Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #1

Hawk Twins

Hello All!

My name is Matt and I recently took the plunge on two Hawk 250s that should be on their way to me this week. One for me ("Caboose" Blue) and one for my girlfriend ("Donut" Red. Well not really, its not Lightish Red). We are going to upgrade them and take them on THIS.

Based on my research, we will be breaking them in as people on this forum recommend and checking all things to make sure they are definitely ship shape before the ride. We are also planning on swapping to the Mikuni carb and adding the oil cooler to help keep things running smoothly. I have a whole list that I hope to document and provide on this site as well as a trip report.

A bit more about myself, I was a globe trotting mechanic but the schedule got to be too much so I took a sales job where I'm home most nights and moved in together with my girlfriend while she finishes school. I am a massive nerd (if you caught the Red vs. Blue reference above you probably already know this) but my passion is all things two wheels. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years and our favorite things are pedal start mopeds and motorcycles and long road trips. We wrench and ride a lot together and even took the coursework to be rider coaches so in the summer we get to teach classes together and its the best summer job! We are about motorcycles. I have 4-5 (I lose count) that I hope to be selling once the weather gets better and she also has 4-5 of her own to par down lol!

Anyway I am really looking forward to getting my dirty mitts on the Hawks and preparing them for the hardest 1000 miles I've ridden in a while!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #2

Nice bikes and good ride. My GF and our son are from high mountain coal minig villages in Perry county KY. Lots of good gravel and backwoods riding around there.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #3

Looks like quite an adv! Welcome to the club.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Nice bikes and good ride. My GF and our son are from high mountain coal minig villages in Perry county KY. Lots of good gravel and backwoods riding around there.
We'll be riding with good friends that live in Louisville that are also a mix of experienced trail riders and newbies. From what I've researched of the trip its a lot of that sort of riding with some single track mixed in here and there. It will be a great time!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

that looks like a lot of fun. I'm looking at trying out some of the Trans America Trail here in NC. looks similar to the route you have.

this guy isn't the original one, but he's mapped routes through NC which cross I-77 just north of where I am. I'm trying to plan some day rides for the routes between I77 and the NC/TN border.

https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...-america-trail

Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

Where are you located?
I'm down in Somerset, Kentucky, and have ridden a few sections of the K.A.T. It's a great route for sure.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
Where are you located?
I'm down in Somerset, Kentucky, and have ridden a few sections of the K.A.T. It's a great route for sure.
I'm actually up by Richmond, IN but we have lots of friends through the vintage moped clubs and our closest pals are in the Louisville crew. Went with a few of those guys out to Colorado and ran that BDR with them. My first trail ride and the only other dirt experience I had at the time was someone's lot behind their house! I feel like I did pretty good, very glad I did it on an XL250! Light bikes on trails are the way to go.

How gnarly are the single track sections of the KAT if you have done any?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

I've done some of the "Hard" sections in my area, and think the Hawks should do fine on them, since they are basically a dirt bike with lights....some narrow sections...but if you run the Main sections, instead of the hard sections, most Adventure bikes can handle it.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #9

Welcome, Matt! Several of us are nerds of one form or another around here; you'll fit right in.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #10

Empty...any news on the blessed event?

I love watching box trucks giving birth to hawks and RX3's
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Empty...any news on the blessed event?

I love watching box trucks giving birth to hawks and RX3's
Called ASPC for the third time since my order (placed 2 weeks ago and paid for) and still keep getting the "Oh we've got a ton of orders and I need to find out what shipped when" story each time from them. Last two times promised a call back, nothing. Apparently that Hawk sale raked in a bunch of orders. I'm normally quite patient and understanding but this is getting to be a bit ridiculous, especially when I don't get a promised call back. I think I'll call today and keep calling until I actually get an answer of what is going on with my order. Sheesh...

Once I actually get to haul them home in my ancient Mazda longbed I'll post pics

Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #12

Have you tried RPS? I am quite certain your bikes will be drop-shipped from RPS's warehouse in Texas. Not necessarily to bug RPS, but perhaps they can put your mind at ease and let you know of the status of your 'twins' such as "yes, they are ordered, and waiting for pickup as we speak..."

Adam Renkleff is a stand-up guy, and while your order is between you and ASPCUSA, again, Adam might be able to put your mind at ease as to where, on his end, your order is.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Have you tried RPS? I am quite certain your bikes will be drop-shipped from RPS's warehouse in Texas. Not necessarily to bug RPS, but perhaps they can put your mind at ease and let you know of the status of your 'twins' such as "yes, they are ordered, and waiting for pickup as we speak..."

Adam Renkleff is a stand-up guy, and while your order is between you and ASPCUSA, again, Adam might be able to put your mind at ease as to where, on his end, your order is.
I've seen good reviews about Don at ASPC too, its why I went through with ordering from them. I got a bit more info about the bikes, they should be at the freight terminal or at least close, going to get confirmation when the warehouse (assuming RPS) opens in an hour or so.

UPDATE: just got a call back from Greg and Don and got the shipping arranged the way I needed, the bikes should be arriving on Monday!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #14

RPS is the US distributor for the Hawk. They do not sell directly to consumers. Adam Renkleff, who works for RPS, is a member here. Your twins will come from RPS. It is just a matter of a truck picking up your bikes and getting them to you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
I'm actually up by Richmond, IN but we have lots of friends through the vintage moped clubs and our closest pals are in the Louisville crew. Went with a few of those guys out to Colorado and ran that BDR with them. My first trail ride and the only other dirt experience I had at the time was someone's lot behind their house! I feel like I did pretty good, very glad I did it on an XL250! Light bikes on trails are the way to go.

How gnarly are the single track sections of the KAT if you have done any?

I live on up in Columbus Indiana and am looking to do the same thing for my wife and I for her birthday. taught her to ride on an old Yamaha ttr225 that I rode a little to hard and sold lol. definitely curious to see how your bikes turn out cause I can't wait to order mine!