Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Sturdiness Question

Hi folks. Been a while and thought I'd stop in.

For the last few months, I've borrowed my brothers old beat up Yamaha Grizzly 250? 2WD quad for working on our hill and hauling around our cart. It does a fine job but alas....he'll eventually want it back to haul around his tow-behind mower for his 10 acres.

I've been looking at the Tao Tao-type 250 (230?) ranch quad with the manual clutch and also, one of the GY6 150cc models for replacing the Grizzly when it departs.

Our loads consist of some rocks we haul to the rock pile, maybe a dried out stump or two up to the burn piles and mostly brush. Anything heavier than that goes in the back of our truck and is taken around the road to the top of the hill.

I believe both quads will have the power to do what we want regarding pulling the cart up our back hill, though I'm a bit worried about the faster gearing of the GY6. Every one I've ridden seems to be geared for the open road!

In your vast quad experience, what do you think will give the best service regarding durability? The CV of the GY6 or the manual clutch/regular tranny of the Honda clone?

Thanks for any input.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

I have a Taotao ATA250D which is the "sport utility" model with the Honda CG250 type engine. Stock gearing is 15/40 which is way too high IMO. I've changed it to 13/40 which is better but even lower would be good for creeping around and hauling stuff. I can't speak to the durability of the GY6 version but the CG250 version should be as reliable as the CG250 clone bikes. One thing about the ATA250D is it runs quite hot when going slow on a warm day. I've seen 309 degrees on the oil temp gauge, so it's good to use synthetic oil.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, Mudflap. I have a pushrod Hondanoid 200 in a GY2 and it's been bulletproof. The motor is amazingly spunky and responsive. Even the stock carb has yielded no problems once I rejetted it, so I'm leaning toward the quad like yours. I've done a sprocket change on it so I have a few laying around. Not sure what size though.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

Front sprocket that fits is a JTF259.13. I also have a JTF259.12 which fits but the plate that holds it in place has to be modified so the chain doesn't hit. Not much metal left on it so I was concerned it would break.

Rear sprocket 40 tooth, center hole 36mm, 6 bolts on 56mm center. The only ones I could find that would fit are 40 tooth available from places that sell Taotao ATV parts.

The stock carb on the ATA250D is a PZ27, a bit smaller than the PZ30 carbs used on my 200s. Good for lower RPM running. I've had zero problems with any of my Chinese carbs.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Welcome back, 2LZ! How are things at your property coming along?

I have both types of quad, and they've both been terrific. Son of Weldangrind and I used the 150 GY6 to tow Jr. Dragsters, while riding two up. I don't recommend that kind of punishment, but it never failed.

We also rode both quads in a parade, and I'll never ride a clutched quad for that again. We rode so slowly that I was clutching all of the time, and the motor got quite hot. The GY6 rode like a charm, and the case fan helps to keep it cool.

I've also had zero trouble with China carbs, except finding jets for Keihin clones as I've made mods. The GY6 carb I have is a Keihin CV, and it's quite nice quality. The fuel enrichment circuit is automatic, and it always starts.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

oil and fans

Not good to use the synthetic oil in these... too thin for lube... you could always put an extra fan on if you want,... or change up to a higher synthetic oil grade... 10-40 synthetic ... you can pick up a lot of 12 volt bolt on fans at harbor freight or other places..

Old 08-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome back, 2LZ! How are things at your property coming along?

I have both types of quad, and they've both been terrific. Son of Weldangrind and I used the 150 GY6 to tow Jr. Dragsters, while riding two up. I don't recommend that kind of punishment, but it never failed.

We also rode both quads in a parade, and I'll never ride a clutched quad for that again. We rode so slowly that I was clutching all of the time, and the motor got quite hot. The GY6 rode like a charm, and the case fan helps to keep it cool.

I've also had zero trouble with China carbs, except finding jets for Keihin clones as I've made mods. The GY6 carb I have is a Keihin CV, and it's quite nice quality. The fuel enrichment circuit is automatic, and it always starts.
Hey Weld! Property has come along slowly this year for a couple reasons. One, I had some unexpected health issues that are now on the mend but before that, we spent most of Spring frantically building a couple of decks before the Dr. carved on me. One a rot replacement, other new. I may post the project in the general forum.

Thanks for the parade input. I never thought much about the low speed pulling and heat buildup. I just wasn't sure if the rubber belt of the CV would cook or not in an uphill, pulling environment. I know the GY6 scooter motors are also quite durable. Things to ponder.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #8

I'd enjoy reading about (and seeing pics of) your decks. I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Even if the GY6 belt, clutch and variator cooks, parts are cheap as chips on eBay.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer