Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2023, 09:56 AM   #1

What Kinda of Helmet Do you have?

Im headed out today to buy myself some sort of Dual Sport helmet. What kinda Helmet are you fellers using? I don't really want to break the bank on one but I prefer my noggin to be protected as well.

Old 04-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #2

I have used quite a few and my favorite is my Answer, I think the model is AR-1.
I think it was around 80 bucks, it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn and I would not hesitate to buy another if something happened to the one I have now. It is more comfortable and cooler than any helmet I have owned including street helmets.
Hope this gets to you in time.

Old 04-22-2023, 10:16 AM   #3

Awesome, Thanks for the info. I'll look for one of those.

Old 04-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #4

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets
I got a "Bagger Helmet " from craigelist (1/2 helmet-zipper earflap)
I do mostly pavement & made sure it was WHITE -- more visable
full face are best

Old 04-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #5

I couldn't find the Answer Helmets Locally, so I got this Sedici. Seems like a nice helmet I reckon, we shall see.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedic...venture-helmet

Last edited by letsride; 04-22-2023 at 08:26 PM. Reason: correct content

Old 04-22-2023, 06:49 PM   #6

I've given up on "dual sport" helmets which seem to have a lot of drawbacks with not much benefit except looking "dirt bikey," and at that rate I'd rather just wear a competent motocross helmet and goggles, because then at least if you're really going to be wallowing in the muck you can also use tear-offs. I find that the dual sport lids are usually heavier, noisier, and come in fewer shell sizes than their street counterparts while certainly not costing any less in exchange.

I ride with a Bell Qualifier DLX most of the time, which works just fine for me. I use it on and off road on my KLR and also on my Orion. It had the photochromic "ProTint" visor on it, but now that it is in its third year of use the photochromic aspect has largely worn out and it doesn't get very dark in the sun anymore. I have a Bell MX-9 (not the ADV version) that I use when I'm really going to be bushwhacking in the deep woods, or for those few weeks in high summer when it's too hot to ride with your visor closed anyways.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:30 PM   #7

Well I took the bike on about a 20 mile ride with the new helmet. It was a windy day today and the visor was trying to catch the wind on the highway. And a head down attitude was in order when I took her on a top speed blast down the road. That visor may find its way off the helmet. Other than that the helmet is comfortable and I love the two sheilds, one clear outer and one retractable tinted one.

Old 04-22-2023, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Well I took the bike on about a 20 mile ride with the new helmet. It was a windy day today and the visor was trying to catch the wind on the highway. And a head down attitude was in order when I took her on a top speed blast down the road. That visor may find its way off the helmet. Other than that the helmet is comfortable and I love the two sheilds, one clear outer and one retractable tinted one.
I bought a dual sport helmet from Amazon a couple years ago when I bought my Brozz, and it did look good, and was a comfortable helmet, it was probably a little too cheap . I took the overhanging visor off almost immediately. Just a slight turn of the head at speed, and that thing would catch wind, and go to tugging hard on the chin strap. I have a few just regular full face helmets now 2 HJC, and 1 AFX brand, and 1 HJC 3/4. I seldom wear the AFX, and usually only wear the 3/4 in warm weather, but not often. As long as you get a safe helmet, the only advice I can offer would be to get a helmet that fits, and has good vents, that will stay open, or shut , and if you wear glasses, like I do, then a flip up face shield is a necessity, I personally like the quick latch chin straps, but I have learned to live with the D-ring, by just loosening the strap enough to slip the helmet off. If you wear glasses, then you will have to take them off, every time you remove, or put on a full face helmet, and I have had glasses fall off the seat a few times as well. . I personally hate the little face shield locks on helmets, and I disable them. It's nice to be able to quickly open, or even just crack open the face shield as you are slowing down to reduce fogging at times. The main thing is to get a safe helmet.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #9

I have this helmet in white. I took the peak off to ride on roads. I LOVE IT!!! It's comfortable, relatively lightweight, and VERY protective. I love the design. :-) The helmet cost me $230.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/motorcyc...300000001.html
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 04-24-2023, 02:30 PM   #10

$39 open face helmet from Walmart. I think it's a Fuel brand. I've had it for about 15 years and was wearing it when I hit a moose in Alaska.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:23 AM   #11

I ride a zoan synchrony in black/blue. Far quieter than my MX helmet, and every bit as comfortable/quiet as the full face road helmet i used to wear... the drop down sun lens is a nice addition as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230425-082034_eBay.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	29074  

Old 04-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #12

I use a 1Storm modular helmet. Actually I have 2 of these. I've also got a HJC motocross helmet.

2016 Magician 250

Old 04-25-2023, 09:14 PM   #13

I've got an old gloss black Shoei full face and a matte black Daytona 3/4 face currently. I'm also looking for a new dual sport helmet to replace the old Shoei because the liner is falling apart. All I want is dual visors, removeable peak and goggle friendly for under $200. ECE is a real plus.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:10 AM   #14

I'll totally be getting the Bell MX-9 w/MIPS as my next one, but now I have an HJC DS-X1. I have no complaints, but to be honest I've never worn a full face helmet before this one so I have nothing to compare it to, I just know I can do a 6hr day in it with no issues. Single visor, not pinlock-ready like it states so I use the stick-on anti-fog screen, and removable peak.

Old 04-26-2023, 01:34 PM   #15

If I could live without the drop down sun visor I would have ordered a Bell MX9 Adventure already. Great helmet, but I really like the drop down sun visor.