Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2023, 07:43 AM   #1

Intro - Hello From MA

Hi there,
I am thrilled I found this sight! A bit about me...

I am in North-Central Massachusetts. I commute to work about 8 miles on back-country roads that are wonderfully scenic, curvy and bumpy!

I have always been an avid mountain biker, and I've always thought "Gee wouldn't a dual sport motorcycle be just as fun, if not better!" At 50, riding my Mt Bike is getting less and less. Plus I would not need to leave the house an hour early and take a shower when I got to work!

So, I was researching "cheap dual sports" and of course found out about the China Bikes! What! You can order a motorcycle from Amazon! Amazing!

I am NOT mechanically inclined at all. Lets get that cleared up right away. I am not aloud to touch tools in my house :-) I will admit - I pay people to fix my toys! My classic Mustang and my 33 Foot Boat!

That's the only thing keeping me from buying a china bike RIGHT NOW, is that I know I will not be any use working on it. However, I did find a local shop that sells a couple of the Chinese brands. They assured me that they put them together, upgrade some parts, test them and warranty them. So, I have not given up on them yet!

So we will see what happens. I am not going to do anything until spring. First I have to go get my permit, take a class and get my license.

If there are any others of us here from MA, I would love to hear from you...find out about owning one of these in MA

See you around!
Christina

Old 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! Probably your most reliable Chinese bike brand would be Lifan. Most of there bikes are fuel injected and do come with a 2 year/12,000 mile warranty. American Lifan will stand behind what they sell as most can tell you one here. Lifan carries two dual sports. The Xpect 200 and the KPX 250 which i personally own. The KPX quality is as every bit as good as any Japanese bike out there. When it comes to dealers, Venom Motorsports has to be at the top of the list for after sales support. There's also CSC which have the TT250 but that will be a carbureted engine and is a push rod engine. Check out the videos in my signature for the KPX.

KPX 250 https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...d-street-legal

Xpect 200 https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...bike-lf200gy-4
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-06-2023, 09:29 AM   #3

Hiya. I was an avid ultra distance cyclist but at 67, the desire to ever do another century ride left the building many years ago. I get it. I also commuted to work on a fixed gear for many years, until the itch to twist my wrist returned.

I, myself, no longer have a Chinese bike. Well, I have a few with pedals, but that's for another time. You'll find a lot of folks here to answer your questions.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Hiya. I was an avid ultra distance cyclist but at 67, the desire to ever do another century ride left the building many years ago. I get it. I also commuted to work on a fixed gear for many years, until the itch to twist my wrist returned.

I, myself, no longer have a Chinese bike. Well, I have a few with pedals, but that's for another time. You'll find a lot of folks here to answer your questions.
Hi!
yeah, did not do any centuries, but plenty of 50 mile Charity Rides on my Specialized tank! Always loved the rush of wind around me. Now I want to do that again without paying the price for 3 days later! HA!

Old 11-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #5

Another vote for a Lifan.

I've had mine as long as I've been a member. Other than routine maintenance (which includes oil changes, new tires, etc), I've done nothing to it. There was one factory defect specific to model year. They fixed it after mine. They forgot to put some wires in a conduit and it caused problems. I fixed that. After 2020 model year, they don't have this issue anymore

I didn't want another thing to work on because I DO do all my own work on everything and I'd had about enough of it. I just wanted to ride and enjoy.

Only reason it's at 8000 miles (?) is that I've been on my boat lately and haven't brought it aboard yet. So it spent most of this year in storage. It also started up before I even had the start button pressed all the way in this weekend after sitting in storage for 6 months with ethanol gas in it.

In all that time and all those miles (lots of trails, gravel and single track), it has run perfectly. Fuel injection gets rid of all those "it won't start" headaches. It's a pretty well built bike. A great value

Old 11-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #6

After doing more reseach, I have narrowed it down:

BMS Enouro 250
Lifan KPX250 or XPect

I can get either, from a local shop near me, and they can assemble!

