Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Hawk Crash Damage Report

Well it finally happened. I was riding home last night doing about 55mph and some guy shot out of a driveway right infront of me. I had very little time to react and laid the back down and lowsided. My bike missed his car by inches and slid off the side of the road. This wonderful person then proceeded to take off and leave.

The hawk did pretty good, nothing broke off. The clutch lever, and left footpeg bent pretty good(collapsed the frame rail ), but it looks like I can straighten them. The left side rear plastic and front fender has some scratches, and the turn signals do as well. The front wheel also got pretty out of alignment, but I can just loosen the forks and straighten it.

I am fine for the most part, I was wearing full gear except for my jeans (stupid I know. ) My left knee is pretty scraped up, and it feels like I pulled a muscle in my back. This goes without saying, but my gear saved me from much worse and more painful injuries. My gloves did their job extremely well and kept my palm from getting skinned.

A passerby stopped about 30 seconds after it happened and helped me and the bike off the road, after a few minutes of checking myself over, the hawk fired right up and I painfully rode the rest of the way home. Good job Hawk!

I can get pictures of the damage if anyone is interested.

On that note, anyone know of some good replacement grips? Mine arent doing so hot.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Well it finally happened. I was riding home last night doing about 55mph and some guy shot out of a driveway right infront of me. I had very little time to react and laid the back down and lowsided. My bike missed his car by inches and slid off the side of the road. This wonderful person then proceeded to take off and leave.

The hawk did pretty good, nothing broke off. The clutch lever, and left footpeg bent pretty good(collapsed the frame rail ), but it looks like I can straighten them. The left side rear plastic and front fender has some scratches, and the turn signals do as well. The front wheel also got pretty out of alignment, but I can just loosen the forks and straighten it.

I am fine for the most part, I was wearing full gear except for my jeans (stupid I know. ) My left knee is pretty scraped up, and it feels like I pulled a muscle in my back. This goes without saying, but my gear saved me from much worse and more painful injuries. My gloves did their job extremely well and kept my palm from getting skinned.

A passerby stopped about 30 seconds after it happened and helped me and the bike off the road, after a few minutes of checking myself over, the hawk fired right up and I painfully rode the rest of the way home. Good job Hawk!

I can get pictures of the damage if anyone is interested.

On that note, anyone know of some good replacement grips? Mine arent doing so hot.
Hope your feeling better fast. Pics would be nice.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

glad you're ok. thats the important part!

Old 07-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
This wonderful person then proceeded to take off and leave.
Happy to hear you are 'OK' other than the knee and back pain (Arnica Montana Gel/Cream will help heal the back a bit faster, it helps with the pain too I like Natra-Bio brand 'The Arnica Rub')

Karma will catch up with the ass hat that drove off after causing the accident... and don't worry... 'payback' is usually 3 fold when the big 'K' gets involved

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Heres some pics

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

even though he didn't actually hit you i think this till falls under a hit and run. probably should have filed police report.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #7

Idiot...did he back out or pull out into your path?

Great that you went in to red alert and was able to veer out of an imminent Collision. You may not have been able to report this if things went badly. I'd say you were lucky. Great to here about the gear. I do atgatt but also don't do the pants.

Close call brother..pat,pat,pat
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
even though he didn't actually hit you i think this till falls under a hit and run. probably should have filed police report.
I was looking into it, and it looks like it would still be considered my fault.

http://carinsurance.about.com/od/Car...her-Driver.htm

Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #9

Also, wanted to add , do you have auxiliary lights? I have floods, white running lights and led headlight. I am convinced they help. But I do understand that if he wasn't looking in the first place, nothing would have helped.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

Being run off road is very scary. It can also be one of the most frustrating types of claims because you feel helpless since it was not your fault. Again this is when insurance agents normally say “Do not swerve”. It can wind up worse in the long run verse actually coming in contact with the other vehicle.

No so great advice for the motorcyclist.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Idiot...did he back out or pull out into your path?

Great that you went in to red alert and was able to veer out of an imminent Collision. You may not have been able to report this if things went badly. I'd say you were lucky. Great to here about the gear. I do atgatt but also don't do the pants.

Close call brother..pat,pat,pat
I saw his headlights from far off, I saw him sitting there for awhile and I figured he'd seen me by then. I just continued on normally until I was just about to his driveway. He shot out turning right, and my bike slid off to the right of his car. He even put on his brakes after, I figured he was going to stop and help, nope. He floored it (heard his tires squeal) and took off.

Definitely looking at some of those kevlar reinforced ones. They arent too expensive and seem to be pretty good protection.
-------------------------
I dont, I really should though. It was pretty dark out, so I figured he wouldve seen my headlight but who knows..

I actually have some sitting on my desk right here, I should just install them.
--------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post

No so great advice for the motorcyclist.

Haha I know right? Let me just smash into him, fly over the car and break some bones instead.

While being able to break in time would be best, it seemed that lowsiding mightve been the best possible outcome in that situation.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
I saw his headlights from far off, I saw him sitting there for awhile and I figured he'd seen me by then. I just continued on normally until I was just about to his driveway. He shot out turning right, and my bike slid off to the right of his car. He even put on his brakes after, I figured he was going to stop and help, nope. He floored it (heard his tires squeal) and took off.
Well if all this happened at his driveway you know where he lives.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #13

So they did the old , don't pull out because there is oncoming traffic...wait, then pull out the last second because I'm tired of waiting , routine. I call this the indecisive driver. (The gap would have been greatest and there fore no risk if decision was made quickly )

Just like the timid souls who dont undstand the yield or merge concepts.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTech View Post
Well if all this happened at his driveway you know where he lives.
Exactly my thought's.

Glad your basically ok dude, sorry about your bike.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 AM   #15

You know where he lives, file a report with the police and see if you can get somewhere with it. He might even own up to it once confronted.