Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #1

Welcome!

I'd like to get a hold of an SL100; may we see a pic?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

Also, props for doing so much research on the forum. There is a ton of good info here.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #3

Thanks weld. I'll snap a pic of what the sl100 looks like in its current state hopefully tomorrow. It's in my back garage and I have to shovel my way out to it. She's rough since she has been sitting in a field in northern Minnesota for about 7 years but I've gotten most of the rust cleared away. I was originally trying to source a clone motor to rebuild it when I stumbled upon this forum. I figured if something catastrophic happens to the bike I buy I could always fit the motor in there and finish rebuilding it.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Take your time on the pic.

Fitting a clone motor into the SL100 might be a bit of a chore, but it's workable. The clone motors are based on the 50 and 70 frame of architecture (FOA), whereas the sl100 could be a different mounting pattern.

This is one source for adapters: http://www.dratv.com/adchtob.html

There is a ton of good info on horizontal clone swaps here: http://www.dratv.com/eninkico.html

Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Oops, scratch that.

I just realized the SL100 is a vertical motor. I'd be willing to bet that a vertical clone all the way up to 230cc would bolt in. Yee haw!

Old 02-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Oops, scratch that.

I just realized the SL100 is a vertical motor. I'd be willing to bet that a vertical clone all the way up to 230cc would bolt in. Yee haw!
Correct. The CT 70s and 90s have the GY6 horizontal engine that you see in scooters as well.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackay318 View Post
Correct. The CT 70s and 90s have the GY6 horizontal engine that you see in scooters as well.
I know that's not right. The GY6 has a stator mounted on the right (vs. the left), it has a dry clutch (vs. oil bath) and it has a long side case to accommodate the CVT. The CT horizontal engines have a conventional clutch and transmission, with a countershaft sprocket.

Can you tell that I have both horizontal engines and GY6's?

No offence intended, just sayin'.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #8

You are right, major brain fart there. I don't really know what I was thinking. I'll grab pictures of it tomorrow when I get off work.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:36 AM   #9

It's all good. It closely follows my brain fart, when I thought the SL100 had a horizontal engine.

I'm excited that the SL has a vertical engine, because a vertical clone (like a CG200) is so easy to find, and parts are peanuts. That thing would haul with a 200cc engine!