Last edited by Christina Rae; 11-06-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #7

Good idea to take a class. I recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, if you haven't found it, yet. For me it was 2 days classroom, 2 days on the bike. After successful completion, they give you a certificate that exempts you from the riding portion of the test for your license. Just need to pass the written.

https://msf-usa.org/

Good luck. Since you're not into wrenching, you should give it a try. There isn't a simpler engine out there to learn on, except maybe an RC nitro engine.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Good idea to take a class. I recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, if you haven't found it, yet. For me it was 2 days classroom, 2 days on the bike. After successful completion, they give you a certificate that exempts you from the riding portion of the test for your license. Just need to pass the written.

https://msf-usa.org/

Good luck. Since you're not into wrenching, you should give it a try. There isn't a simpler engine out there to learn on, except maybe an RC nitro engine.
Yeah, 100 Percent. There is a class near my home, one weekend. Done. Between me and my other half, I am confident we COULD get it up and running. Its the fixing things that go wrong that will stump us. As long as I can find a local dealer that would "touch" it if something went wrong...

Old 11-08-2023, 10:04 AM   #9

Whatever you buy, make sure it is from your local dealer, and have a serious talk with them about support! Most of us on this site work on them, so local support is not so important.

All of the things I've done are tuning, adjustments, upgrades, and fixing flats, etc. Mine has a carburetor, no EFI, and mechanically it has been excellent. But some people have EFI gremlins or mechanical failures that they deal with on their own with some guidance or suggestions from these folks. You really need to be able to trailer (or drive it) it to a dealership in a pinch. Yes, you will find people having EFI problems, even on the KPX in threads on this site (you should know- full disclosure ). Rare perhaps, but we don't actually have numbers so it's unknown.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Whatever you buy, make sure it is from your local dealer, and have a serious talk with them about support! Most of us on this site work on them, so local support is not so important.

All of the things I've done are tuning and fixing flats, etc. Mine has a carburetor, no EFI, but mechanically it has been excellent. But some people have EFI gremlins or mechanical failures that they deal with on their own with some guidance or suggestions from these folks. You really need to be able to trailer (or drive it) it to a dealership in a pinch. Yes, you will find people having EFI problems, even on the KPX in threads on this site (you should know- full disclosure ). Rare perhaps, but we don't actually have numbers so it's unknown.

Totally. Not buying from anyone but a dealer.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:05 AM   #11

What Thumper said.

Also, don't be afraid of tackling minor maintenance or a mechanical hiccup. Valve adjustments and oil changes are really pretty easy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

All of the things I've done are tuning, adjustments, upgrades, and fixing flats, etc. Mine has a carburetor, no EFI, and mechanically it has been excellent. But some people have EFI gremlins or mechanical failures that they deal with on their own with some guidance or suggestions from these folks. You really need to be able to trailer (or drive it) it to a dealership in a pinch. Yes, you will find people having EFI problems, even on the KPX in threads on this site (you should know- full disclosure ). Rare perhaps, but we don't actually have numbers so it's unknown.
Yes, The the last batch of KPX had some idle and throttle hesitation issues. American Lifan is already on top of it and offer to reflashing the ECU's with new map for free to resolve the issue. Mine was one of the first batch to arrive and have had no issues.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2023, 07:25 AM   #13

Based on all the positive reviews I have read and the tons of videos that they themselves have put out- I think I have decided on the CSC TT250. The price is right too.

I am impressed how they had so many "how to" videos that they put out themselves. Its kind of re-assuring!

I also like how they assemble and test them before they ship them. I know allot of others do the same, but they actually produced a video showing the process! But the biggest thing is the customer service. They actually answered my email directly, quickly and they are a real shop! If anything goes wrong I like the ability to just call them right up. And finally, I can pay for it with 48 Month Financing at only 9.7 percent...which is way lower that what my credit card was going to be! Comes out to like 80.00 a month!

Anyone want to try to prove otherwise...I would LOVE to hear more reviews!

