Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #1

Grin Did the Tool Tube Upgrade! CSC TT250

I know I'm not the first person to do it, but it was super easy and gives the bike some symmetry. Uses one existing mount hole & just requires you to drill one hole in the rear fender plastic. Comes with mounting hardware plus drill bit.

I'll remove the sticker on the tube cap when I want to deal with that adhesive!

I have been using an eyeglasses cinch-bag as a more durable toolkit pouch. That plus the registration (no banana ) was all you could fit in there as you are aware, so if you haven't done this upgrade, quit stalling! You can find the tool tube on RevZilla or CycleGear for about $17.

Bonus pic of the Zong with new sexy handguards and folding mirrors.

Another suggestion I have for anyone looking to upgrade storage:

The Bilt V3 Mini Tank Bag is just small enough that it seems to fit securely over our gas tanks in either orientation, though I've yet to give it the off-road shake-off test. It won't add a crazy amount of storage but it's another way to keep a set of tools with you, and when I saw that it unzips to gain more vertical storage height I thought that was a neat idea.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #2

Awesome to see the pics, I'll probably do the same thing myself.

What mirrors are those? I've been wondering about the other ones CSC has but was hoping to find something that cuts down on the vibration a little.

That Bilt bag is actually already in my cycle gear wish list, good to know it's a good fit. Does it seem like there's tie-down spots on it if you wanted to add a tether or two to secure it down? I don't do much dirt (yet, hopefully) but have always been a little scared of the magnetic tank bags if I'm going 55mph for an hour or two on a windy day.

I also noticed the toe shifter, does this bike just use like a "standard" fit? Again, the folding one on CSC caught my eye, but that's because I haven't looked anywhere else yet and am curious on my options. I know that thing will bend like a tin can if it falls over.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #3

It's a great upgrade, did it myself. https://mymotorcycleblog.com/tbr7-tool-storage-upgrade/

I did the Boom Vader fix where you have the bottom completely welded over, and now have no gas level indicator. So picked up a spare fuel bottle and it too fits in that Burrito tube. So trying to figure how to mount the tube on my Boom Vader as well.

Nice pics!!!!

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 09-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Nice. Wasn't aware of these.

Here is one that comes in different sizes and colors, and even includes a lockable version in two sizes. Even just running a twist tie through the hasp would keep the lid from accidentally unscrewing.
https://www.amazon.com/MOTO4U-Motorc...4&sr=8-14&th=1

I like this one for its reinforced mounting points.
https://www.amazon.com/GIDIBII-Motor...s%2C75&sr=8-10

I also like these knockoff Pelican cases at Harbor Freight. Here's the smallest, $15 one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-w...ack-64550.html
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #5

I've had a burrito tube on my Magician for years. I keep a 1 liter fuel bottle in it. I've had to use it a couple of times when I'm riding in the middle of no where.

2016 Magician 250

Old 09-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #6

Hey, I got replies! How exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrills View Post
It's a great upgrade, did it myself. https://mymotorcycleblog.com/tbr7-tool-storage-upgrade/
Excellent guide! I bookmarked your blog and will try to remember to visit on occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Here is one that comes in different sizes and colors, and even includes a lockable version in two sizes. Even just running a twist tie through the hasp would keep the lid from accidentally unscrewing.
I like this one for its reinforced mounting points.
I also like these knockoff Pelican cases at Harbor Freight.
I loathe Amazon due to bad experiences I've had with them as a previous loyal customer, plus recent experiences with them when dealing with their customer service on a business account. Then there's the ethical concerns...but sometimes they have things you can't get elsewhere, and not for the same price, either, so I get it.

The tube doesn't seem to have a danger of unscrewing due to the rubber gasket that also provided the waterproofing, but maybe I'll eat my words there. Too bad it isn't lockable, though. The tube I used does have washers for both sides (inner washers are smaller, has some rubber on them as well).

The case mounted to the back of my Zong is also an Apache! I believe it is the "Large" size. Originally it was my pistol case but I used this as an excuse to buy a larger pistol case so I could repurpose the existing one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
I've had a burrito tube on my Magician for years. I keep a 1 liter fuel bottle in it. I've had to use it a couple of times when I'm riding in the middle of no where.
I don't typically get too far from home, and would probably die in the Nevada heat long before I could deplete the fuel tank, but I did see someone (maybe you) doing that with fuel and it's a sweet idea versus a traditional fuel can.

My initial goal with the bigger tube was so I could enhance the toolkit with a 17mm wrench plus a socket wrench with 19mm socket so I'm prepared to remove a wheel if ever needed again. Could probably fit my tire spoons in there as well, rather than in the tank bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
What mirrors are those? I've been wondering about the other ones CSC has but was hoping to find something that cuts down on the vibration a little.
BikeMaster Enduro Folding Mirror - You'll need 2 of these in 10mm Universal, only available from RevZilla and not CycleGear for some reason. I will say that they still vibrate at speed so you won't have a completely clear picture on the road, but I haven't had an issue with them blowing backward yet. Seems like those complaints are a matter of tightening the things as they are very adjustable. 4 nuts on each mirror though I got them perfect without even using a wrench. I selected them mainly for the folding advantage and I find them nicer cosmetically and lower profile than stock.
Quote:
That Bilt bag is actually already in my cycle gear wish list, good to know it's a good fit. Does it seem like there's tie-down spots on it if you wanted to add a tether or two to secure it down? I don't do much dirt (yet, hopefully) but have always been a little scared of the magnetic tank bags if I'm going 55mph for an hour or two on a windy day.
I can now say that the bag will not shake loose during normal riding. Even some bumpy offroad, it held great! But when I dropped the bike it got knocked off a couple times, possibly due to my thigh or leg brushing against it. I had it straight up and down with the magnet flaps on the left and right, but it likely would hold better with the bag sitting horizontally and the extra magnets going vertical on the tank, avoiding the plastic at the sides entirely and also avoiding any contact with my legs.
Quote:
I also noticed the toe shifter, does this bike just use like a "standard" fit? Again, the folding one on CSC caught my eye, but that's because I haven't looked anywhere else yet and am curious on my options. I know that thing will bend like a tin can if it falls over.
I used the one from CSC to start, but it does bend quite easily and eventually it was just a little wobbly-feeling and definitely strayed from its original shape after repeated bend-backs. This new shifter so far has barely bent at all and I've not had to bend it back. I'm a little better off road now and don't know if I've subjected it to the same conditions. I believe it was marketed as a shifter for the CRF230 but also the Hawk.