Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That foam mount is an excellent idea. Have you considered an LED tail light? I picked one up for just a few dollars on eBay, including shipping. I mount items like that with rubber plumbing washers between the part and the frame for a little cushion.
I have been thinking that way (LED). Thanks for the tip on the rubber washers. I wonder if that would work at the motor mounts?

I found a few more MIA bolts and putting new ones in seemed to help some with the vibes.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #212

I don't think you could isolate the motor mounts with washers, but you can use them for everything else. Use blue Loctite on everything.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #213

Test the battery with an OHM meter and see what it is charging at. DC set at 20volts connect both leads to the right terminal start the bike and rev it, it should not be over 14.5 volts. If it is over that then it would cause the bulbs to burn out.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
Test the battery with an OHM meter and see what it is charging at. DC set at 20volts connect both leads to the right terminal start the bike and rev it, it should not be over 14.5 volts. If it is over that then it would cause the bulbs to burn out.
Checked that, it seems to be the vibrations. Yesterday when we were riding, I grabbed the rear hand rail, at certain RPMs very bad vibes. I'll take the body panels off and ride this weekend to try and find the culprit.

I did get a LED bulb from Autozone, I don't think it will go out so quickly. I'm also going to take weldangrind's advice on mounting the tail light housing with rubber washers.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #215

The punishing vibrations induced by riding off road will kill the filament in a tail light bulb. Therefore, I installed a Trail Tech, 1157 LED bulb in my Honda's tail light assembly; it works great! If you don't like the AutoZone LED bulb, I suggest you try the Trail Tech LED bulb.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #216

OK, a little highjack, but Yingang related--I found this video on youtube and have corresponded with him a couple times and have tried to convince him to join here on chinariders. The bike looks very similar to the Cult of the Zongshen Sierra 200 complete with the 17" motard wheels.

Here's another Yingang video--the version that kind of sort of looks BMW-ish in appearance

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
OK, a little highjack, but Yingang related--I found this video on youtube and have corresponded with him a couple times and have tried to convince him to join here on chinariders. The bike looks very similar to the Cult of the Zongshen Sierra 200 complete with the 17" motard wheels. ...
That's a good looking bike, and a fun video, Culcune! Thanks for sharing the link with us. I hope the owner joins us here at China Riders; he seems to be a fun guy.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #218

So, last weekend I was experiencing some bad vibes and noticed my chain need a little more adjustment. This is my second adjustment, the first time I adjusted it the same number of turns on each side and tightened it down.

However, this time, I noticed each side was different on the indicators (by about 1/8"). So I adjusted the away side to even with the sprocket side, then adjusted the chain to specs.

I don't know that this was the main thing that helped, because I went over the back end of the bike looking for things that were loose, but now everything is much smoother... could the wheel adjustment have made that much difference?

UPDATE on lighting:
• The flasher mount is working well, had to ad a zip tie to keep it from backing out of it's new foam housing.
•ÂLED taillight is also holding up very well

UPDATE on replacement parts:
• Have not heard when they will arrive...

Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #219

Those yellow covers over the bags look really good!

I would say that the chain adjustment smoothing out the vibrations makes sense. If the wheel is crooked, your rear wheel is constantly trying to turn, as it isn't parallel to the front. Also, the chain would be self-correcting every time a link enters or exits the rear sprocket. Might be wise to dump that chain before it breaks and get an RK. I use a 428H on my atv, H being heavy duty. I usually pay around $30.00 for one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #220

Quote:
Those yellow covers over the bags look really good!

I would say that the chain adjustment smoothing out the vibrations makes sense. If the wheel is crooked, your rear wheel is constantly trying to turn, as it isn't parallel to the front. Also, the chain would be self-correcting every time a link enters or exits the rear sprocket. Might be wise to dump that chain before it breaks and get an RK. I use a 428H on my atv, H being heavy duty. I usually pay around $30.00 for one.
How long are the Chinese chains usually good for? I am not an "aggressive" rider at all, have not had much chance to go off-road (even then I am on the conservative side).

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #221

About 5,000 miles, or less.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #222

I would agree with 5000 miles if the chain is set up properly. Yours was crooked, so I wouldn't trust it, not considering that a good replacement is so reasonable.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #223

Quote:
I would agree with 5000 miles if the chain is set up properly. Yours was crooked, so I wouldn't trust it, not considering that a good replacement is so reasonable.
Thanks for the advice,
I'll replace it soon and maybe do a 16 tooth front sprocket at the same time.

I have pics of the sprockets, I'll load this weekend.

Just FYI- front is a 15 and rear is a 44-428 (also has WLJF stamped on it), I guess that is pretty standard on dual sports. The bolt circle appears to be 3" and the opening about 2.375" (I'll have to remove it to measure more accurately).

Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #224

I think you're wise to install a good drive chain, Jax. Also, I always install new sprockets with a new drive chain. In this manner the sprockets and drive chain wear together, and the drive chain lasts longer. Never install a new sprocket with an old drive chain; the old chain will quickly grind down the new sprocket. :(

If you want a conventional drive chain, I highly recommend the Tsuaki 428HQR drive chain. It's a very good drive chain, at a great price.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7356

However, I enjoy the longevity, and greatly reduced maintenance I get from O-ring drive chains. I am currently employing a gold, KMC, 428UO drive chain on my Zong. This chain looks good, has very low friction, works superbly, and is very competitively priced! I like this drive chain very much, and I won't be going back to conventional drive chains on any of my motorcycles. This drive chain costs $35 at OEMCycle.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7356

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #225

Time for the weekly update on parts with my bike:
Remember the letter I sent to Jessie at Yingang USA and Massimo:

Here is an update on the major parts of my bike that have not or do not work on my bike:
• Tachometer - this morning the indicator fell, off, but it has never worked, I have attached a picture.
• Speedometer - The hub on the wheel was messed-up and the "fingers" bent, above 60KM/H the needle moves backwards instead of giving the correct KP/H. I have attached a picture.
• Never had a battery strap, made on out of zip-ties.

Today I received all of the above parts! Great job Yingang and Massimo! The parts had to go from Yingang to Massimo, then to me. And a shirt to boot!

I'll post pics later.....