Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

After a thorough inspection and cleaning I rode the old gal 100 miles today. I'm sure that's the most it has been ridden in years, and I know I doubled the distance it's gone in the past year.

55 MPH seems to be it's sweet spot. 60 is OK. Over that it gets too uncomfortable, both for myself and the old engine. 70 seems like its top speed. I didn't see the need to push it.

Nothing broke or fell off, but it does leak oil from at least two sites on the bottom/side of the engine. From what I know of these old bikes, I'll consider it normal.

I have the starting drill more or less down now, but a large painful bruise on my inner right thigh from the oil tank cap to show for my prior starting attempts.

It runs a lot like a strong 200cc CB. Except it vibrates much more, rides terribly, and neither turns nor stops. But it's cool. 8)

The horn wire broke from vibration, and the right rear footpeg almost fell off from vibration, as did the left handgrip. It's almost like having a Chinabike! :P

Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #17

FD,
How exciting that you had her out for a ride.
Maybe the PO has a set of Wentworth tools?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #18

I made a mistake it is a '68 not a '69 as I'd thought. I'll post the VIN when I get a chance.

I am the fourth owner. The first guy is now in his eighties. He passed it on to his son some years ago. He is in his sixties now and sold it to my friend Jerry two years ago who recently stopped riding and passed the BSA on the me. I even have the original sales receipt and owners manual and maintenence records going back for decades.

I repaired the broken horn wire and loose footpeg. CB ownership has prepared me well for Britbike ownership! :P

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #19

Glad to hear you got out on it already

Quote:
It runs a lot like a strong 200cc CB. Except it vibrates much more, rides terribly, and neither turns nor stops. But it's cool.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...I repaired the broken horn wire and loose footpeg. CB ownership has prepared me well for Britbike ownership! :P
Indeed! I glad you got to take a nice long ride, Doc.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #21

I discovered part of the reason for the bikes ill handling behavior. The front tire is really a rear (trials) tire and much too wide. Stock is 3.5X19 and this is a 4.0X19. Replacement tires should help a lot. Also changing the bars to standard will help too. :wink:

Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #22

Quote:
I discovered part of the reason for the bikes ill handling behavior. The front tire is really a rear (trials) tire and much too wide. Stock is 3.5X19 and this is a 4.0X19. Replacement tires should help a lot. Also changing the bars to standard will help too. :wink:
Indeed, if the front tire is too wide, the bike handles somewhat like pushing a snowplow. I'm sure the bike will also handle better without the "ape hanger" handlebars.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #23

New classic tread pattern correctly sized Dunlop tires and tubes are on the way from Rocky Mountain ATV. New correct bars are on the way from eBay. Correct switchgear and period correct mirrors are on the way from Bike Bandit.

Hope this is it for a while!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Hope this is it for a while!
Not a chance, Doc! It's old and British!
That is a very sweet Victim. Very cool. Yep...lousy brakes, didn't handle worth a darn, heavy and rubber frames....but very cool indeed. They really exemplify the true 'thumper' sound too.
I love the right side shift. My Ironhead was like that. I keeps people from asking if they can take it for a ride! 8)
One possible upgrade to think about.... A buddy of mine has a cherry 1970 Triumph Tiger. First thing he did was replace the points and condensor and put in an electronic ignition conversion kit. No more worries...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #25

Here's a sound clip of a similar machine idling, or 'ticking over' as the Brits say.... :wink:

I downshifted the Gold Wing this AM trying to use the rear brake in the parking lot. This is gonna take some adjusting!

The Beezer sure is fun, and I get a lot of waves and thumbs up, generally as people are passing me... :roll:

Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #26

This bike must have have already been warm. One kick with no tickling of the carb would be unusual. :P

Old 06-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #27

One possible upgrade to think about.... A buddy of mine has a cherry 1970 Triumph Tiger. First thing he did was replace the points and condensor and put in an electronic ignition conversion kit. No more worries.

Copy that. Right now the bike is well tuned with new points. When they are worn (tomorrow? :roll: ) I'll upgrade to electronic ignition. When the Amal (a fresh rebuild, by the way) is worn out I'd look into a Mikuni conversion. When my right leg is worn out I'll look into a Japanese bike with an electric starter!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #28

I vote for keeping the points and the Amal carburetor. Neither should require a lot of maintenance.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #29

Both are new/rebuilt.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #30

Quote:
One possible upgrade to think about.... A buddy of mine has a cherry 1970 Triumph Tiger. First thing he did was replace the points and condensor and put in an electronic ignition conversion kit. No more worries.

Copy that. Right now the bike is well tuned with new points. When they are worn (tomorrow? :roll: ) I'll upgrade to electronic ignition. When the Amal (a fresh rebuild, by the way) is worn out I'd look into a Mikuni conversion. When my right leg is worn out I'll look into a Japanese bike with an electric starter!
After a hundred mile ride those points could do with "setting", and the Amal shipped from the factory NAWO (new all worn out). Contrary to popular *thought*, your right leg will not wear out, but will develop curious "lumps and bumps" (specifically just above your right heel).

The electronic ignition conversion will do away with the points, but most importantly it does away with the mechanical ignition advancer, which is likely sticking.
If your ignition advancer isn't "sticking" it: 1) is about to, and 2) is the only one on the planet that isn't.
Point sets, at least the currently available for purchase point sets, vary widely in quality. It is most important that the points cam be lubed as I have seen the plastic/phenolic rubbing blocks wear out in as little as 500 miles.

Changing out the Amal for a carburetor that "works" will make a "night and day" difference to that, or any, English bike. Doesn't have to be a Mikuni, could be a vacuum Keihin (1/2 of a pair on an old Honda twin), virtually ANYTHING you have hanging about will "work" better.

But you know, at the end of the day, it's your bike. I suggest these things, as things to keep your eyes peeled for (for purchase at the "right price"), to improve your "British experience". The replaced parts can be carefully stored in a box/container to be passed on to the next owner. These changes are not one way, you, or someone else, can easily go back to original.

Now, for that gearshift on the right side: the right side is the "proper" place for a gear shift to "live", maybe you can get a conversion for your Honda to put that right?