Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2023, 11:55 PM   #1

Carbon deposits

So reading the owners manual, it says clear away, carbon deposit a round the spark, plug and piston ring on the piston top in the piston, ring slot and combustion chamber regularly. How in the heck are you supposed to do that? Do you have to disassemble the engine on a regular basis? I am new to this Chinese motors I don’t make sense to me.
Thanks

Old 04-23-2023, 01:59 AM   #2

erm unless you're burning engine oil with blueish smoke out of the exhaust i wouldn't worry about a top end service on the regular...

Checking the spark plug is good practice between oil changes.

If the spark plug is black with carbon you could try a fuel additive to 'clean' the combustion chamber.

But I have no idea what that manual is from or referring too to make such practice a regular service suggestion.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-KPM View Post
So reading the owners manual, it says clear away, carbon deposit a round the spark, plug and piston ring on the piston top in the piston, ring slot and combustion chamber regularly. How in the heck are you supposed to do that? Do you have to disassemble the engine on a regular basis? I am new to this Chinese motors I don’t make sense to me.
Thanks
The top head and cylinder of the motorcycle should be removed every 1,000 miles or 10,000 km, whichever comes first, for this service. More often if living in desert or polar regions, or anywhere else. Then a thorough cleaning with Sea Foam and a metric nylon bristle brush will remove all carbon deposits. Reassemble with new gaskets, and add titanium valve adjuster screws for a significant increase in power. Replace the crappy NGK plug with a high-quality Chinese one. Remove the air filter completely, as fresh unfiltered air inhibits carbon buildup. Also, you will experience less carbon buildup if you avoid riding during periods of intense solar activity. There's probably an app for that.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 04-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #4

Hmm…ok thanks didn’t realize these bikes were so high maintenance.

Old 04-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #5

They are not, just run the thing. 4900 miles on mine and running best it ever has. I would not even think of tearing it down to just clean carbon off of,happy trails.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
They are not, just run the thing. 4900 miles on mine and running best it ever has. I would not even think of tearing it down to just clean carbon off of,happy trails.
This... put 7000mi on my shineray in one summer with just oil changes, keeping the air filter clean, and the chain adjusted...

Old 04-25-2023, 09:12 AM   #7

Yeah, if you have the carb adjusted properly or have EFI, carbon will never be an issue. The spark plug is your "carbon gauge".
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 04-25-2023, 10:23 PM   #8

So true

Old 05-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, never really thought of putting a fuel additive in it.. that makes more sense than tearing it down. By the way this was mentioned in my Kpr manual