent and compressed air. I searched on web and found lots articles. my bike was in lots of mud and creeks after I first bought it.

I just figure fuel would get to engine if carb bowl was full of gas. But, maybe not.

Michael A

Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #21

Take that carb completally apart, Check the float is not stuck, Also check the needles and seats, And check the intake for any obstruction or air leaks. I think You have this narrowed down to the fuel from the carb...A little time cleaning and inspection and she should fire right up....Just in time for summer. There is a section on here that shows the carb in great deatail that Frostbite put togethor.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #22

You mentioned you had compressed air available. You might try taking the filter off and blasting some air down the throat of the carb. The rush of high speed air past the venturi in the carb could displace whats blocking the fuel. Might be worth a try just before dissasembly again.

Be careful as will likely get some gas to splatter back at you.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #23

Before you pull the carb apart, try starter fluid to make sure the bike will run. If the jets are clogged "sometimes" you can seal the carb with the palm of your hand while cranking the engine and it will pull crap out of the jets (I had a Jeep that needed this treatment everytime I went off road.).

If you do take the carb apart, use a thin, thin, thin bit of wire to run through all the jets and passages to make sure they are clear. Don't use anything stiff like a drill bit or you can fubar the jets. Compressed air and carb cleaner won't always clear things out, a wire will.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #24

carb cleaning

Thanks for all the feedback dudes. I read some other articles after doing a "carb cleaning" search on google. Last night I took my carb off and this time there was "NO" gas in the fuel bowl when I unscrewed the fuel drain screw. Hence, I made the fuel clog worst when I cleaned it last.

I bought chem dip to dip my carb in and bought some canned air.
So I will blow the s&*t out of carb after chem dip and then clean the other bits(pilot jets, etc). Hopefully this will work.

On another note, i bought stock carb and exhuast for my DB-27. I am going back to all stock carb, air filter and exhaust and hopefully it will stay running again. Maybe I should adjust DB-27 valves too. Anyways, thanks for all the help/solutions dudes. You guys will all go to heaven for this. Or where we go.

Michael A :twisted:

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #25

bike starts-->barely

Well, I got the bike started and it runs barely.

I cleaned the carb thoroughly with Chem Dip. But the only way the bike will start is if I hold the throttle "Wide Open" with "No Choke". It is more or less just idling at Full Throttle. If I go 3/4 throttle or less it dies. My battery is also getting drained from trying to start it.

Also, after I get it running and hold throttle wide open, it will only idle, and I can hear a metal "clunking" sound in the engine like, clunk, clunk, clunk. What is that??? I hope something in the engine isn't really screwed up.

I did adjust the valves but maybe I can try adjusting valves again. PLEASE HELP! with any solutions or suggestions. Hopefully I am almost there. Thanks for all the help dudes.

Michael A

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #26

Check the valves, After the carb fiasco that would be the first place I look It's got fuel now it needs to breath.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #27

carb adjustment

do you think i need to adjust the "Pilot Screw" on the carb? I didnt change any carb settings. Just wondering. Thanks for help.

Michael A

Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #28

If it ran before that maybe not, I would double check anything I touched to make sure I did not make a mistake.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #29

i'll readjust valves

i"ll readjust valves again and make sure I am Top Dead Center on intake stroke.

MA

Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #30

Re: i'll readjust valves

Quote:
i"ll readjust valves again and make sure I am Top Dead Center on intake stroke.

MA
Do you mean TDC on the compression stroke? That's where both valves will be completely closed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer