Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #106

Enjoy 4 mins of full-on 100% genuine RX3 data on your Windows 64bit computer. Using the new PCHUD simulator from katflap productions.

Ok, settle down, here we go

This is the first stage of trying to get pchud to run on windows 64bit.
It Is fully functional pchud, but i still need to get the pesky com ports to work so it can't, as yet recieve a live data feed from your bike. But i'm working on it !

The download contains 2 installers
1/ dosbox ( this is free software from the internet)
2/ PCHUD64 ( This is my stuff)

Both come with uninstallers

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert so use at your own risk !!
http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/1KGRWK06/file.html

instructions, in this order -

Install dosbox,
Install pchud64
now you can launch dosbox from the shortcut it has created on your desktop.
after a short time you will see pchud on your screen.
-------------------------------------------------------

To play back data in pchud -

select the playback tab,
select open playback,
select k_flap.ply, then press ok button,
press the forward button in the main pchud screen and it will begin to play,
put your feet up and geek away!

---------------------------------------------------------------

shutting down pchud --

select the file tab,
select exit.
after a short while you will see a blank screen with " c:\> "
type " exit " but without the quotes and it will exit and return you to your desk top screen.

If you run in to problems, which i don't think you will, you can yank the plug from the wall socket or use these key commands
CTRL-F9 will quit dosbox
CTRL-F10 will restore mouse
ALT-ENTER or
ALT-RETURN will toggle fullscreen to a window screen

-------------------------------------------------------------------

a bit of info on the playback file i included ----

I was wanting to see how the fuel trims would react when presented with a rich mixture. so during this recording, about 3 or 4 times, i sprayed some butane gas in to the air box.
On one occasion it stalled the bike.
At about 3mins 25 i got it right and you can see the short term fuel trims (C L STFT COUNT, C L CORR FACT) go negative and dropping the pulse width to compensate for the rich mixture also the stepper motor opens the idle air control valve to let more air in.

Another note, it takes quite a long time before the "stable warm idle" to indicate at around 60-70 degs C

Last thing, pchud loads my latest par file, i will be posting notes on this soon ( you can select others)

Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #107

I believe that PCHUD is a really useful tool to have and use but, for me the problem has been understanding what it is telling me.

This is my attempt at doing just that.

Its worth remembering that though trouble fault codes are very useful the "MIL" light will only come on when problems have reached a point where the ECU can no longer compensate or beyond an acceptable limit.

first some EFI basics

http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/Umx8B0zW/file.html

some more random "ply recordings" and my new hud and par file.

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/cLsvgmhN/file.html

below is an attempt to explain

Name:  new hud image.jpg
Views: 3593
Size:  106.7 KB

Code:
status2
-------------
 CL ENABLED - engine running using "Closed Loop" (using O2 sensor, typically when in idle, part throttle or cruising)
 PRIME PULSE DISABLE - ECU injects a small amount of fuel when the ignition is turned. No more fuel is injected until the engine is cranking. Prime pulse should show disabled when engine is running.
 FUEL PUMP ON -   self explanitory
 ACC ENRICH ENABLED -  ACCELERATION ENRICHMENT ENABLED, (rich mixture) works much like the accelerator pump on a carb                       when you open the throttle quickly. Helps to eliminate hesitation

DECC ENLEAN ENABLED- DECCELERATION ENLEANMENT ENABLED, or fuel cut-off mode –  is enabled during periods of                                deceleration. In this mode, the ECU reduces injector pulse width or momentarily shuts the injector off in order to reduce high emissions and engine backfire. 
 ACC ENRICH EXIT -    Has left ACCELERATION ENRICHMENT state
 DEC ENLEAN EXIT-    Has left DECELERATION ENLEANMENT state

status3
----------

O2 SENSOR RICH -  O2 sensor detecting a rich mixture 
 C L ADAPTION RESET - Closed loop adaption reset, ECU resets long & short term trim to zero,(why and when ?)
                      " Idle speed control system
Idle speed control system possesses such functions as closed-loop control,
self learning, altitude correction, out of step automatic adjustment and
intelligent resetting, depending upon operating state of the engine"
 O2 SENSOR HEAT -  O2 sensor heating element enabled (helps to bring the O2 sensor sensor up to operating temprature                   more quickly)
 O2 SENSOR READY - O2 sensor has reached operating temperature  ( closed loop is only possible once this has happened)
 IACV CORRECTION ON -Idle air control valve correction on - don't know what form of correction this refers to
 IACV LOST STEP -Idle air control valve (stepper motor) there's no actual feedback from the IAC to the ECU to tell it                 that the commands have been carried out, instances of low system voltage may prevent the IAC from actually having the ability to carry these out, resulting in step count loss.

IACV MOVE INHIBIT - Idle air control valve move inhibit - indicates then the IAV is locked in the "park" position

IGNITION ON - Self explanitory

status4
---------------
MAPCID ENABLED- ( MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (sensor), CYLINDER INLET DETECTION)  - cylinder detection negates the need for a camshaft position sensor
 When engine cylinder is working in intake stroke, the intake valve suddenly
opens, and the manifold pressure near the intake valve drops sharply
(by about 1kPa). The sharp drop of pressure is detected by the MAP sensor, 
the ECU  processes this signal by means of
the software, to determine stroke. Enabling spark ignition and fuel injection to be on the correct stroke
 MAPCID YES/NO - SUCCESFULL DETECTION 

IDLE ENABLED - Is in a state of idle
 POWER ENRICHMENT ENABLED - Apllied when putting a continuous load on the engine
 PE AFR PROTECTION EN - Power enrichment air fuel ratio protection enabled - it makes sure fuel/air ratio never becomes to lean when the engine is under load and cause damage
 NEUTRAL SWITCH ON - Self explaitory
 MIL LIGHT ON -  malfunction indicating light - Indicates a fault

status 5
----------
 INL PRESS CORR ON - Inlet pressure correction on, The ECU is enabled so it can make corrections between actual atmospheric                     pressure and the base line of sea level (101kpa) atmospheric pressure ** i think **

BARO UPDATES ENABLE - Atmospheric pressure updates enabled
 SEQ SPARK ENABLED - Sequential spark enabled, opposite of wasted spark - uses the MAPCID to know the correct cycle to                     create spark.
                       The only advantage to sequential ignition is at idle and low speed. It will provide 
                      cleaner emissions and smoother idle. Over about 2500-300 RPM there is no advantage
 ENGINE IN RUN- Engine running
 STABLE WARM IDLE - The ECU is satisfied that all factors have been met its requirements for a stable effecient idle. One factor is the coolant temp needs to reach 60 - 70 deg C.

COLUMN 1
---------
 COOLANT TEMP - self explanitory
 ENGINE SPEED - self explanitory
 THROTTLE POSITION - (0 - 100 %)  reported by the throttle position sensor (TPS)
 IDLE RPM TARGET - pre programed desired idle speed
 BATTERY VOLTAGE - reported system voltage
 O2 VOLTAGE -  O2 sensor (lambda),  high= rich, low= lean ( initial high= sensor is heating)
 FUEL PUMP DUTY CYCLE- seems to report that the fuel pump is operational

COLUMN 2
--------
 FUEL PULSE WIDTH - length of time that fuel is been injected in milliseconds, (short= less, long= more)

IACV TARGET STEP - idle air control valve (stepper motor), variably ajusted by the ECU to suit a particular instance based on pre                    programmed info and live feed back from the sensors. (high= more air, low = less air)

TPS AN TO DIG- throttle position sensor analog to digital (a convertion of voltage to digital info for the ECU)

-----
MAP/T - MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE AND AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR :-
 this sensor undertakes a number of tasks to aid the ECU in determining the best fuel air ratio at any given time.
 1/  Atmospheric pressure is taken to determine the altitude ( the higher the altitude the less oxygen content in the air).
 2/ Air temprature is taken,  a measured amount of cold air is more dense so contains more oxygen than warm air. ( also for cold    start)
 3/ inlet air pressure is taken so air flow can be calculated per charge
 -----
 (AIR INL TEMP) - air inlet temperature
 (BARO READING) - atmosheric pressure (Average sea-level pressure is 101.325 kPa)
 (MEASURED PRESS) - intake manifold pressure (partial vacuum e.g idle 40kpa, full load close to 100kpa)
 (READ ANGLE) - "The ECU is designed to read the MAP sensor only once per engine cycle.
                Therefore, to get a measurement representative of load, it must be measured at the
                minimum value associated with the propagating vacuum pulse to get reliable load
                resolution. This means that the MAP sensor must be read at a very specific time in the
                engine cycle, which is defined by the corresponding crank angle (MAP Read Angle)"

