Old 10-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

CSC RE3 SG400 Rear Shock Dimensions

Rear Shock Dimensions:

406.38mm / 15.63” (15 5/8”) Overall Length

377mm / 14.5" Eye to Eye Length

10mm Mounting Bolt

19.5mm Mounting Stud Inner Shim to Outer Washer Eye Width

21mm Shock Eye Width

234mm / 9" Spring Length (Assuming that the top of spring extends to the end of the top cover/retainer

7.5mm Spring Wire Diameter

64.9mm Outer Spring Coil Diameter

Here are two possible Ohlins replacement options:

The TR923 @ US $1100 - this is the deluxe model, with Compression and Rebound Damping:

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2019...-shocks-tr-923

and the TR924 @ US $750 - this only has adjustment for Rebound Damping:

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2019...shocks-tr-924#

Unfortunately, neither is currently available; with the earliest ETA being at the end of November at most of the retailers that I checked.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

I will say that an ohlins might be too much for that bike. The adjustability is a great thing, but you'll probably really show all the flaws with the fork afterwards. You'll definitely need to upgrade the fork after that.

Is there a listing for what other bikes those fit? Maybe the shock from one of those bikes could be a more cost effective replacement as well.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:00 PM   #3

Those Ohlins options are for a 2019 Triumph Speed Twin. Unfortunately, the OEM parts are US $423 apiece, which means $846 for shocks with no damping adjustability versus $750 for the Ohlins TR924's at $750. Those have rebound adjustment, in addition to spring preload. And if I'm going to spend that much, I might as well splurge and spend another $350 for the compression damping adjustment that the TR923's have. Additionally, the Ohlins have more spring rate options as well, allowing them to be more closely matched to the riders' weight.

Progressive has a few options as well, but they lack any adjustabilty apart from spring preload, which is the same as the OEM shocks:

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...-series-shocks

and

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...-series-shocks

Old 10-13-2021, 12:57 AM   #4

Yes, but will you really be riding the bike to the point on needing what the ohlins offers? Spending that much for performance shocks, and still having an under performing fork will actually hurt your ride more. Especially if you get really spirited in the twisties or on the track.

Also, looking things up, the thruxton has the same shocks. So, eBay is a definite place to look also. Buying new factory shocks would be expensive and underwhelming, but this are also heavier bikes than the sg400, so the spring rates works probably benefit that bike if you're over the usual 160lbs person they rate most of these bikes for.

Here's a thread some of the triumph guys have any shock upgrades. Maybe they'll lead your to some other options, as well

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/s...s-mods.972258/

Old 10-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

You don't understand. I have the SG400 as well. The rear suspension is SO bad the bike is unrideable at anything even approaching a spirited pace -- especially if the road is not perfectly smooth.

I'm looking into 15.5" Progressive shocks. They don't have rebound damping, but I've had Progressives on other bikes and they've worked wonderful. About $400. Raise the rear an inch, and get myself 2.5" of travel instead of 1.5".

Charles.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
You don't understand. I have the SG400 as well. The rear suspension is SO bad the bike is unrideable at anything even approaching a spirited pace -- especially if the road is not perfectly smooth.

I'm looking into 15.5" Progressive shocks. They don't have rebound damping, but I've had Progressives on other bikes and they've worked wonderful. About $400. Raise the rear an inch, and get myself 2.5" of travel instead of 1.5".

Charles.
Having taken the SG400 out a few times - finally, I definitely want rebound damping. I'm 200 lbs with gear and I can get a soft ride if I turn down the spring preload, but its uncontrolled, as you know. Undulating pavement in particular really upsets the rear, since it just won't settle due to the lack of rebound damping. If I crank up the preload, it's slightly better, but it still wants to squat under acceleration, which is why I'm leaning towards the $1100 Ohlins with compression and rebound damping. I'd love not to have to spend the money, but no matter who makes it, be it Ohlins, Progressive, or K-Tech, they all want around $800 for shocks with rebound damping; at which point I might as well spend the extra $300 and get the compression damping too. Now I just need to find someone who has them in stock. I see some on eBay, but they're actually in Italy. I've ordered from Europe before, so it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to find someone here in the states, just in case there is a warranty issue. I don't think that the cost is out of line for a top flight suspension; as you noted over on ADVRider your Leoncino has a much better suspension than the SG400, but it's also $2300 more expensive. Basically, good suspension costs money, even on a China bike.

On a slightly related note - I noticed that Zongshen's forthcoming 550cc RE5 has ditched the rear twin shock set up for a monoshock - now we know why, lol. I have no doubt that it has a much better, and much more accommodating, ride quality than what the SG400 has. Hopefully CSC sees fit to bring it in - fingers crossed.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #7

Found this today: https://bellacorse.com/product/hagon...c-road-shocks/

$240 for a budget shock. Not bad.

Also there's a ton of pages and videos on the 'net about rebuilding RFY shocks so that they actually work well. So that's an option. Only the clevis type are known to break, because people tighten the bolt and bend the aluminum clevis.

Charles.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Found this today: https://bellacorse.com/product/hagon...c-road-shocks/

$240 for a budget shock. Not bad.

