Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Thumbs Up GREETINGS from Illinois Purchased TaoTao Hellcat 125

Hello Everyone Im excited to join the community here. I purchased a taotao hellcat 125 Shipping says its going to be here in two days. Other than Tightening up all the bolts changing the oil taking the fender off and Welding up and attaching a 12 bar on, is there anything else that needs attention Immediately? I plan on turning this bike into a stunt bike. slowly but surely. I have replacement sprockets and Sliders for the handlebars and axles in the mail on the way.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

I just got mine and I think a few things have changed on them, I thought they came with a 14 tooth front sprocket, mine came with a 16 tooth, just some FYI. You'll want to change out the carb with one you can service and adjust air/fuel mixture... before you put gas in it, check the fuel lines to make sure their all connected, mine wasn't connected to the carb (easy fix), my choke cable wasn't connected, my bolts UNDER the handle bars where loose, the ones the hold the bar brackets in with the rubber grommets, everything else was just snugging up some bolts, using loctite on the major bolts, I used blue loctite on wheel bolts and steering bolts, and red on motor mounts and stuff I don't plan on ever taking off any time soon... I ran mine for a little while and changed out the oil, I hear you can put on a 100 miles then change it, but I wanted the cheap stuff out quick, I'll still change it again after 100 miles just because its a new motor, but seeing it only holds under a QT of oil its cheap enough to just do it. my horn is faulty, loose connection on the inside, I ordered a better after market one for a few bucks. Wires are just stuffed behind the headlight, my head light didn't come mounted, and I think putting that on was the hardest part because you have to push the wires around to make room for the head light. Other than going thru it all, so far seems like a good cheap bike... I knew it wasn't going to be Grom quality at a 1/3rd of the price, but still a good tool around bike. Hope some of this helps. Welcome to the forums

Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcstriker29 View Post
I just got mine and I think a few things have changed on them, I thought they came with a 14 tooth front sprocket, mine came with a 16 tooth, just some FYI.

I ran mine for a little while and changed out the oil, I hear you can put on a 100 miles then change it, but I wanted the cheap stuff out quick, I'll still change it again after 100 miles just because its a new motor, but seeing it only holds under a QT of oil its cheap enough to just do it.

my horn is faulty, loose connection on the inside, I ordered a better after market one for a few bucks.

I knew it wasn't going to be Grom quality at a 1/3rd of the price, but still a good tool around bike. Hope some of this helps. Welcome to the forums
That is interesting to note about the front sprocket I purchased a 17 tooth and a 13 tooth for either top end or for stunting but if it does turn out to be a 16 i will try it out.
I Plan on changing the oil as soon as i get the bike and after about 50 to 75 miles change it and while the oil is out might as well crack the cover off it and put in HD Clutch springs
What kind of horn are you planning on using?
I as well am not expecting a Grom quality bike but i plan on changing alot of the bike slowly but surely so it seems to be a perfect cheap candidate as a bike to modify to your wishes thats the way i see it.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND FAST REPONSE!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMiniKatt View Post
That is interesting to note about the front sprocket I purchased a 17 tooth and a 13 tooth for either top end or for stunting but if it does turn out to be a 16 i will try it out.
I Plan on changing the oil as soon as i get the bike and after about 50 to 75 miles change it and while the oil is out might as well crack the cover off it and put in HD Clutch springs
What kind of horn are you planning on using?
I as well am not expecting a Grom quality bike but i plan on changing alot of the bike slowly but surely so it seems to be a perfect cheap candidate as a bike to modify to your wishes thats the way i see it.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND FAST REPONSE!
Okay, lol I've been busy with add-on's but so far what I've done:

I got rid of the stock "scooter" mirrors, I was going to go with end bar mirrors, but found some descent mirrors with the LED turn signals in them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got rid of the stock carb which didn't let the bike idle well once warmed up, but it came with a 25mm carb HOWEVER, the air tube from motor to carb was still only 19mm so I replaced it all with a 26mm Carb and air tube, got rid of the air box and the Carb I got came with a air filter... Sounds a LOT better and runs a LOT better. if you do swap out the carb, I had to use my stock throttle spring in the top of the carb, but the new needle, and top cap, otherwise throttle cable was too short or too long to even adjust, but works great with that setup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ditched the rear fender, and bought a $69 (Amazon) rear fender eliminator bracket that came with smaller turn signals and will use your stock plate light, looks nicer. But the kit uses bigger bolts than the stock bracket, the bolts on the shipping frame fit perfect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the 17mm sprocket in now, but I just got a 18mm sprocket I'm going to try out...

I did add a horn, sounds a little bit more like a small car, but better than stock, doesn't play music or anything fancy lol
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll try to get some pics up. its a busy time for me at work for the next few weeks and weather will be crappy, but soon I plan on posting some YouTube videos of the mods, how to's and the differences they've made... I posted links to the few things I got at amazon, hope the links work...

Old 03-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EDF72940-075B-4CD7-9A6F-8B5FA61CCA62.jpg (20.2 KB, 1679 views)
File Type: jpg 43DFD434-5F63-4CF3-83A8-F95DE1FAD8C4.jpg (20.6 KB, 1780 views)

Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

So, where in Illannoy are you located? And welcome.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #7

Mine came with a 16t front

Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Welcome aboard....from another inmate of Hellinois.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Tags
125, hellcat, stunt, taotao, vader