Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Bleeding Brakes

So this is my first bike but is the brake bleeding procedure the same as for a car? I worked all the fluid out, put more fluid in with the bleed valve open and I get brake fluid coming out of the bottom but I do not get any resistance in the lever. I've bleed cars hundreds of times and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Today was a good day for a ride and I missed out :(

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #2

i bleed mine like a car and worked fine.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

must have a bad seal somewhere

Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Thing is is that it worked fine today. I rode it this morning, stopped at home to change the fluid since I figure it hasn't been changed in four years, and now cant get any feel in the level.

It's an 08 Qlink Xp200. Could the master cylinder have gone bad? I think that there is air in the line, it's what seems most likely to me. I took the level off the handlebars because I figured the kink in the line going above the reservoir can't help with getting the air out. Any suggestions?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

The problem is the the caliper position. It's the same problem that old Hondas had, and this caliper is a close copy.

Just remove the caliper from the fork, and make sure that the bleeder is the highest point. It helps to insert something in between the pads, like a spare rotor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the highest point. The bleed valve is what I have the wrench around. Don't you want the reservoir above the caliper since it has to bleed out the valve?

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

I apologize for not being more clear. What I mean is that the bleeder is not currently the highest point on the caliper, because the caliper is mounted down low. By simply unbolting the caliper from the fork, you can rotate it so that the bleeder is at the highest point. Make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #8

Yeah makes sense now. So basically have the bleed valve point straight up is what you're saying?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #9

Correct. if it isn't pointed straight up, there is space for a small amount of air to be trapped above the bleeder. Midlifekrisis had the same experience last week.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to attempt this after work tomorrow, this procedure seems like it should've been a cake walk. I don't want to have to throw it in the back of a truck to take it to a shop just to get the brakes bled

Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #11

If you still struggle with it, perhaps a vacuum bleeder (like the one from Harbor Freight) would help.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #12

It's not something I'm particularly proud of, but I had cases of completely detaching the caliper to hang it above the pump in order to do proper bleeding.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 AM   #13

I'm sure Weldangrind has offered you the solution to your problem. However, you might still enjoy reading the following thread, and watching the videos linked therein.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=9814

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #14

Sorry if I missed it Spud, but where's the link?

And I borrowed a manual bleeder from the technicians at work and I think I have it sorted. By manual bleeder I mean the kind with a hand pump, I don't know if that is what it's called but thats what the techs kept calling it.

Anyways, I bleed it out and have some brakes now! However the entire time it seemed like air continued to come out of the hose. The hose was tightened correctly as I couldn't hear any suction noise around any of the fittings. Should the brake fluid be coming out in a clear stream through the plastic tubing with no gaps? The tubing was large so I chalked it up to the nipple not being able to supply enough brake fluid.

I took the bike out for a ride and the brake lever seems to have more progression than before. Before it seemed like the brakes were either on or off and now there is progression to the levers pull. However the techs also told me that sponginess means there is still air in the lines. I'm not sure which case I have, can anyone tell me the difference?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #15

With a vacuum bleeder the appearance of air in the line is inevitable. It's just an illusion caused by cavitation from the suction.