Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #16

The electric bike is an RX1 by the looks huh - not the RX3 but rather its little brother
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elec RX1.jpg (54.5 KB, 205 views)

Old 01-31-2019, 04:48 PM   #17

Cordless? English for "Doesn't work."

Pretty much my experience. Latest failure day before yesterday, when I needed to drill holes in a rubber mud flap and the 2 month old battery operated drill I bought for the purpose would not take a charge. Back to jumper cables, invertor, extension cord, and old corded drill that actually works at -2*F.

I tried the smart phone thing. Batteries went dead half way through planning a route. An inverter for the laptop, a powerpoint charger for the wireless internet, and I can stay online for hours, and actually see the graphics without squinting.

I've had several students on board try to use their smart phones as a navigation planning and guidance system. Failure after failure. Fun stuff like places phones don't work (laptop can remember and show map details without wireless, phones can't), routes in a 4 meter tall truck going under a 3 meter tall bridge, 32000kg truck over a 13000kg weight limit, etc., etc., etc. Every company shop has a half dozen trucks with smashed tops at any given time.

Cheap gadgets piled on smart phones will kill you. If you need the real thing, buy it.

Anywho, why the lumber under the kickstand? Keep the battery acid from leaking?

Old 02-01-2019, 04:56 AM   #18

Ah, the 12VDC-220VAC inverter - that irreplaceable lifeline for my "mobile office"

And I bought mine as joke from Aliexpress a few years ago for 6-7 bucks or something like that, but it's still working like a charm.

The only time I actually use a smartphone is when I need its wi-fi tethering service. It's a bit of an annoyance to take out the simcard from the old, beaten up, lumpy phone with buttons, and put it into the slick and delicate, crystal (because of the LCD) one, but it's worth the hassle. I can't count the number of times I had to "reassemble" my phone after yet another flight from my pocket, or hand, or tabletop, or somewhere else. Plus, I can operate with it with gloves and dirty fingers.

My old-fart view on all this cordless craze is that these tools are something like the Swiss Army knife - yes, you can do some emergency patch work with them, but if you really need to do something properly, you have to take out your set of wrenches and screwdrivers, i.e. something with a cord or engine in it.

I wish it wasn't like that, but that's my experience so far. Probably there's something wrong with me though...

Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #19

Some days I feel really old. I work in tech and run two tech businesses. I work with a lot of much younger people. Then I read stuff like the above and I feel much better about my mental age and attitude. "Wireless everything" is never the right answer, and yet, it is very often the right answer. A week ago I was talking with a client's exec team about moving an office and setting up a pretty high end meeting/discussion/recording room. One of them commented about how just a few years ago we had a mess of connectors and cables to accommodate all of the junk someone might show up with to plug in. Now they have a single $30 wireless device that works with anything anyone shows up with.

There's something interesting about breaking out my ancient hand chisels and other old tools from my dad. But if real work needs to get done, I like my tables saw, drill press, and Li-ion powered tools that never let me down.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG View Post
Ah, the 12VDC-220VAC inverter - that irreplaceable lifeline for my "mobile office"
Or mobile bar. I love mine from HFT. Cheap and runs a blender while camping!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350