Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

New member from Chicagoland...

Hello All!

Ok, I've been lurking here for a month or so, and am getting ready to join the ranks of all you ChinaRiders--ie, no bike yet, but planning on making the purchase soon.

I know the following would probably belong under another forum topic, but I figured I'd include it here for a quick opinion gathering.

I have an authorized American Lifan dealer fairly close by (17 miles) but wanted to get some opinions about other brands too before making my purchase. I went by the dealership and spoke with the owner, and he didn't actually have any of the AL dual-sports in stock, though he did have an '06 Hi-Bird.

What I want to know, are peoples' opinions on the Hi-Bird/Komoto 250cc enduros that are available, compared to the seemingly "standard-fare" 200cc china-bike enduros?

I've been considering ordering one of the hibird/komotos from vbikes.us simply because of the larger 250cc engine, and the reviews people on here have given vbikes. I don't mind working on the bike myself, and don't foresee any issues with assembly--just looking for a few opinions before I make my final decision.

Any input either way will be appreciated.

Anyway, this is a great forum you guys have made here (Good on ya' Frostbite!) and I'm looking forward to joining in.

Thanks,

Mike (Attackfish)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Hello and welcome,
I can't compare the different brands because I only have experience with the one. It's the Hi-Bird Ricardo, same features as the Hi-Bird Komoto ( disc back brake, inverted forks and Knobbie tires). I've had it for about 2 months and I am impressed with it.I just took delivery of another Hi-Bird enduro (not the Komoto) from Vbike today, it's still in the box. I'll just have to let you know on that one...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8088

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #3

Welcome, from another Chicagoan (born there in '69, moved out west to Calif in '79, currently in AZ, but family/family friends still there)

Having a dealer somewhat nearby will help you as far as parts/repairs, although there is a wealth of knowledge to do it yourself just from these threads.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #4

Hello and welcome.I am one of the HI-Bird 250 owners .I just turned over my first 100 miles today and have had zero issues.I havn't had to mess with the carb at all except to turn the idle down a little.
I can not compair it to the others do to never owning any other chinese bike.I can tell you that one reason I went for the 250cc is that I am 6' 250lbs.I would definatly purchase again.I have delt with Tim a few times at vbike not only on the HI-BIRD but on ATV's as well and he has been excellent to deal with.Best wishes to you!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #5

Welcome

Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #6

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.

Culcune, I was born in Mesa, AZ, and moved around a bit before ending up out here in Chicago. Most of my extended family is still in AZ. Yuma is pretty out of the way--I graduated high school in Miami, AZ, and had thought it was out of the way. :o

I suppose some of my leaning toward the 250cc bikes is due to the fact that I'm not a small man (6'2" and currently 275lbs, though this is dropping due to the ministrations of my wife--eating salad everyday), and the little extra oomph the 250cc motor provides would come in useful.

~Mike (AttackFish)

Old 04-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

Usually, its the other way around (go west from the east, )

The 250cc seems to be the "Ebay standard" of Chinabikes now. (Not a putdown, but when the Yahoo Groups started a couple of years ago, which evolved into chinariders--thanks frostbite--most of us were ordering our bikes online and often from Ebay)

The standard ebay bike was 200cc (which was just up in size from the 125/150 which populated ebay about 3 to 4 years ago). Now that Vbike and Anamcycle have low-cost 250cc Hi-bird/Komotos on ebay and directly, this is the way to go.

Like I said, since you have a dealer, and parts are more available online, too, plus the fact that the Hi-bird is proving itself, you should really have little to worry about.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #8

AttackFish,My wife has me on the same diet.Little does she know that when I take my bike out for a ride Micky D's is my first stop!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to panamarandy
welcome..........

Old 04-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #10

welcome attackfish,
hope you like it here,
DD

Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kczukiman
AttackFish,My wife has me on the same diet.Little does she know that when I take my bike out for a ride Micky D's is my first stop!
8O It's a salad-eaters conspiracy!

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys.

Looking forward to more board participation once I make my decision and get the bike.

~Mike (AttackFish)

Old 04-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #12

Hi Mike/AttackFish

Welcome to ChinaRiders!!!
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net