(CID PASS) - cylinder inlet stroke detected
 (CID FAIL) - cylinder inlet stroke NOT detected ( this should remain at zero)

COLUMN3
------------
 AFR TARGET - pre programed air fuel  ratio for the condition (desired AFR)
 AFR COMMAND - Input from the fuel trims, O2 sensor etc, the ECU  trys to and match the AFR TARGET, so i think this is  actual AFR
 * the AFR TARGET & AFR COMMAND should match quite closely*

SPARK ADV TARGET- pre programed spark advance for the condition (desired spark advance), should be in degs BTDC

SPARK ADV COMMAND- the ECU trys to match the SPARK ADVANCE TARGET, so i think this is actual ADV, should be in degs BTDC

SPARK ADV IDLEDYNAMC- spark advance idle dynamic, by advancing and retarding helps to give a smooth idle.I guess the output is in                           degs BTDC but how this works in relation to SPARK ADV COMMAND  i dont know 

SPARK DWELL TIME - In milli seconds, too short= weak spark, too long= melted coil .ECU controls this based on system voltage (always                     use the correct coil)

CPK SENSOR ERROR - crank shaft position error, this should remain at zero
 VOLUME EFFICIENCY - "Volumetric efficiency (VE) is used to describe the amount of fuel/air in the cylinder in relation to regular                      atmospheric air. If the cylinder is filled with fuel/air at atmospheric pressure, then the engine is said to                      have 100% volumetric efficiency. Normally aspirated engines typically run anywhere between 80% and 100% VE"
                     calculated info contained in "tables" in the ECU

MALF CODE CURRENT - current fault code
 MALF CODE HISTORIC - old stored fault code

SECTION 4
 ----------------------
----
For this section my explanations are not good . terms like "multipliers", "Factors", "adaptions", "trims", "intergrals" etc. have been hard for me to pin down. Also Delphi or PCHUD doesn't display regular percentage values.
 "tuning of the fuel and making adjustments in
closed –loop on the fly is known as : Short Term Fuel Trims.
 Major fuel trim adjustments stored in the ECM
memory are known as: Long Term Fuel Trims"
 -------

LTFT CELL No - long term fuel trim cell number, (Block Learn) portion of the stored table being used
 LTFT CORR FACT - long term fuel trim correction factor,(Block Learn Multiplier (BLM)) IDEAL Number IS 1  EG 1.2 = MORE FUEL, 0.8 =                  LESS FUEL

CL STFT COUNT - closed loop short term fuel trim count, anything outside of + or - 5 to 10 is bad
 CL FUEL CORR FACT - closed loop fuel correction factor (%) in other diag software a reading of outside + or - 5 to 10 is bad, do not                     know why the percentage reading in PCHUD is so low i think it has the decemal point in the wrong place.

** I think the important thing here is spotting trends, this is made easier if you have made a " recording" in PCHUD when your engine    has been fault free **

INL PRESS CORR CELL - inlet pressure correction cell, similar to "LTFT CELL" No but for air pressure ?
 INL PRESS CORR FACT - inlet pressure correction factor, similar to "LTFT CORR FACT" but for air pressure ?
 INL PRESS COMP - inlet pressure compensation, not sure how this relates ?
 IDLE AIR VOL LEARN- idle air volume learning, not sure how this relates ?
 IACV COMP TPS- idle air control valve compensation for the throttle position sensor, i think this % is an added amount dependent on                temperature. ?
 EXPECTED INL PRESS- expected inlet pressure, taking in to acount of input from the sensors the ECU expects the inlet pressure to be                     this

Old 05-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #108

Some info ( lawn mower using a Delphi MT05 ECU)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2512
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2502
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2425
Size:  78.9 KB

Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #109

part2,

(apparently wen an O2 sensor fails it will leave your engine running rich)

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  54.5 KB

Old 05-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #110

Thanks for posting this good information, Kat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #111

[QUOTE=katflap;215367]part2,

(apparently wen an O2 sensor fails it will leave your engine running rich)

