Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #3331

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I called CSC this morning, and got some information regarding the shock absorber. Indeed, the shock does contain nitrogen, and the pressure of the gas might be as high as 320-375 psi. I'm sure if the nitrogen pressure were low, my shock would not be functioning as well as it is.

I am on the hunt for an aftermarket shock absorber. Is anyone else interested in upgrading the stock shock absorber?
Spud, please post the dimensions of the shock, once you remove it. I have a cool ZX-6 shock that might work well for you, and I can't use it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #3332

headlight an shock

yep spud i got 80% of my taobo order ,,,missing the filter set which had oil and fuel filter,,which they swear they put it in the box ,,,not there ,,,but i did get the L.E.D headlight and installed it just now,,it was nt completely dark here yet ,,I do thin k its going to work well ,,as the now the bottom accent light is now a low beam,,,an the high beam is up where the regular bulb was...Great commuter bike ,, but my forks must be bottoming ,cause my fender has melt marks on it from the hot header,,,,and yes a diff rear shock could help also,,,,,,,im hoping a fork oil change helps the front,,,,also got the the new upgrade dash and centerstand installed ,,,yes ,,yes i know i gotta start new threads.............

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Very good. Please keep us informed.

If I may, what tires did you end up putting on your RX-3?
I mounted a Shinko 244 tire, size 5.10-17, on the rear wheel. I mounted a Kenda K270 tire, size 3.50-18, on the front wheel. You can see photos of the tires at the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14652

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #3334

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Yes, it is a good upgrade. I liked how easy it was to drop the whole headlight to work on it.
I posted a new thread regarding changing the bulb in the headlight at the following link. If you have any further insight to add to that thread, please do so.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14665

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Spud, I'm sure I'll be looking to upgrade the shock when I get back. Suspension is a pet peeve of mine. Is the schrader valve a high pressure model like on an acft or a regular car type? Can you post a picture? If it's harnessing 300+ psi, I'm thinking it's an acft type.
Good for you, Veteran. This morning I talked to Ryan and Rich at CSC regarding the possibilities for an aftermarket shock absorber.

I haven't yet removed the shock, or removed the saddle to inspect the schrader valve. However, I might make some progress in that area tomorrow. In the meanwhile, here is an image of the RX3 shock from the Taobao website.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Spud, please post the dimensions of the shock, once you remove it. I have a cool ZX-6 shock that might work well for you, and I can't use it.
Thank you, Weld. I am going to adjust the free sag and the race sag for the shock very soon. At that time I might also remove the shock, and get the measurements.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #3337

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
yep spud i got 80% of my taobo order ,,,missing the filter set which had oil and fuel filter,,which they swear they put it in the box ,,,not there...
Good for you, Fish. My order has shipped, so I hope to have the upgraded LED headlight in a few days. Whenever I am missing an item from my Taobao agent, I request a refund for it. I have never been refused a refund.

Quote:
...but i did get the L.E.D headlight and installed it just now,,it was nt completely dark here yet ,,I do thin k its going to work well ,,as the now the bottom accent light is now a low beam,,,an the high beam is up where the regular bulb was...
Does the headlight have one, or two LED bulbs?

Quote:
...Great commuter bike ,, but my forks must be bottoming ,cause my fender has melt marks on it from the hot header,,,,and yes a diff rear shock could help also,,,,,,,im hoping a fork oil change helps the front,,,,also got the the new upgrade dash and centerstand installed ,,,yes ,,yes i know i gotta start new threads.............
I replaced the stock fork oil with 330ml of Mobil1 Synthetic ATF. The fork action has improved significantly since I changed the fork oil. I am hoping the shock will also improve after I adjust the sag properly. However, I still want to get a quality, aftermarket shock absorber. Call Ryan at CSC and put in a request for an improved shock absorber. We eagerly await your new threads.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 09-20-2015 at 04:35 AM.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #3338

I would like to have a shock with about 5 preset, preload conditions for the spring. The Kawaskai KLR650 shock has this feature. The preload settings are easily adjusted with a wrench, and this is a very convenient feature when you are loading the bike for a trip, or unloading the bike after a trip. I think it would be great if a KLR650 shock, or a similar shock, fits the Zongshen RX3. I plan to post new threads on the forks, and the shock absorber, in the near future.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 AM   #3339

Hi, all.

"50/50 ethylene glycol/distilled water cooling fluid with corrosion inhibitors intended for use in aluminum engines." - from de CSC blog.

Any brand from the cooling fluid?
I suspect I have a regular cooling fluid, and I would like to change iit and use a good one.
BTW I'm from Peru.

________

I just realize my visor from the master cylinder is empty. I guess it's missing break fluid, and that's why I've noticed some decrease in the breaking. Do you mine change yours?

