Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #1

2019 TBR7 used - clutch slip and chain broke

Hello.

I bought a used 2019 TBR7 recently and have not used it much yet. I changed the oil, cleaned/checked the chain, did the usual maintenance things.

I have ridden it moderately in the woods maybe 4 times now since I bought it.

Today, after riding for about 20 min, I was riding up a small hill in 2nd and the bike lurched, stopped and turned off. I restarted the engine (no problem) put it in first started letting out the clutch and it tried to move and then stopped and turned off again.

Tried moving in 2nd instead, same problem.

I pushed it back to the house and just as I got there the chain broke (or at least came apart. I have not looked at it yet.

So - clutch problems... Recommended steps to troubleshoot or just replace the clutch pack?

Chain - recommended steps to troubleshoot or just replace the chain?

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:31 PM   #2

You say you have not looked at it yet but you have decided what the problem is.

Better go outside and check out the problem before you decide on a cure. You don't know if you need a new clutch. You don't even know if you need a new chain.

Best to check and see if you have bits of chain jammed inside the sprocket cover stopping your engine rotation.

Sounds like a classic off road "stick between the chain and sprocket, twisted off the master link".

You might only need a new master link, which you can buy at any bike shop for a couple of dollars. You can also get a new chain without leaving town or shopping Amazon.

When you put it back together go to Youtube and watch a video on proper chain adjustment procedures. If you get it cocked up sideways it can be bad.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:59 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Krat.

No, I haven't decided what the problem is yet, that is why I was asking. Since the chain and clutch are the two possible problems I was asking the more experienced crowd what was the best method to address the symptoms.

From what I have been reading and watching, the clutch pack is very simple to assess and replace (if needed). I also found out clutch play could be an issue as well.

And it could be a stick in a sprocket, although I did not see one at first glance.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:23 AM   #4

When these clutches start to warm up, you get noticably less play in the clutch lever. If the clutch wasn't properly adjusted before, and then got hot, I could easily see it slipping. It's also possible that the P.O. used automotive oil, which uses friction modifiers and will tend to ruin clutches. I'd readjust the clutch properly and see what it does.

As for the chain, they're inexpensive enough that I would just replace it, particularly if it was the original, no name chain. I'd also give the sprockets a good hard look before reusing them.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:54 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply and insight Franque. I will hopefully have some time to look at it before the weekend get more details. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #6

I agree that it's probably the chain stuck in the sprocket. There's probably nothing wrong with the clutch. When I bought my Bashan a month ago, it had been mistreated and lacked maintenance. I replaced the chain almost immediately because it was so bad, and I replaced the oil immediately. It didn't shift right. The oil I drained out was black, and it contained almost 2 quarts. When I replaced the oil with synthetic, the shifting got smooth as silk. I'm having to kick start because the battery relay is no good, new one should be here in a couple days. I had to adjust the valves before it would kick start. Just some of the used and abused bike problems.

2016 Magician 250

Old 12-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

You might take a good look at the rear sprocket studs. There are many a tale here of them breaking and making people think it's a clutch issue.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Tags
chain, clutch, drive gear, tbr7, transmission