Not necessarily. When the sensor fails the engine should revert to open loop, where this a base map telling the injectors to fire. The base map is still modified by input from various sensors. If the base map is rich across the board, then you will have a rich running engine. It is fairly common to disable the O2 sensor input and rely just on the base map...after that base map has been modified. REXXER dealers do this for Marelli ECUs and maybe others. In most cases the modification is done while the bike is on a dyno. The drawback is that dyno runs are done under ideal conditions, not real world. If one can do real time data logging and then map modification you would have the best of all worlds. My Stelvio has a real time data logged map, O2 sensors disabled, and runs great.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #112

Thanks pyoungbl,

I must have read it wrong or perhaps taken it out of context,

Unfortunatley I have know experience of this stuff prior to getting my RX3 so input from yourself and others who have "hands on" experience is very much appreciated.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #113

katflap, I want to thank you for the link to details about how the Delphi EFI works. That was the first time I saw any mention of open loop operation on this ECU. Every other reference only mentioned closed loop. The specific condition mentioned was open loop under hard acceleration. That makes sense, getting the most power possible and to hell with a lean burn. I suspect that is the same logic used by the larger capacity bikes when they switch from closed to open at around 3500-4000 rpm, a liter bike can cruise along at 3500 rpm with no difficulty but for sudden acceleration rev up and get max power above that range. The Zong, on the other hand, is really pretty gutless below about 4.5K so it would be interesting to find where the switch happens. At 60 mph I bet we are running open loop due to wind resistance if for no other reason. All this is fascinating for me but my bike runs so good that I see no reason to make any changes. I agree with you and Spud, it would be great to have a hand held device (smart phone?) that would provide diagnostics. Please continue your research and keep us informed.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #114

BT Diagnostics

Kat;

Would something like this work with an adapter?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAFX-Bluetoo...699259&vxp=mtr

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Kat;

I doubt it will work. The Delphi MT05 ECU does not appear to be OBD2 compliant, or it would work with any OBD2 scanner, which it does not.

As far as I know, the Delphi MT05 controller is proven to communicate only with PCHUD software running on a Microsoft Windows computer, and these two, compatible scan tools.

1. Delphi Scan Tool KF90121
2. ED100 Motorcycle Scan Tool

PCHUD software is easily the least expensive, and most powerful tool for diagnosing the health of the Delphi MT05 ECU.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #116

I still think it's a cool piece of hardware and software. Now I'm wondering about a windows tablet . Use it with the proper software and a cable .... there's a couple of windows based tablets on ebay for decent prices.

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #117

Hi folks.
I've seen a video of a russian guy running openDiagFree on a MT05.
It was set in KWP2000 mode.
Unfortunately, I cannot use it as button texts are not translated into non russian language.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzo_31 View Post
Hi folks.
I've seen a video of a russian guy running openDiagFree on a MT05.
It was set in KWP2000 mode.
Unfortunately, I cannot use it as button texts are not translated into non russian language.
interesting !

― Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
katflap, I want to thank you for the link to details about how the Delphi EFI works. That was the first time I saw any mention of open loop operation on this ECU. Every other reference only mentioned closed loop. The specific condition mentioned was open loop under hard acceleration. That makes sense, getting the most power possible and to hell with a lean burn. I suspect that is the same logic used by the larger capacity bikes when they switch from closed to open at around 3500-4000 rpm, a liter bike can cruise along at 3500 rpm with no difficulty but for sudden acceleration rev up and get max power above that range. The Zong, on the other hand, is really pretty gutless below about 4.5K so it would be interesting to find where the switch happens. At 60 mph I bet we are running open loop due to wind resistance if for no other reason. All this is fascinating for me but my bike runs so good that I see no reason to make any changes. I agree with you and Spud, it would be great to have a hand held device (smart phone?) that would provide diagnostics. Please continue your research and keep us informed.

When I get chance I will do some tests to see if I can discover when it drops in and out of closed loop, it would be interesting to know.

I agree the present EFI setup works well, trying to understand how it works and diagnosis is what tweaks my interest rather than modifying

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Kat;

In addition to what spud has already said,

there have been a few people try a bluetooth connection but I believe without success. Also I have tried the Torque app with an android emulator with know success but admittedly it could be a connection issue between the com port and the emulator.