Old 11-10-2023, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Rae View Post
Based on all the positive reviews I have read and the tons of videos that they themselves have put out- I think I have decided on the CSC TT250. The price is right too.

I am impressed how they had so many "how to" videos that they put out themselves. Its kind of re-assuring!

I also like how they assemble and test them before they ship them. I know allot of others do the same, but they actually produced a video showing the process! But the biggest thing is the customer service. They actually answered my email directly, quickly and they are a real shop! If anything goes wrong I like the ability to just call them right up. And finally, I can pay for it with 48 Month Financing at only 9.7 percent...which is way lower that what my credit card was going to be! Comes out to like 80.00 a month!

Anyone want to try to prove otherwise...I would LOVE to hear more reviews!
CSC and Venom Motorsports are very much alike. Only difference is CSC will not send you a bike in the crate if you wanted to assemble yourself. Venom has two shops/warehouses. One in California and one in Canada. Venom also has tons of How to videos. The TT250 is a great bike which will be around $3,330 once you add all there fees. The KPX will run you $3,100 after you add the Assembly fee and take the $100 discount delivered to your door. I'm on my 4th bike from Venom because of there great service. They do offer financing as well.

Remember The TT250 is a 5 speed, Carbureted CG push rod engine with 16 hp that might top out at 70mph out the box. The KPX is a 20hp, 6 speed fuel injected OHC engine that will top out over 75 mph right out the crate with no modifications. The KPX will be the best bang for the buck. Sorry, If I have to make you rethink your purchase. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #15

Here are some details of the differences between these two bikes. I made a side by side photo which shows some clear differences that show that the TT is closer to a dual sport frame design, and the KPX is closer to an enduro frame design. I hope this provokes comments and opinions, and please feel free to post a comment...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sidebyside.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	30354

CSC specifications say TT250 has a wheelbase of 55 inches. I can't find the wheelbase of the KPX, but notice that the front fork rake is steeper on the KPX? Just a couple of degrees, but this is useful for maneuvering in tight situations (an enduro trait). Wheelbase and rake interact to create road stability/instability, turning effort, and agility. In my experience on many different bikes, a more relaxed rake that dual sports have make them more comfortable on the road, more resistant to turning. The taller seat height on the KPX amplifies this slightly (just an inch or so), but this is GREAT for the times you decide to hit the trails. Enduros are more capable, even if a bit more work when you are riding aggressively off road, but the responsiveness is way better. This is not subtle in real world situations, but you can get used to either geometry (just a difference).

Footpeg/seat geometry is different:
The cradle of the seat (lowest position) is farther back on the TT and it is a deeper pocket (holds you in place). This is exactly what I experience on my Bashan Storm. It is a dual sport frame, very comfortable but holds you in place. This pocket is comfortable unless you want to have your legs less bent at the knee. I would bet that there is more distance from the peg to the seat on the KPX.

The cradle of the seat is more forward on the KPX wrt footpegs, BUT the seat is flatter so you can choose seating position while you are riding on the highway (can relieve stress), and also allows you to put your weight where it is needed when you are off road. Hardcore enduros don't even have that slight cradle you see on the KPX!

The footpeg position on the TT is farther forward compared to the cradle of the seat (again, more road oriented). Bikes that are known for their agile response, like most BMWs and sportsbikes have the footpeg more directly under your seat. It promotes more upright seating position This is better for your back, and puts you in a position to make quicker changes. Cruisers are the exact opposite, footpegs way forward, handlebars farther back, which is HARD on your back, and prevents quick turning in a bad traffic situation.

The position of the rider on these bikes with respect to front/rear axels is different. I think the swingarm pivot is farther forward on the KPX, but it may have a longer swingarm. If the swingarm pivot is really farther forward, this is another clue that KPX is more of an enduro. Certainly, the cradle of the seat is farther forward on the KPX.

If you get a chance to ride these bikes, you will experience and recognize these differences.