Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Electric RX3

Found this on the web and thought it would be interesting for those who hadn’t seen it.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ure-motorcycle

Old 01-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

I want to keep up on the development of this bike. It looks like a good alternative for the kind of riding I do, although Zongshen's choices of batteries, etc. will make a huge difference. Thanks for posting.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #3

Link doesn't work for me......I'd like to check it out too!
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Worked fine for me.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Being the stinkiest, nastiest places in the world, nice to see Chinese cities starting to clean themselves up. However, these days electrics simply are not compatible with my lifestyle, so no real interest.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

Electric is great for a city bike, not so good for an adventure bike.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 01-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #7

So, a typical "adventure" ride for me might be like the one I did yesterday. From my home in far northeast Solano county, California to the BART train station in El Cerrito, north of Oakland. Took the train to San Francisco & back, rode home. No freeways, just San Pablo Avenue from the delta down and back. Total distance, 140 miles. Why can't an electric bike do that? If a Zongshen could, I'd be interested.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
Why can't an electric bike do that?
Because the power to weight and cost becomes a significant challenge.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
So, a typical "adventure" ride for me might be like the one I did yesterday. From my home in far northeast Solano county, California to the BART train station in El Cerrito, north of Oakland. Took the train to San Francisco & back, rode home. No freeways, just San Pablo Avenue from the delta down and back. Total distance, 140 miles. Why can't an electric bike do that? If a Zongshen could, I'd be interested.
Yer a brave man riding a bike there! Our old office was in El Cerrito and I worked all around the Bay Area in my old job. Maniacal traffic there. I guess I'm geared more for Volcano. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Because cheap batteries are heavy and there comes a point where adding more batteries kills performance--it takes more amps to move more weight, so adding more batteries won't go enough further to be worthwhile.

On the other hand, expensive batteries don't weigh nearly as much, but some types tend to spontaneously combust when the chemicals that store the amps are exposed to air. Some types literally explode when hit with a significant jolt of electricity, such as when lightning strikes a power line nearby.

Some batteries do not perform well when weather is hot or cold. Some batteries require extensive computerized charging systems. Some must be refrigerated to be charged. Others must be heated. Charge times can ruin your day.

Most all batteries wear out, so batteries loose range over time. Your 140 mile range goes away a little every day.

Electric vehicles simply do not provide the turn-key readiness of gasoline engines.

Greenheads don't mention the myriad downsides of electric vehicles. Yes, electrics will adequately serve a few people, but not really all that many. Improperly managed charging and maintenance consume a lot more energy overall than is saved. Specialty metals for better battery types are very limited in supply, so, if you use them, and you need to replace them, and many such batteries have been sold in the mean time, it is reasonable to expect demand to significantly increase over supply, and the replacement battery costs skyrocket.

Battery manufacture and remanufacture is extremely polluting.

And that's just the tip of the contaminated iceberg. Electricity powering vehicles has its place, but it really isn't much of one. Some applications electricity is golden, but rare. Research the negatives thoroughly before investing.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #11

Five years from now, ICE will start to be replaced more easily with electric. Ten years from now we'll wonder if there's any future for gasoline at all. But it's just slightly early yet.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Because cheap batteries are heavy and there comes a point where adding more batteries kills performance--it takes more amps to move more weight, so adding more batteries won't go enough further to be worthwhile.
If we put the ecological aspect aside, because it's controversial to say the least, I always wonder how one expects to have a battery serve as a propulsion source, while the same battery technology can't even provide enough juice for a modern mobile phone to last more than a day or two at best. I know vehicle Li-Ion batteries have much more sophisticated management and are much bigger (and heavier as you point out), but still they can't really "run away from their roots/handicaps", can they?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #13

I'd be more than happy to be a Beta tester, for one of their Electric RX3's to use on my daily commute
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG View Post
can't even provide enough juice for a modern mobile phone to last more than a day or two at best.

They can. But consumers have chosen lighter and thinner over more time without charging. When it costs next to nothing to have a charge cable everywhere, why would you neglect to charge for days? My phone charges every night while I sleep, and it's in a dock on my desk right now while I work. Why would I want a thicker phone?

Old 01-31-2019, 02:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
T... to have a charge cable everywhere...
In my view, that kind of defies the idea of a "cordless phone". I mean, you just substitute the signal cable with the charging one, i.e. "tomeytoes" vs. tomatoes. I know this is oversimplification and there are nuances, but one can't argue much that using modern cordless gismos (or it's spelled "gismoes"?) involves quite a bit of hesitation and anxiety of the type, "Should I really use it now?", prompted by the awareness that every action drains the battery and that drainage is not that easy to replace.

I know I'm weird and by no means normal (), but I'm sure everyone's eyes and minds are much more often focused on a battery indicator than on a fuel gauge. My philosophy is that a in the abstract system called "Man and Machine", the weak element should be the "Man". In other words, I should be the one that runs out of energy before does the car, the motorcycle, the computer, the drill, the mower, etc.

From my perspective I can outrun most, if not all, modern battery-powered "tools". With ease! And I'm old... And grumpy. Well, my electronic wristwatch runs longer than me on a single charge, but it's not modern, so it doesn't count