Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

MACMC Cheeseland Trail Ride

The Midwest Antique And Classic Motorcycle Club(MACMC), of which I am a member of dubious standing, hosted it's first ever sort of off road ride last Sunday, June 24. It was a 50 mile each way mile ride on the Cheeseland ATV Trail between Monroe, WI and Mineral Point, WI.

It was a blast, save for my last twenty five miles. Anyway, four of us met at KCs' Kabin, kind of a dive bar/breakfast joint/slots place on the corner of IL173 and Wilmot Rd., between Johnsburg, IL and Wilmot, WI. I grew up about five miles from the place, so I didn't need a map to get there.
After a quick cuppa for me, the four of us, Mike on his new Triumph, Pat on his late seventies Tiger 750, Kent on his older Tiger 750, and myself on the Ural, head out for the eighty mile ride to Monroe. We hung around for an extra 15 minutes for the two HD guys who bragged about their ability to ride their baggers on dirt, but they never showed. It was a perfect day for the ride on state, county, and town roads.

We met the two Tims in Monroe, where we gassed up and and hit the potties. Tim one rode a 'zuki DR350 and Tim two was on his Guzzi 1100. After a short BS session we headed off for the trail. When we got to the trail, I elected to bring up the rear because I'd be kicking up twin rooster tails of dust. The trail was rough. I had little problem with the Ural as it was in its' element, but Kents' Tiger struggled with the washboard surface and couldn't do more than 25mph, so there was more than one regroup stop both. I kind of liked those because the Ural only has two shock settings, rough and very rough.

Other than Kents' slow speed, which wasn't that big a deal because the trail speed is 30mph, we made it to Mineral Point for gas up, turn around, and a great burger. BTW, the Ural got an amazing 38mpg on that stretch.

We headed back, again with me taking up the rear. Only, this time I found mud puddles. I hid one pretty good and got a face full of muddy water. A steaming Ural engine also stinks.

After a quick pee stop back in Monroe, I split from the group after gassing up in Beloit. I was only twenty five miles from home when I had another flat. I was unhappy about the flat but I was extremely pissed at the dozens of riders that passed by and offered no help to an old fart that was obviously struggling to get the Ural on its' center stand. I ended up backing up over one of my gas cans to get the bike up where I could get the rear wheel swapped out, crushing it in the process. Normally a ten minute job, took me 2+ hours.
So, there is now a bottle jack in the trunk; two new tires, four Kenda rim strips, and a gas can on order.

Because of the rough conditions on the trail, no pics of it. Here's what I did get. https://www.flickr.com/photos/214992...57692611261950

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

what? no pictures of the flat? :o

Old 06-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
what? no pictures of the flat? :o

Too pissed. If you can wait until Friday night when I get back from Denver, I'll take a pic of the flat tire on the spare rack.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #4

Bummer about the gas can. Thanks for the pics and entertaining write-up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Too pissed. If you can wait until Friday night when I get back from Denver, I'll take a pic of the flat tire on the spare rack.
nah. save your energy for changing the next one.