Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2024, 03:22 PM   #1

Grin Hawk or Templar?

New rider here, for some reason my last account was deleted/banned randomly? so, i’ll ask the question again.

This is going to be my first motorcycle, i’m torn between the hawk 250, and the Templar 250 (not M or X version).

I love the CG clone engine the hawk possess & it’s unmatched reliability, and it uses the same oil my XJ 4.0L uses. But I like the enduro body style & aesthetics of the Templar.

Sadly, research of the templar i see many bad posts on forum about “engine trouble/failure” and many russians experiencing the same issues with the 172fmm.

The reason for these bikes is because i live 15 miles away from the nearest town in the country, and my room mate works night shift so like how currently my XJ is running bad i need reliable transportation to get to town in for now while fixing my XJ, or the motorcycle replacing the XJ entirely if i can’t fix the issue.

In a perfect world, if the 172fmm grenades in the templar, can i just buy a CG125 clone hawk engine & bolt it in? (a templar with a hawk 250 engine would be the holy grail of chinese bikes for me if that’s possible) or should i just go ahead and buy the Hawk for peace of mind & money savings? Or can i just maintain the 172fmm nicely & it will treat me nicely back?

Last edited by Chainsalvage; 02-08-2024 at 03:24 PM. Reason: adding thing i forgot to paragrapg

Old 02-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #2

Hey there,

I don't have either bike but I've been researching china bikes for the last few months. I haven't looked into the Hawk as much as others, but it seems the Hawk is the most popular China bike right now. Super easy to find information on it and its parts.

Do you plan on doing any off-roading/trail riding or sticking to on-road only? The Templar is more off-road orientated than other china bikes. It sits taller than the Hawk by about 1" and comes with more off-road knobby tires. Not saying the Templar *can't* be used on the road. Many people ride it with knobby stock tires onroad. The Templar will have slightly more power ( 20HP vs 14HP ) and about 30 lbs lighter too ( 278 Lbs Vs 310 Lbs ).

I haven't personally seen many reports of bad engines on the Templars. These China engines are low-powered and very simple. As long as you do the normal maintenance ( adjusting valves, changing oil..etc. ) they seem to last. I've read many stories of people with many miles on their China engines (including Templar and Hawk engines ) with little to no issues.

I'm personally going for a Templar X soon. It will mainly be used for offroading but it may see the road occasionally if/when I feel brave enough to ride on the streets here in Florida...

Hope I helped a bit with the little information I know,

Vek.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:27 PM   #3

Welcome aboard! Either one will be a good choice. Both will last if maintained and not beat on. My Hawk is 8 years old and is still rock solid and is designed for slow and steady. No trouble at all. I like my KPX 250 which the engine is based on the 172fmm. That engine works better for the street and higher speeds. It works great for trail riding as well.

As far as your account being deleted. That could of had to do with your screen name didn't meet the forum rules and that your very first post, every other sentence had a curse word in it. Rules are at the top of the New member section.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-08-2024, 05:01 PM   #4

The templar X 6 speed counterbalanced is a better overall package and worth the small premium over the Hawk 250 in either Carb or EFI eversions. Much better commuter and road manners

The templar M 5 speed with kickstart is a bit lighter and potentially more robust making for a more offroad/soft enduro type aplication.

The Hawk 250 is just an old /outdated at this point basically becoming the base model that will get the job done.

Personally I would pay premium and get the Templar 250 X...
If the engine grenades pretty much any chonda clone including the CG250 will fit in the frame without much fuss...

Old 02-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #5

Hawk is more of a dual sport, and the templar is an enduro like the KPR. Which do you want?

Hawk seat is comfortable, wider and recessed to hold you during acceleration. Templar has a flat seat you can get farther back or forward on (for off road or just on the road a long time). Enduros are taller, longer wheelbase, steeper front fork geometry for agility. Templar also comes with lots more stainless steel fittings, true bearclaw footpegs, a nice folding short shifter, a much more beefy swingarm with a better axel position adjuster. heavy duty hubs/wheels/spokes, rimlocks, stainless steel exhaust system, and more. Pretty well equipped, but taller.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-17-2024 at 11:39 PM.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:30 PM   #6

So will i have registration issues considering the Templar is an enduro? Does it being an enduro link with the VIN? I called the DMV & they said all i need is an MCO/MSO stating that it is “Motorcycle” only.

10 of the 12 miles round trip will be driving on mainly backroad dirt roads. And the remainder will be within pavement in town. So i’m guessing your guys suggestion is stating i should get the hawk?

Also, as aforementioned about my Jeep XJ i believe i have fixed it tonight.So i may have to hold out on getting a chinese bike :( UNLESS SOMEONE CAN CONVINCE ME TO BUY ONE MUHAHAHA

Old 02-08-2024, 11:20 PM   #7

Templar models have DOT approved tires, lights, mirrors, horn, etc. I registered an plated two Templars in MO, no problem. If you get a certificate of origin (MCO) that sez off road, you can request one the sez motorcycle. Most people have done this if they got the wrong type. They sell lots of UTVs and pit bikes so I guess they just make a mistake.

Lifan KPX is Enduro shaped as well. It is also good for the road.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-09-2024 at 08:32 AM.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:10 AM   #8

Hawk 250, hands down, without a doubt, end of story, close this thread.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 02-09-2024, 10:20 AM   #9

In all truth I should have bought a dual sport. However the Templar X's enduro features just sucked me in. Plus that it's more a "true" 250cc. I'm still well aware that another bike would probably suit my purposes a little better but I stand by my decision. I REALLY like my Templar.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:33 PM   #10

I'd like to see a Chinese dual sport with that 249cc 20hp motor or even better, the newer 4 valve 24hp version, and some of the features that you find on the Templar like the inverted forks, cast alloy swingarm with a upgraded axel slot, adjustable levers, bear claw foot rests, folding short-shifter... But not as tall as the full on enduro class frame. This would give people that want those upgrades a good upgraded dual sport

All of the dual sports seem to have the 15hp engine, boxed steel axel with no axel slot reinforcement, a long shifter that catches weeds and limbs, and the seat that forces you to sit in one place all the time.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:04 PM   #11

Thumper, I kind of hope they don't start selling that bike. (At a reasonable price.) I'd be sorely tempted to trade up. Real question would be "why don't they?" I guess.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:08 PM   #12

They must be makin' lots of dough on that old Hawk platform. It costs about the same as Templar. In fact, the base Templar costs less.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Thumper, I kind of hope they don't start selling that bike. (At a reasonable price.) I'd be sorely tempted to trade up. Real question would be "why don't they?" I guess.

It's more or less happening though.

The CG200 bikes have all but vanished.

The CG250 bikes are still in stock, and there was some innovation with the counterbalanced version and big bore kits getting easier to obtain.

Then the 172FMM platform started to roll out which is the current inventory of production.

I could imagine there is as many bikes as warehouses allow and manufacturer tooling is still in service.

Also noticing far less CG---parts listed on aliexpress.

So it's only a matter of time when 20hp+ or even 300cc* becomes the norm.

Tags
172fmm, hawk 250, templar 250m