Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #1

Oh Boy....It's shiney and new

I caught wind of this PRK site and saw something I'm not sure I can live without. 8O
Please understand....for the PRK....this is a really good price for something you can Green Sticker, purchased new.
Seems to have the 'Tried and True" 250cc 167FML Hondanoid pushrod (230cc?) Quad-type motor in it...(not sure what they call it when it's a quad) with a reverse. It's a 4 speed manual. Does anyone here have one and is it a hand clutch like a real motorcycle or an automatic clutch in it where you put in it in gear and go??????? I have an email into the company and they sent out their 'auto-response' right away. Good sign. That being said....anyone done business with these guys before?
Thanks....any input is greatly apprecialted.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...roducts_id/843

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #2

Here's some good news for you. My buddy Ron and I each bought a Hondoid from them about 2 years ago and they were very good to deal with.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #3

My Gio Beast 200cc quad is set up like that. It's a four speed, and reverse is in the basement where first would normally be. It is a typical manual motorcycle clutch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #4

The shocks suck, the swingarm is weak, and all the tubing holding up the plastics is too soft...but for $1000 it's worth it. It's the same setup as my HiBird and it's been good to me.

It is a clutch motor...one of the easiest clutches I've ever used, too.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #5

That website seems to have a lot of good prices...there's a clone of mine for about $950. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. How good are those watercooled 250's?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

I wouldn't go near the water cooled version. No need for the added complexity at this power level.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

I figured for the money, it was a pretty smokin deal and I know the pushrod motor is bulletproof....but the manual clutch is a no-go. I was going to store it at our friends log house in Pine Grove and let her use it when we're not, to haul tools and brush around her acreage. She has zero riding experience but is very talented, coordinated and picks things up right away. Very sturdy woman.

I was also looking at the 150 with the CV type trans. MY CB GUY sells a ton of those horizontal funny looking motors and he says, "No problems".
Anyone have one of these set-ups? She'd be able to drive an automatic.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...roducts_id/746
This also seems like a really good bargain, for the money.
Please keep in mind it would be used for light work duty and trail cruising.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

That looks to be the same 150cc GY6 setup that we have on my daughter's quad. It is a remarkably capable and powerful little unit, and it has even climbed some hills that we shouldn't have tried. That said, it has been modded with a new muffler, coil, Uni and jets.

I used it to tow jr. dragsters one weekend, and it never complained. Ours has reverse, but otherwise it has no gears. Squeeze the throttle and go.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #9

The only experiance I've had with a watercooled CB was the PP400 and it was quite negative. Multiple time consuming issues related to the cooling system. Not recommended.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Okay...I really don't like water-cooled off-roads. There's no need to complicate what you're doing to that extreme, no matter where the bike is made.

I just like some of the quads listed on that site...and I like the prices...but most are watercooled.