Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert44 View Post
from what i have been reading, top speed for most people is around 60 without mods. i weigh 175, have 17 front sprocket and stock (i think 50) rear sprocket and my bike tops out at 48-49 mph. my sons hawk has stock front and rear and his tops just about the same. i have rejetted carb. why are the bike so slow?
thanks!!
It is a struggle to get a no mods Hawk to 60 mph. The exhaust system is just too restrictive. But when you get past 500 miles, the engine will free up considerably, assuming you keep your valve clearances within spec. In your case I think you are over geared for an un-broken in engine and bike. You might try a 16 tooth front sprocket, which will give you a little bit more horsepower on the top end. Remember there's a lot of stuff that has to break in in that first 500 miles. Not just the piston rings and bore, there is a gear drive primary, and an all indirect 5 speed transmission that all have to wear in. For your amusement, I once owned a 250 cc AJS CSR with virtually the same engine, but a chain drive primary and a 4 spd tranny with direct drive in 4th. Chain drive has less losses than gear drive, and a direct drive transmission has less power loss than an all indirect drive, and so I got stopped by a CHP for doing 84 mph on that little hummer. He turned me loose when he found out it was a 250. "250's can't go that fast". I didn't argue with him....ARH