Also there's a ton of pages and videos on the 'net about rebuilding RFY shocks so that they actually work well. So that's an option. Only the clevis type are known to break, because people tighten the bolt and bend the aluminum clevis.

Charles.
Not bad until you see these:

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_...-23a-b-spt.htm

The exact same price, but definitely not budget. They're also available in a chrome shock/black spring combo and, most importantly - they have 15 clicks of rebound damping adjustment. The only problem is that like everything else nowadays, they are currently out of stock; but these would certainly fill the bill in my estimation, and there would be no need to rebuild a brand new shock right off the bat in order to get it to work well.

I'm going to open an account and put these in the wishlist, maybe that will encourage them to get a move on restocking these.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #9

These are Perfect, I Think

That TecBikePartUSA site also has models available for the RE 650's. This set is $20 cheaper at $219, but still has adjustable rebound damping, AND they're in stock:

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_.../re-sh-23a.htm

Screw it, I'm getting a set.

Done! Shipping is an extra $32.50, so $251.50 for adjustable length 350mm-390mm shocks, with adjustable preload, 80mm of travel, and with 15 click rebound adjustment.

They're also available in an all black model:

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/Blac...e-sh-23a-b.htm

The only downside that I can see is that they come set up with a spring that is rated for a 160-240 lb rider weight, with nothing available for heavier riders. They do, however, have a lower rate spring available for sub 160 lb riders.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
That TecBikePartUSA site also has models available for the RE 650's. This set is $20 cheaper at $219, but still has adjustable rebound damping, AND they're in stock:

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_.../re-sh-23a.htm

Screw it, I'm getting a set.

Done! Shipping is an extra $32.50, so $251.50 for adjustable length 350mm-390mm shocks, with adjustable preload, 80mm of travel, and with 15 click rebound adjustment.

They're also available in an all black model:

https://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/Blac...e-sh-23a-b.htm

The only downside that I can see is that they come set up with a spring that is rated for a 160-240 lb rider weight, with nothing available for heavier riders. They do, however, have a lower rate spring available for sub 160 lb riders.

Cool, let me know how those work out.
That said, the TEC shocks are still budget made-in-china shocks. They share some parts with the RFY, but have a different reservoir casting and obviously the rebound adjustment. They're assembled better, which is also good.

But with Hagons, you tell Hagon the weight of the bike, the weight of the rider, and the length of the shock and they'll custom build you one that will work great for your application, with proper damping setup for the bike and rider specs. It's non-adjustable, but you basically get a custom shock that will work specifically for your bike. Hagon also has EXCELLENT support, whereas TEC systems is known for extremely lacking support.

All in all, I'm probably going to snag a pair of RFYs so I can dial in the ride height correctly. If too high, I can introduce a weave or wobble especially at higher speeds. Once I figure out what works, then I can order Hagon (or any other brand) and know the length I need to get.

Charles.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info, guys. I have an SG400 scheduled for delivery on Friday. I'm 205 without gear, so know I"ll be upgrading rear shocks first thing.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolderhawk View Post
Thanks for all the info, guys. I have an SG400 scheduled for delivery on Friday. I'm 205 without gear, so know I"ll be upgrading rear shocks first thing.
Congratulations on the inbound SG400; you'll be impressed with it despite the rear shocks not being the greatest.

Don't hesitate to post any questions or observations that you may have about the bike - they will undoubtedly help other owners and prospective owners down the road. Also, there is another SG400 thread over on ADVRider in the 'Road Warriors' sub forum that you will probably want to follow, in addition to what is here on ChinaRiders.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #13

Well, color me impressed by TEC Bike Parts USA's shipping - I just got an email stating that they shipped out earlier today. It looks like they should be in my hands and on the SG400 in a couple of days. I'm glad that I was able to find something that is actually in stock at the moment.

It's nice to see that everything isn't jammed to the max by logistical problems right now, though I suspect that things will get a lot worse the closer we get to Christmas. As per my usual habit, I'm probably going to pull the plug on any online orders that require shipping starting in the early part of November, and lasting until after the holidays, just to avoid the holiday induced chaos.

I've now got the rear shocks, handle bar risers, auxiliary lights, combination voltmeter/12V/USB ports mount, KOSO Apollo heated grips, and CSC two port switch housing here and ready for installation. Only thing that I'm still waiting for is a pair of fork mount light brackets for the previously mentioned auxiliary lights. Those are on the proverbial slow boat from China and should be here in another week or two.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #14

Awesome! So, what kind of rider are you? Have you done any track days, or competitive events? Or do you just get happy from time to time in the back roads?

I ask this, because I'm bringing up the fork issue again. Although, the fork is usually easily remedied with thicker oil, and sometimes heavier springs (an issue I need to correct on my KPM).

Also, congrats on finding anything other than the ohlins!!! I figured that wasn't the best stopping point. I need to look at YEC and see if they have any single shocks that can fit my bike... As soon as I get a measurement for the shock. Lol.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Also, there is another SG400 thread over on ADVRider in the 'Road Warriors' sub forum that you will probably want to follow, in addition to what is here on ChinaRiders.
I've been following that one too, thank you.