Also if someone can check my last photos two pages ago and say something it would be nice.
The service center here is awful about this bike. I'm sure is a great bike. Let me tell you, 2 weeks ago they give the bike with less oil and less cooling fluid. Days ago recently they complete it.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #3340

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Unless it reappears the next time it rains, or you ride through water, or a dog pees on the bike. Yes, pee happens. I think the Chinese have the right mindset about dogs. Yum!
Gave a new meaning to raining cats and dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Maybe it's water-related, but some gear indicators require a really solid shift to activate. On my v-strom sometimes I'll be in gear but the indicator reads a dash. Happened more during break-in but less as I put on miles and started making more solid shifts.
The indicator disappeared while I was cruising on the same gear. I think it's water-related. Have to pray for another storm to test it again. BTW, thank you for the feedback.

On another case, the side panniers are definitely not waterproof. Waters leaked in from the same storm, but luckily for the left pannier, I put my stuff inside my Kriega US10 (didn't strap it at the back seat, because I was heading to an urban area with theft cases).

But for the right pannier, my tool roll was damp, and there were ponds of water inside it that dripped after I opened the pannier to check my stuff.

Tourfella perhaps? Checked TaoBao, but thinking of ordering racks only, to save up some courier fees.

No wonder aliens never make contact with us.

-A Zong rider-

Old 05-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #3341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqueas View Post
Hi, all.

"50/50 ethylene glycol/distilled water cooling fluid with corrosion inhibitors intended for use in aluminum engines." - from de CSC blog.

Any brand from the cooling fluid?
I suspect I have a regular cooling fluid, and I would like to change iit and use a good one.
BTW I'm from Peru...
I think most antifreeze sold in the United States meets the criteria listed. Almost all coolant sold here is aluminum friendly, and contains corrosion inhibitors. I think this is also probably true for most, if not all, the antifreeze sold in Peru.

Quote:
...I just realize my visor from the master cylinder is empty. I guess it's missing break fluid, and that's why I've noticed some decrease in the breaking. Do you mine change yours?...
I suggest you remove the cap from the master cylinder to inspect the quantity of brake fluid. If the fluid level is low, you can add some more. However, don't add too much, or you can cause the front brake to lock if the system heats enough to cause the brake fluid to expand.

If your front brake is losing stopping power, I suggest you bleed the brake fluid. Perhaps this service is covered by your warranty, and you can have the local dealer perform the service. If not, you can learn how to perform this procedure by reading the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=7084

Quote:
...Also if someone can check my last photos two pages ago and say something it would be nice.
The service center here is awful about this bike. I'm sure is a great bike. Let me tell you, 2 weeks ago they give the bike with less oil and less cooling fluid. Days ago recently they complete it.
I don't think the 'holes' shown in your photographs are causing your problem. Have you checked to see if the coolant is full in your left radiator, as suggested?

I am sorry to hear of the poor service from your local dealer. I'm glad they finally added the proper level of oil and coolant for your motorcycle.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2015, 04:20 AM   #3342

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
Gave a new meaning to raining cats and dogs.

The indicator disappeared while I was cruising on the same gear. I think it's water-related. Have to pray for another storm to test it again. BTW, thank you for the feedback.

On another case, the side panniers are definitely not waterproof. Waters leaked in from the same storm, but luckily for the left pannier, I put my stuff inside my Kriega US10 (didn't strap it at the back seat, because I was heading to an urban area with theft cases).

But for the right pannier, my tool roll was damp, and there were ponds of water inside it that dripped after I opened the pannier to check my stuff.

Tourfella perhaps? Checked TaoBao, but thinking of ordering racks only, to save up some courier fees.
Thanks for posting the update from Malaysia. We don't get monsoon rains in the United States. I'm sure you are testing the waterproof features of all parts of your motorcycle, not just the digital dashboard and luggage. If everything else is running well, I think you are proving the water-worthiness of the Zongshen RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #3343

Reading In the CSC Baja blog about the bloke who lost his counter shaft sprocket nut I was a little surprised.

Not by the loss of the nut, but the fact that it was a nut and not a bolt.

Though I know the CSC RX3 has a number of upgrades / differences to the Honley RX3 (UK), I thought the engines were exactly the same.

This appears to not be the case

CSC RX3

Honley RX3

Old 05-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Reading In the CSC Baja blog about the bloke who lost his counter shaft sprocket nut I was a little surprised.

Not by the loss of the nut, but the fact that it was a nut and not a bolt.

Though I know the CSC RX3 has a number of upgrades / differences to the Honley RX3 (UK), I thought the engines were exactly the same.

This appears to not be the case

CSC RX3

Honley RX3

I'm failing to visualize how a bolt would hold your sprocket on. Can you post of pic of your installed sprocket for us?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #3345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm failing to visualize how a bolt would hold your sprocket on. Can you post of pic of your installed sprocket for us?
Here you go