Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #1

NJ Update

Well the forth time was not the charm here! Shot down again
This time they asked why my MCO was not notarized(NOT a requirement in NJ) And told me Viva is not a NJ recognized Manufacturer. And also they have my VIN on a stop list so any visit to a NJDMV will reult in a denial of Title

These people are Dopes,Sorry but it is true.Unfortunatly they hold the trump card here. So tommorow I will call the capital in Trenton to find out why they do not recognize Viva( the feds,NHTSA does they have a W.M.I.
world manufacturers identifier)

Failing at this I will attempt to title my Viva in nearby Pa.

The Saga continues
If any of my China Rider Brothers and Sisters have any sugestions or hints they'd be much appreciated

The thing is evertime I went there it was a different story as to what was needed/required I am hoping the main office can clarify but would not be surprised if they can't/won't

I am also going to check with the A.M.A. (I am a member) to see if they can help

My advice move to W.V.
Don't move to New Jersey,where the only thing that moves fast in Govt is the Governer on the Highway(he crashed at 91MPH,no seat belt got all messed up Now they have seat belt compliance checkpoint all over cloging up rush hour,do as I say Comrade not as I do )

Rant Off
Joe V

Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Joe, for mine they entered Tomoto Industries as the manufacturer (they're the importer, anyway). I surrendered my mso (and apparently had a blonde moment as far as making a copy), so I don't remember exactly what it said. Here is Tomoto's info...maybe they can help you, who knows!
http://go4worldbusiness.com/cosrc/vi...28494&objtype=

Old 05-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #3

Thanks Paulie

Mine says Tomoto as well ,and this is where it gets confusing as Jialing is manf. Viva is the brand ,Jialing does not appear on the MSO. But Viva is registered with the NHTSA and has a World Manufacturer Identifier(WMI) which should be enough for NJDMV. Tommorow will tell

BTW It is interesting that EVERY office of the NJDMV has a FULL TIME Police Officer on duty during all buisness hours.

I'm guessing that 's because they know a good number of folks could be driven to angry outbursts by the service rendered therin

I actually told the wife jokingly that I would probably end up being arrested trying to title this bike 'cause I'm getting so frustrated!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #4

A local DS club member recently plated an XR650R for the road. The secret to his success? He went by the strict letter of the Law. In New Brunwsick our Motor Vehicle Act identifies the requirements of a street legal motorcycle. If you can prove the machine meets the definitions outlined in the act you're golden. The truth is most people (including DMV employees) don't know what the law actually says and they base most of their beliefs on conjecture and rumour. I had dealers and other riders telling me you couldn't plate off-road machines. This has been proven wrong since I know it has been done in New Brunswick.

I suggest the same for NJ. If you get a copy of the law(s) regarding motorcycle road-worthiness and your bike meets or exceeds them (and can prove it) I would suggest that the DMV would have no choice but to title it.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #5

Thanks Frosty,

I spent >3 hrs today being footballed around by the experts at NJDMV with the end result being:

New Jersey does not "approve" Viva motors (even though NHTSA does)
therfore I must go through a maze of contortions to even have hope of reg. the Viva

They require: Three seperate labels FMVSS, EPA emissions,EPA noise levels. At the moment the Viva has only the EPA emissions label and Viva Motors is on holiday till Tuesday

The noise label tickles me here's why
The open pipe brigades around here are the status quo,out of every cruiser I see 4 out of 5 have open drag pipes and they are worried about my little 200cc sewing machine? My Suzuki with factory pipes is 2 to 3 times as loud as the Viva

The AMA did actually give me the name of someone at the DMV who may be able to help but first I gotta get the needed labels so they can't knock me down for that,but that will have to wait for next week when Viva is open again

well Happy memorial day to the Yanks and the rest of y'all have a great weekend ride and BE SAFE!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
I'm going to start a business titling bikes in MT and transferring them to other states! I feel for you guys...it's ridiculously easy to license anything here. I'm sure THAT will change within the next 5 years.

I suppose you'd still have to pass all the emission req's anyway.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
If you get a copy of the law(s) regarding motorcycle road-worthiness and your bike meets or exceeds them (and can prove it) I would suggest that the DMV would have no choice but to title it.
That's pretty much how they do it in Arizona, too. However, I hit a couple of snags as they didn't want to recognize my MCO as being authentic. The only thing that I would have had to do if I proceeded through the state MVD would be get title insurance, and bring the bike in for inspection; however I ended up going to a state authorized off-site place (thanks to member 'eddyfx' who told me about the place located in Phoenix) who were more than happy to give me my title, registration, a plate, and a sticker for $10 over what the state charges.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
I hit a couple of snags as they didn't want to recognize my MCO as being authentic.
If that's the case in AZ, are custom-built bikes not streetable? Here, an MCO isn't required.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #9

No, Frostbite (hard to say your nickname with a straight face while its about 98 degrees F here today), you would need to get a title bond, and an inspection at the MVD to prove it is road legal (lights, mirrors, etc). That is how quads get street plated here, too. However, I think if you did not have any kind of MCO, you could not go to the off-site places. The place I went to (Cash N' More 2 --thanks Eddyfx) just worked off the MCO from Jetmoto and the bill of sale. For custom choppers and quads, I think an actual MVD office with (grumpy) inspection officers and (grumpier) clerks, complete with the requisite 2 + hour wait, after a title bond place would be the way to plate one of those.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard