Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #1

Hello From Texas

Hey guys, been reading around the past couple of weeks and finally decided to make a post. I have 1 question. Is there a list or a thread where it states which companies are the same such as blank brand is the same as lifan and blank brand is the same as roketa. I have been really interested in purchasing a bike or scooter and would like to know which brands are reliable and a list like this can helps tons.

Thanks guys! This site is great

Chris

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Welcome, I don't know of any such list.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

Welcome here. Like Jim said, no list really exists.

However, Lifan does not make other brands' bikes, so you could narrow that one down. But, in a weird kind of twist, it is believed that other companies manufacture for Lifan, i.e. Hi-Bird's older bikes were virtual clones of Lifan bikes down to the engines, so some thought/still think that others make some of Lifan's lineup.

Zongshen is the OEM of choice for several brands, as well as other brands' engines. Roketa is pretty much a Zongshen-manufactured bike, it is believed by many, for instance.

Then, there are the Shineray-made bikes. Shinerays can be identified by the designed large "s" sort of shape on their tank. There are several brands manufactured by Shineray, none that come to mind at the moment, but if you see a large "s" kinda shape on the tank, it's a Shineray.

Qingqi makes several of Suzuki's smaller engined bikes, such as the DR200s. Qingqi's are legal for the US, but very few of them are here in Qingqi's name--most of them are re-branded as Qlink (the entire Qlink lineup is not Qingqi-made, just the two enduros they have, the XF200 and XP200) These bikes are more expensive as far as Chinese bikes go, however, and are kind of overpriced IMO, so you might be better off waiting for Qingqi to get their act together and bring their own lineup over.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Welcome!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! What do you guys think of the Roketa BAHAMA 150

http://www.atvdiscounter.com/Scooter...oductInfo.aspx

or the SunL SLD-200B

http://www.atvdiscounter.com/Dirt-Bi...oductInfo.aspx

These guys are somewhat local so I could easily pick one up plus they discount students so says their site. I really like enduros but the lifan is too expensive for me right now so the SunL is more budget friendly and I like the look a little better. I am also considering a scooter and I really like the looks and price of that Roketa.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

How to plan to use the bike? Scooters have some advantages/limitations.

Please search the dealer forum on ATVd. They don't have the best rep, but I think those that have bought from them in person have done alright.

Sunl does not have a good rep on getting replacement parts either.

Allen

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #7

Bike use

well i mainly want something to just have fun on. i would like a dual sport so i can run it offroad sometime for kicks but a scooter sounds like fun also to ride around some backroads

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

The scooters are easy to ride in traffic and alittle more commuter friendly.

The dual sports can be set up for mostly street use and perform really well.

I would suggest trying to save up some more money and look at a 250cc scooter or a lifan dual sport over the sunl.

One more comment. If you are shorter you may want to check out the seat height of some the bikes first.

Allen

Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #9

my 2 cents....Re: Bike use

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahlig
well i mainly want something to just have fun on. i would like a dual sport so i can run it offroad sometime for kicks but a scooter sounds like fun also to ride around some backroads
I went through the same thoughts when I was looking and decided to go with the dual sport. IMHO, more capable dirt road performance.
(In my younger days, I've ridden scooters on dirt roads 8O and don't recommend it.)
Don't forget to check for a used bike. I have a Lifan. The one I bought was on Craigslist. It had already been titled and serviced, so I "missed out" on some of the problems that can go on. Saved a few hundred in shipping and price.

Bill