Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

New guy here

Hi guys, gave a lot of thought to buying a Royal Enfield Himalayan for a month or so....then discovered the world of inexpensive China bikes.

(BTW what does the abbreviation CG mean? I guess the C is China, but haven't figured out the G.)

Looking at getting a 200cc or 250cc dualsport bike. So a couple of questions:
1. of the brands/models available on Amazon, which vendors have given good service? Which to avoid?
b. Which bikes are better thought of? If you had it to do over again, would you buy the same bike or another one? I'm inclined to go EFI.

TIA for your help!

Edit: I am 71 and not new to motorcycles. I have had about two dozen bikes over the years, but not since about 1995. I do pretty much all my own wrenching on cars/bikes. My expectation is that I am buying a crate of parts that happen to be loosely assembled, and I have to finish the job.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
My expectation is that I am buying a crate of parts that happen to be loosely assembled, and I have to finish the job.
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you! This is a reasonable and accurate expectation. Sounds like PDI and maintenance won't be an issue for you, though!

IG: @TyGuyProductions

Old 09-02-2021, 04:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi guys, gave a lot of thought to buying a Royal Enfield Himalayan for a month or so....then discovered the world of inexpensive China bikes.

(BTW what does the abbreviation CG mean? I guess the C is China, but haven't figured out the G.)

Looking at getting a 200cc or 250cc dualsport bike. So a couple of questions:
1. of the brands/models available on Amazon, which vendors have given good service? Which to avoid?
b. Which bikes are better thought of? If you had it to do over again, would you buy the same bike or another one? I'm inclined to go EFI.

TIA for your help!

Edit: I am 71 and not new to motorcycles. I have had about two dozen bikes over the years, but not since about 1995. I do pretty much all my own wrenching on cars/bikes. My expectation is that I am buying a crate of parts that happen to be loosely assembled, and I have to finish the job.
Hello and welcome! If you would like a good EFI China bike and have it already assembled from a dealer for a decent price then check out fentonpowersports.com They are only a little over a half hour from you and they show a Lifan Xpect 200 EFI at a price of $2500 out the door plus your state fees.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 09-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #4

Welcome aboard!

I hope at 71 I still have the itch to go riding.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 09-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

Thanks to all. I am looking for an additional vehicle. All I have now is a small soccer-mom SUV, a 2009 Kia Rondo. Does all I really need a vehicle to do, but I really like having a backup vehicle in case the main one goes down for repairs. A China bike covers a lot of ground: cheap, great mileage, hauls my body around as the backup, and fun.

@ TyGuy: wrenching is part of the fun, esp. when installing upgrades!

@ jeffrey: thanks for the CG info. I just noticed yesterday, watching a Youtube cam-install vid, that these are all pushrod motors. Aha, that's why the lower power numbers.....

@ herbie: Holy bat guano, I had no idea there was a dealer so close! I thought everything was done via shipping to the customer's door. And the Xpect 200 was what I was most focused on. And I just happen to be going that way this morning, for another errand. I will report my findings. Do you have experience with them?

@ TxTaoRider: 95% of health is what we stick in our pie-holes--both good and bad. I mostly eat healthy, and take supplements as appropriate. Pretty active physically. Looking forward to 80. Haven't been to a doctor since my mandatory Army retirement physical in 1997.

Last edited by TominMO; 09-27-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #6

I hope it works out for you Tom! I don’t have any personal experience with them other than phone conversations, they used to sell a Bashan Storm 250 that I was interested in. I plan going to the dealership this Saturday to check things out and see what they have to offer.
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 09-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #7

Herbie, the website says they are open 11 - 7 Mon - Thu. Closed Fri - Sun. FYI.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Thanks Tom, I didn’t even look at the hours, I’m pretty sure they used to be open like half a day on Saturday but maybe not. I may go anyway to try and find it. I talked to them a few months ago and they said they are kind of out of the way and hard to find by some.
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 09-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Thanks Tom, I didn’t even look at the hours, I’m pretty sure they used to be open like half a day on Saturday but maybe not. I may go anyway to try and find it. I talked to them a few months ago and they said they are kind of out of the way and hard to find by some.
Yeah, it is hard to find. For one thing, the street sign was taken out by a large truck!

Basically, from Gravois/Hwy 30 you turn onto New Sugar Creek Rd. Go 1/2 mile. Going down a hill, you see a daycare center on the left. Just after that is the street, which looks like a normal residential street until you get on it and see the industrial park farther down.

Instead of a street sign, there is a largish "Fenton Powerports" sign on the lawn of the first house on the street.

The business is on the left, at the back of the building with the addresses 1322 and 1324. Right side of the building, at the rear.

Oh BTW I bought a green 2021 Lifan X-pect. Picking it up next Thursday, for logistical reasons. They also have two red ones. Every other bike in the shop is off-road only, from 50cc to 140cc. I think they are all SSRs.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #10

That’s cool Tom, congratulations on the new bike!! That’s an awesome feeling for sure. I hope it fits the bill for you. Thanks for the heads up on the directions too
1978 Kawasaki KL250

Old 09-03-2021, 03:10 AM   #11

Quote:

Hello TominMO, just joined the site right after you. Just got my bike today myself. Like you said, comes in a crate, you put it together.

Makes you feel like you earned the right to ride it in a way.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooterman View Post
Hello TominMO, just joined the site right after you. Just got my bike today myself. Like you said, comes in a crate, you put it together.

Makes you feel like you earned the right to ride it in a way.
Actually, as it turns out I am buying mine from a local dealer. $2500 OTD and assembled of course.

Two things I will check even before firing it up are the spark plug gap and valve clearance, as from my reading the Chinese are notorious for not doing these right at the factory. Not sure if it is all brands or not, but doesn't hurt to check. Also worth checking for a kinked breather hose under the gas tank.

Upgrade plans:
folding shift lever: https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Shift...s%2C192&sr=8-2
Barkbusters or similar
cheap cargo box
possible airbox mods, as needed--see the video below on this Hawk airbox mod
NGK spark plug*
other stuff as I think of them

* I am assuming the bike comes with some iffy Chinese plug, correct? Which specific
NGK plug is recommended for the X-pect?

Last edited by TominMO; 09-03-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #13

We like pictures! Snap a couple for us guys with the old bikes
1978 Kawasaki KL250