Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 11:27 AM   #1

Advice for a Newbie?

Hi All,

I've stumbled upon this community and I hope some of you may be able to point me in the right direction. I'm very new to the Chinese bike world and am looking for suggestions. There are so many options that I am getting lost in the sauce! Haha

I'm looking for a street legal dual sport that can be registered and tagged in NJ. I'm approx 6' and about 250lbs. I'm just looking for something that can be taken on the street and maybe highway (if capable) and occasionally ride down some trails. Don't need anything that can withstand serious woods riding and jumping.

Would prefer a bike that has kick & E-Start. Would also 'prefer' a true 250cc.

I see so many options I'm not sure what's better than other brands.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2024, 12:00 PM   #2

Templar line has the true 250, the M and base come with kick start, 5-speed, and the M also comes with the factory skid plate.

I was looking at a Titan as well but I was swayed to the Templar X (6spd) or M (5spd) due to the engine size.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 03-13-2024, 01:25 PM   #3

Much as I like my Templar X I have to admit it's very much more an enduro and probably not the best choice for mostly street and a little relaxed trail riding. Something that leans more "dual sport" is likely a more sensible choice. For both of us. But I REALLY like my X and am not trading it.

In the registration thread a "Mikd" said he couldn't get a Templar registered in NJ as the manufacturer is not in their database. It wasn't in the South Carolina database either but after a few tries (four) I finally got the right person who simply added it. It was a breeze after that. I don't know how hard Mikd tried but you kind of don't want something you can't tag.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcook View Post
Hi All,

I've stumbled upon this community and I hope some of you may be able to point me in the right direction. I'm very new to the Chinese bike world and am looking for suggestions. There are so many options that I am getting lost in the sauce! Haha

I'm looking for a street legal dual sport that can be registered and tagged in NJ. I'm approx 6' and about 250lbs. I'm just looking for something that can be taken on the street and maybe highway (if capable) and occasionally ride down some trails. Don't need anything that can withstand serious woods riding and jumping.

Would prefer a bike that has kick & E-Start. Would also 'prefer' a true 250cc.

I see so many options I'm not sure what's better than other brands.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at venommotorsportsusa.com and look for the Lifan KPX 250. Both the bike and company are very good and it sounds like what you’re looking for.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Tags
advice, help!, suggestions