Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #16

Chinese Dual Sports are Not all = Equal.

I see allot of guys saying over $1500 or over $2000 I will not buy a bike. Let me help with this decision. I am not trying to be a sales person either, I have owned ridden and built them all..... in 10 years of owning a Chinese Only Dealership.

10 years ago I started with a 200GY from Lifan, and a 200GY from Shineray. Both made in the Chongqing central region of China. I have been to China Countless Times in the last 10 years, and Imported my own line. I know the factories in all areas of Chongqing, Zhejiang, and Guangzhou.

The original 150-200cc GY bikes I could find everywhere were not bad bikes, but in comparison to the Qlink, and SSR bikes..... they were absolute junk. I put almost 15,000 miles on a pair of the old 200GYs that I took to Baja several times per year. We did on road, and off road riding, and rode them hard. Not bad for a $1500 bike!

What was bad about the old GY bikes?
These bikes could be made at one of 150 different motorcycle assembly plants.
The panels would not go onto the bikes well.
Hard time lining up parts to assemble the bike.
Over all Fit & Finish was SHI#@$%^$% !!!
Cheap parts for the most part.
Hard shocks
Steel rims and handle bars
Very old Pushrod CG Honda Type Motor from late 70s
Crap Exhaust
Crap cables
Crap Slider/Cable only Carburetors

Qlink & SSR Bikes are only made by Pioneer / Qingqi. The main company is Qingqi. They have been in bed with Suzuki for over 30 years, and French Pueugeot for over 10. The company is massive, and Government Owned.... meaning unlimited R&D. This is as close as you come to seeing a mirror image of a Tokyo Plant in China. Good Stuff!!!

Fit & Finish on the entire bike is just like a $6000 Japanese Bike.
Parts quality is like Japan.
The engine is like the Suzuki DR200SE... so much more smooth and modern than GY bikes, and the old CG motors.
These engines actually have a oil filter... CGs do not.
The Qlink and SSR motors have 2x the oil capacity of the old CG motors.
The carburetors are modern vacuum operated, and come from Japan.

If you took the old and new out for a day of riding.... you would see the HUGE difference.
If you had to assemble, PDI, Tune and prepare a old and new bike out of the box for a customer, you would see a HUGE difference!!!

I assure you, there is no comparison from the old GY bikes, to the modern Qlink and SSR bikes. Do not be afraid to spend $3000 on a new one. It's still 1/2 the cost of the counterpart from Japan.... and almost the same bike.

I hope this helps......

Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

Thanks for the great info Doug. Very interesting.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #18

Great info.

Thanks!

I have owned 2 Q's and 2 GY's. Although the GY's were fine, no comparison between their quality and ride and performance to that of the Q's.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #19

Thanks W&G.....i was telling you I find the cost of used bikes in the US a little wonky sometimes. I bought a new Honda Shadow RS last year for 6K here in Ottawa. Today Craigslist in Tucson has a bunch of older Shadows and they want $4500. Seems to me they should be more in the 3K range. Same as the Chinabikes I guess...somebodys buyin 'em?? Of course, maybe I am a very skilled negotiator.....so I got that going for me anyway.
Does waynev ever come around any more?......w

Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #20

Haven't seen him in a long time; perhaps summer of last year. Funny you should bring him up, because I just found the Beast decals that he made for me. When it warms up a little, I'll install them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #21

From what I understand for Canada pricing you got a good deal on the honda.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
From what I understand for Canada pricing you got a good deal on the honda.
That totally depends upon where the purchase takes place, but I agree.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #23

The RS is not retailed in Canada anymore but you still have them. Dealers could not unload the inventory they had as the model wound down. I took one look and knew it was a beautiful thing!! Now they are in demand and considered a 'premium' bike so dealers are pretty happy to take them on trade. I accept that my measure for comparison may be tilted but it doesn't matter the product....we all think/hope our used stuff is worth more that it is. And I am a 'value' buyer after all....

http://s628.photobucket.com/user/cer...dcc5b.jpg.html

Last edited by waynec; 12-09-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #24

Here's your photo, Wayne.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #25

Nipped at the wire......thanks for the assistance Spud. I was copying the wrong link......and my cursor seemed reluctant to get the copy to 'take'. I am used to highlighting and copying...but PhotoB works it differently I guess.

Why look at this...I am now only 14,606 posts behind you on this site....w

Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec View Post
Nipped at the wire......thanks for the assistance Spud. I was copying the wrong link......and my cursor seemed reluctant to get the copy to 'take'. I am used to highlighting and copying...but PhotoB works it differently I guess.

Why look at this...I am now only 14,606 posts behind you on this site....w
You're welcome.

The great Satchel Paige has a famous quote.

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #27

Sweet Shadow, Wayne. Extra style points for the exhaust wrap.

I covet your landscaping.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #28

Thanks.....you have to know I am too much the mizer to have paid for that! I had a love affair with cement and interlock for a decade or so. The steps and wall have generous footings. Something interesting for any sustainable resourse folks among us. Papercrete.

Spud....no worries on my catching you folks on the post pace. I am not interesting enough to hold an audience for so long. At least thats what my Mother keeps telling me.......

Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #29

Wayne, bikes are pretty much overpriced here in Arizona, as you are seeing. Since I have family in L.A., and used to live there, I am not intimidated by the place, and regularly check Craigslist there to see all the deals available. I don't know which direction you will take to get to Tucson (if flying rather than driving, this will not work for you), there are always low-priced unregistered GY's in L.A. for sale; they can't be registered there (but have little to no problems in Arizona), so people try to dump them onto other Californians with ads that often state "easy to register,but I have other projects, so never went to the DMV" or other such lies. I see them somewhat regularly offered for $500 or so.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Chinese Dual Sports are Not all = Equal.

I see allot of guys saying over $1500 or over $2000 I will not buy a bike. Let me help with this decision. I am not trying to be a sales person either, I have owned ridden and built them all..... in 10 years of owning a Chinese Only Dealership.
I think the difference is financing versus cash at this point. I have a TMEC 200 which has all the 'bad' stuff, but it has been very reliable the year since I took ownership (I bought it used). Fit is alot better than my old Jetmoto 200 GY, while finish is probably about the same. I would buy another one for $1600.

I have toyed with the idea of trying to finance a SSR 250 with the fat tires (I like the look of those tires, even if the motard-style ones, like on my TMEC, are probably better suited to my 30 mile daily commute ( 15 miles each way). I figure the payments should be low for a $2700 bike. I know that the members with Qlinks, from4 or more years ago (I am guessing some are/were your customers since they live(d) in Sacramento) have always been pleased with their bikes. I couldn't imagine the 250, with more power, wouldn't be 'better' still, all other things being equal and relative (compared to the 200).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard