Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #1861

The Minben is sailing at 9.2 knots, and is approaching the city of Jingzhou.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #1862
Banned

Congratulations, Joe.

Talk about ANYTHING just about while waiting...cameras, or inland freight, or Englands deliveries or watching "ants" crawl down a river to port and and then?! By the way, Joe, any decisions re shipping or staying in port for resolution on strike?
Hoping for some better solutions re camera as I'm unable to buy one at this time, it seems, if $4-500. Too many things calling me and the RX-3 that have priority (and seniority on the "list".
Great news on engine getting more good press (again).

Old 02-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #1863

An hour ago the Minben reached Yueyang.

The vessel is sailing northeast toward Wuhan at 10.5 knots.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #1864

10.5 knots. They opened it up.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #1865

[QUOTE=thillskier Hoping for some better solutions re camera as I'm unable to buy one at this time, it seems, if $4-500.
[/QUOTE]

thillskier, I use a P&S Canon Powershot D10 like this one for motorcycling. Waterproof, 12mp, easy to operate and fits in pocket. Takes good enough pics and vids for my travels. I get them used on ebay and if I break it or it falls off at highway speeds ,oh well. They had a problem with leakage when snorkeling with them down to 16". So they no longer make them. The simple fix is to open the side door that you put the accessary cables into and fill it with silicone ,shut the door and never open it again. The bottom door for the card and battery doesn't leak so works for me. I just take card in and out to load on computer or to remove battery to recharge. Like they say ,any camera is better then no camera. I use to lug a setup with lenses and body around also but I just don't want to lug all that around any more. Need the space for tent , undies ,etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerS...item259f5f7e0c

Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #1866

Wonder if this will slow down the Minben a few days ?
Chinese New Year Holiday from Feb.16th to Feb.26th.,2015

Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Okay, I think I now understand. The top case should carry a very heavy load, since it has a very wide, horizontal support underneath it. I frequently carry 30-35 pounds in my J.C. Whitney Travel Trunks on both my Honda XR650L and Zongshen ZS200GY-2. These trunks are made of plastic, and I don't have any problems loading them down and traveling over rough terrain.

The panniers might not bear the weight as well, since the horizontal supports beneath them are smaller, and they are more subject to lateral forces. In this instance, the plastic mounts of the panniers might fail after many miles of sustaining heavy loads. Perhaps Katflap can see if the mounting points of the plastic panniers are reinforced.
The panniers have no extra reinforcement but the moulded shapes by the fixing holes makes it quite rigid.

Held on with 4 bolts (10mm bolt head) and washers going through 4mm plastic. There is also a cargo net inside to stop your stuff landing up on the road when you open it !.

Hope to post a short "first 200 miles review " over the weekend .

Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
That sounds like a possible bottleneck for sure, especially if the Minben has to be unloaded and reloaded in Shanghai during that time.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #1869
Banned

Mindset of tester riders before, during, and after ride...

I'm not sure you been thanked for getting these certified, and importing them, and making them available to us buyers at IMHO, a great deal, especially us in the first adopter group of initial bikes.
I've been looking for a few yrs for a suitable adv ride, all in the 250cc range. Had decided the Wr250 was best compromise for me (6'4" and back then 230-240 lbs), now less by about 50-60 lbs, still needing the "space" though. I still couldn't make #'s work, even used, with the 3000 needed to use the bike as an adv and offroad/boonies bike safely.
This bike seems perfect, and INCLUDES the mandatory upgrades from a std dual sport, is new, and still cheaper than 2008 used bikes (the first efi'ed wr250, & the oldest that would do what I wanted that has EFI.)

The fact it comes with a few $thousand up specing ADV stuff already on the bike, and therefore even more good to go, and, upping the value quotient even more. I hope we can get an evaluation of the luggage before delivery. That will help those who are trying to figure out space and packing, planning on doing Baha, and or a ride home.
Do you use/recommend a "loop type bag or? for your "stuff" on longer adv riding?

I'm on your list for a tank bag, as well as other accessories. Hopefully the bikes can attract some aftermarket support, quickly, so the bike can be all things to all people as much as possible...insuring sales are reaching potential, and you guys get $ rewarded, and can continue to support and import this bike, and more, maybe a 450 someday, and a 125 as well, for my Grandson to ride with me and my son on an adventure! (Lots of smaller riders, especially women would want a 125, especially with a Grom type engine, efi'ed and capable of 65-70mph (stock). Also great beginner bike, for teens or others on a really tight budget. 125's ROCKED when I was legal motorcycle age, though I went from a Gaucho 50 (suzuki) to a 185 Suzuki. All my friends had 125's, either SUzuki's or Yamaha's. Great and very capable DS. Though who knew, we just did it out of necessity.
Great fun and memories, though. AAnd why I'm buying this bike, and want my son and Grandson to have the chance to experience the adventures as well, while I can teach them what I've learned.
ANyway, Thanks, Joe. Continued G/L with your venture(s).

Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #1870
Banned

:)! Lovin this forum more and more! Thanks rjmorel

rjmorel,
Thats the solution I was looking for. For now, at least. Room is gonna be at a premium, and riding cross country will really stress space constraints, no matter what I do. The extra luxury for the lenses and camera when Local, is well worth it. However, when unsupported, and probably alone on my trek (without back up or other way to carry any extra stuff), my bike and me, ONLY. Its really a no brainer. That is a great idea for a camera, and I CAN afford it, by when I start my ride. I'm liking the waterproof, and leaks at 16' aren't a deal breaker for me...(Hell, if I get to 16' depth on my ride home, the camera ISN'T gonna be what I'm worrying about, Guaranteed!hehe

Space is at a REAL premium, ie: I also, solely must bring my selection of each tool I may need to assemble, tweak, and test, then maintain, repair the bike. (if any and I'm doubtfull I'll have any issues re that honestly),
BUT I was am an Eagle Scout, so be prepared, is still my motto, as is self sufficiency, and a few other things I value and cherish, a LOT, and mourn that those things are considered passe' and old fashioned by many.

Thank you much. Advice taken, and am looking up the powershot as I write!

Old 02-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #1871

"thillskier....Thank you much. Advice taken, and am looking up the powershot as I write"

thillskier, I'd be glad to donate one for your trip ,I have several all certified by the ocean back in 2012. Then at end of trip send it back to me , since they are such rare and collectible cameras . By then you can decide on a "more better" camera. This way you can save the pesos for Baja and back home run. who's the man!!!!!!! rj

Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
10.5 knots. They opened it up.
They are out of the gorges, and the river has widened. The Minben has one more bend in the river to negotiate before it heads straight to Wuhan, which is about halfway from Chongqing to Shanghai.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
...Hoping for some better solutions re camera as I'm unable to buy one at this time, it seems, if $4-500. Too many things calling me and the RX-3 that have priority (and seniority on the "list".
Great news on engine getting more good press (again).
Quote:
thillskier, I use a P&S Canon Powershot D10 like this one for motorcycling. Waterproof, 12mp, easy to operate and fits in pocket. Takes good enough pics and vids for my travels. I get them used on ebay and if I break it or it falls off at highway speeds ,oh well. They had a problem with leakage when snorkeling with them down to 16". So they no longer make them. The simple fix is to open the side door that you put the accessary cables into and fill it with silicone ,shut the door and never open it again. The bottom door for the card and battery doesn't leak so works for me. I just take card in and out to load on computer or to remove battery to recharge. Like they say ,any camera is better then no camera. I use to lug a setup with lenses and body around also but I just don't want to lug all that around any more. Need the space for tent , undies ,etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerS...item259f5f7e0c
I always carry a camera with me, whenever and wherever I ride. I prefer smaller cameras, especially when riding technical single track, since I have a tendency to fall, and I don't want to damage either myself, or an expensive camera. I insist on having a viewfinder, since I can't see an LCD display in bright sunlight. Therefore, I also like the Canon Powershot cameras. Most of my Zongshen photographs were taken with a Canon Powershot A590, until it finally expired. At that time Canon wasn't making a Powershot camera with a viewfinder, so I moved up in size to a FinePix S3200.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/fuj...fujifilm_s3200

This camera is small enough that I can carry it in a case on my belt, and it takes much better photographs than the Canon Powershot cameras.

However, I missed packing the smaller, Canon Powershot camera on difficult, technical trails. Therefore, I bought a refurbished, Canon Powershot A1300 for $60 from shop.canon.usa.com.

You can get a refurbished, Canon A1400 for $55 to $60, delivered, on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerS...25.m3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-BLACK-...71522580&rt=nc

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #1874

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
That sounds like a possible bottleneck for sure, especially if the Minben has to be unloaded and reloaded in Shanghai during that time.
I do know the Chinese New Year Holiday shuts down my Taobao agent. I don't know if the holiday will affect commercial shipping. I'm pretty sure the Minben will transfer it's cargo to a much larger, ocean going vessel in Shanghai.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
The panniers have no extra reinforcement but the moulded shapes by the fixing holes makes it quite rigid.

Held on with 4 bolts (10mm bolt head) and washers going through 4mm plastic. There is also a cargo net inside to stop your stuff landing up on the road when you open it !.

Hope to post a short "first 200 miles review " over the weekend .
Thank you, Katflap, aka Grand Poobah. Indeed, I was inquiring whether reinforcement was molded into the plastic cases. I'm sure the panniers will also hold a lot of weight. Are the panniers also supported by the horizontal bar at the bottom of the racks?

I prefer to travel light; therefore, I really like the stock luggage. To gain a little more storage and also gain the ability to remove the trunk, I am going to substitute a larger, J.C. Whitney/Garage Pro Travel Trunk for the top case. However, I am inclined to keep the narrower panniers until I am absolutely sure I need more space.

If one decides he needs more space, it is possible he can keep the stock pannier mounts, and mount either aluminum Tusk panniers, or plastic Pelican cases in place of the stock panniers. Then he can switch back to the narrower stock panniers whenever he chooses.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...num%20panniers

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-pl1430nf...FZFefgodDAYACw

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220