Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #1

200 Beast + Mikuni carb= Joy!

Hi guys! Mikuni carb got delivered today... Bolted that sucker up and what a difference!! Out of the box it runs 100 times better than the stocker did! Messed with all the settings endlessly on the stocker and couldn't get it to stop flooding... Must have been the float setting or the needle. Mik works great though, no more flooding and no more stalling. Still have to fine tune it, but at least I have a good running starting point... Sooo nice not to have the stall/bog everytime I try to ride it . Okay, I'm doing gushing, we will now return you to your regularly scheduled forums...

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Awesome news! I'm getting ready to bolt on my Mikuni, and I'm looking forward to gains. The truth is that my stock carb runs pretty good, but I know there's more in there. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Makes a huge difference! Even the quality of the piece is apparent when comparing them side by side. I didn't bother with the handlebar choke cause I like the choke on the carb better. I think you would have to bolt the cable holder bracket from the stocker onto the Mik to use it anyway. I think for the price it is a worthwhile mod... Now, I just need one of them Uni filters! Hope you get good results with your carb switch .

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

That's funny; I was hoping to report a measurable speed increase with the Mikuni, but the existing carb is good for 65 km/h (40 mph) and that's fast enough!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's funny; I was hoping to report a measurable speed increase with the Mikuni, but the existing carb is good for 65 km/h (40 mph) and that's fast enough!
You need flat ground not narrow paths with 1ft drops in them.

Another way to be quantitive with your upgrades is to modify yours, and then race me on mine. We seemed to be similar powerwise, other than your carb is better than mine, and I'm a bit heavier.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

Lol, never got a chance to wind mine up so I don't know if there is a difference in top speed, just happy the "throw me over the bars" bog is gone . Idle seems a lot smoother now too, even though it still needs tweaked. They should put this carb on from factory.

Regards,
Stew

P.S. Now, if I can just get it to not handle like a drunken sailor on stilts...

Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #7

Better front shocks help a lot Stew.

I was thinking more about quantifying speed, and ther's no reason I couldn't go flat out in a lower gear. Let's say I determined that the quad as it sits will do 40 km/h in third; all I'd need to do is repeat the test after an upgrade.

Ok T, grab your helmet. We have testing to do.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Makes a huge difference! Even the quality of the piece is apparent when comparing them side by side. I didn't bother with the handlebar choke cause I like the choke on the carb better. I think you would have to bolt the cable holder bracket from the stocker onto the Mik to use it anyway. I think for the price it is a worthwhile mod... Now, I just need one of them Uni filters! Hope you get good results with your carb switch .

Regards,
Stew
Stew, its cake. I did it with the Mikuni on the bike because I had read somewhere it "couldnt be hooked up" but then I started looking at it and it looked about the same. I bet it took less than 10 minutes, you can get a stubby phillips right in there.
That being said, if you like it the way it is, heck, leave it

Both Weldangrinds and my Mikuni came with the needle on the lowest (richest) setting. With the exisiting 2 large holes in the air box, the carb made the bike run rich.

This took me a little time to figure out. After drilling another 8 holes (that FORCED me to adjust fuel screw) it runs way better and the plug is ALMOST tan...not quite, but almost. Problem is I'm at the stage where its so good i dont want to mess with it again until I get a proper filter.

Anyways, i think I ended up 1/14 turns out, but as we all know every one of these things is different. Our Mikunis have the screw at the "front" of the carb which makes it a fuel adjustment screw as opposed to having a screw at the back of the carb which would make it an air screw.

I have found some manuals that are close to our carb, but maybe they make so many different types the manuals are purposely generic.

It IS a neat upgrade though!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #9

Quote:

I was thinking more about quantifying speed, and ther's no reason I couldn't go flat out in a lower gear. Let's say I determined that the quad as it sits will do 40 km/h in third; all I'd need to do is repeat the test after an upgrade.

That could hurt the bike if you have the no rev limiter CDI (and believe in it). Even without it, just winding the snot out of it one gear...why risk it?

What do you think of timing it instead? Maybe an 1/8 mile, or even just "from here to the stop sign" type of thing? Most every cell phone made these days has a stop watch function and you & Stew could work in tandem, one on the bike, one on the watch, thens vice-versa

Just a thought

Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:

Did you hit fourth gear in yours?? I think I only was in third on that stretch you hit 65/km. Even when I risked life and limb driving through that dark patch with the leaves I was only in third gear. Fourth seemed equal to suicide with those shocks on mine.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #11

Quote:

Hey D,

Wouldn't staying in the same gear still top you at 40 km/hr? Does the gear not determine how fast it'll go regardless? ..or would the fact more HP per RPM push that level higher?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #12

Much better idea Pete. I'm glad I started spitballin' the plan; eventually a better one came to the surface. 8)

BTW, I'm not inclined to try a different CDI. I'm satisfied with the stocker and my other upgrades.

Anybody else try an NGK wire? The Crappy Tire part number is 026-2714-0, and it's cheap there. You get the entire wire with plug boot, and it will replace the stocker all the way back to the coil. IIRC, mine was a 1000 ohm improvement. BTW, it will fit on any single cylinder with a stud type plug, including dual sport bikes.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Anybody else try an NGK wire? The Crappy Tire part number is 026-2714-0, and it's cheap there. You get the entire wire with plug boot, and it will replace the stocker all the way back to the coil. IIRC, mine was a 1000 ohm improvement. BTW, it will fit on any single cylinder with a stud type plug, including dual sport bikes.
Ahhhh...i was wondering about this..I have an NGK with boot and bare coil end but the OD looks ( I say LOOKS) bigger than the boot that holds the stocker in the coil. The stocker is such a tight fit it almost looks molded on but i dont think it is, I could move it with my fingernail.

So..you got that (8mm?? maybe??) NGK in the stock coil boot? Just pull it out?

Any tips? i just havent got around to prying mine apart yet but would love to know what awaits when I do.

Oh, from my limited testing I expect this thing will do 50mph plus. I'm sure of it. No more comment until i have a GPS pic to prove it.

EDIT; Every computer i use has a trashed keyboard...sigh.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
That could hurt the bike if you have the no rev limiter CDI (and believe in it). Even without it, just winding the snot out of it one gear...why risk it?

What do you think of timing it instead? Maybe an 1/8 mile, or even just "from here to the stop sign" type of thing? Most every cell phone made these days has a stop watch function and you & Stew could work in tandem, one on the bike, one on the watch, thens vice-versa

Just a thought
I think time would be challenging. If you think about drag cars over a 1/4 mile, a second improvement takes some pretty good HP increases, if you reduce the length of the 'test strip', how much time improvement will you see? Then you need to factor in driver error. With no tachometer, tough to know if your shift points are similar etc..

I think the answer W&G is an accerormeter like we discussed. Cool toy and the high end ones would give you 1/8, 0-60 times etc.. Not exactly a cheap way to do it.

The 'fire road' at Nickelmine would be a good dragstrip if not for the nasty bumps.

It's making me wish I still had access to Pemberton and the runway!! ..but I digress.

Sorry for the damn post flood and hijacking this thread on carbs, I'm feeling wordy tonight.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #15

Whoa. 8O 50mph is too much for me on a Beast on a dirt road.

The coil wire simply unscrews from the coil. Peel back the boot where the wire meets the coil, and unscrew the wire. There is a stud inside the coil that the wire screws on to; no tools are needed. The 026-2714-0 fits great.