Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #46

That begs the question Spud: at $8.50 per pair, can you buy another set in black?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
The poll wont let me vote, but I definitely like the silver the best, evens the fork with the swingarm... Plus, as you mentioned, the fork guards are on the front line with the sagebrush and branches so you wouldn't have to repaint them a couple of times a year . Again, remarkable how your Zong seems at home in any surrounding. The ultimate adventure bike! 8)
Thank you for your input, Stew. Also, thank you for the kind words. I presume the forum software will not allow you vote again in the edited poll. :( Nevertheless, I will certainly remember your vote.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That begs the question Spud: at $8.50 per pair, can you buy another set in black?
No, WG, I received the great closeout price only for the silver fork guards. I suppose most KTM owners prefer either orange, or black fork guards.

Fortunately, it is very easy to paint the fork guards black. The Krylon Fusion paint covers very well, and it is very durable. Also, since I got such a great price, I ordered two pairs of fork guards. Therefore, as with the body plastic on my Zong, I can install a fresh pair of fork guards while I repaint the spares.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #49

For those who are unfamiliar with the stock fork guards, here is a photograph I found on the internet (I never installed mine).

The Acerbis fork guards are much smaller, lighter, and stronger. I also prefer the appearance of the Acerbis, lower fork protectors.

Here is another view of the stock, Zongshen fork guards.

Here is a similar perspective of my trimmed, Acerbis fork guards.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #50

First of all, I wish to thank everyone for his constructive input. Weighing all the factors, I decided to paint my fork guards black. I painted the lower fork protectors 5 days ago, and I decided to mount them today. I waited to mount the fork guards for two reasons. First, I wanted to wait a few days for the Krylon Fusion paint to cure. Second, I wanted to reroute my brake line so I could attach it to the mount provided on the left fork guard. When I changed my brake fluid on Sunday, I detached the lower banjo fitting on the brake line, and rerouted it to the front of the left fork. Therefore, I was ready to complete mounting the fork guards today.

I always prefer to take my photographs in the Zong's natural habitat, Idaho's mountains. Several days ago they opened the gate to a trail leading to a local summit. Therefore, I rode to the mountain top to take the following photographs. However, the trail was a bit muddy, and snowy, so the fork guards got a bit dirty. I hope you still enjoy the photos.

I bought some stainless steel, T-bolt, hose clamps to mount the fork guards; however, they did not work very well. :( Therefore, I am still using regular hose clamps for my mounts. However, I am going to get some polished, stainless steel, hose clamps to replace the current clamps. I would also like to find hose clamps with plastic covers over the screw mechanism. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me chose nicer hose clamps? Once again, I thank you for your constructive input.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #51

I can't think of any other clamps (other than CV, as previously discussed).

It occurred to me that the mud and debris on the new fork protectors would likely have some sand or gravel in it. It amazes me that your USD forks have no damage, despite all of the miles on your bike.

The new fork protectors look right at home. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #52

Quote:
I can't think of any other clamps (other than CV, as previously discussed)...
The CV clamps look very nice, but I wish to be able to easily remove my fork guards for cleaning, repainting, et cetera.
Quote:
...It occurred to me that the mud and debris on the new fork protectors would likely have some sand or gravel in it. It amazes me that your USD forks have no damage, despite all of the miles on your bike.

The new fork protectors look right at home. 8)
Thank you, WG. I guess I was lucky, but my lower fork legs, and fork seals, are as good as new. The Zong forks are of high quality. Also, I think the upside down fork seals might be more resistant to damage. However, I am very happy to have the added protection provided by the Acerbis fork guards.

I am considering hose clamps similar to the following product. This hose clamp is made of series 316 stainless steel, and is not perforated.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...oducts_id=1760

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #53

We use those at work. Good clamps.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #54

Quote:
We use those at work. Good clamps.
Thank you for the good report. I just checked, and this company has a fixed, $10 shipping charger, per order. :( I refuse to pay excessive shipping charges! :evil: I wonder if I can find a local vendor who sells this hose clamp, or one similar to it? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #55

$10 isn't too bad, assuming that you dictate the quantity. Do they have any other goods that you could include in the order?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #56

What was the problem with the T-Bolt clamps? I have a project i am working on (sand rail) and need to clamp on a muffler. It needs to be secure and I was thinking of using the T-bolt clamp.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
What was the problem with the T-Bolt clamps? I have a project i am working on (sand rail) and need to clamp on a muffler. It needs to be secure and I was thinking of using the T-bolt clamp.
I am sure T-bolt clamps work well in most situations, Cal. The small adjustment range of the T-bolt clamps is causing me problems with this particular application.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #58

I have decided to install ABA/AWAB hose clamps to mount my Acerbis, lower fork protectors.

http://www.normagroup.com/kunden/nor...iginal_Details

I have found these hose clamps available from a variety of vendors. Therefore, I am going to wait until I need to order several other items, so I can leverage my shipping costs for the best value. In the meanwhile, I will continue to use the standard hose clamps; they really don't look too bad.

I think all three colors of the fork guards looked good on the Zong; however, I am very happy after deciding to choose black. I think Zingshoen, Weldangrind, and several others were correct; I like the color distribution achieved with the black fork guards.

The fork guards are most visible when viewed from the front of the motorcycle, where the black mirrors transition to the orange handguards/headlight cowl, to the black fuel tank, to the orange fender, to the black fork guards. Also, the black fork guards contrast nicely with the silver forks, and the black fork guards compliment the black brake line, and the black speedometer cable.

It seems most KTM motorcyles employ black fork guards. Also, the stock Zong was supplied with black fork guards. Therefore, the professional color coordinators also seem to agree with Zingshoen, Weldangrind, and several other members of this forum.

Once again, I thank everyone for his helpful, constructive input regarding this project.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #59

spud, about the Acerbis lower fork protectors, will most of them fit the zong
or do you have to order them for a tw200 or what?
and where's the best place to get em 4 cheap? thanks alan

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan566
spud, about the Acerbis lower fork protectors, will most of them fit the zong
or do you have to order them for a tw200 or what?
and where's the best place to get em 4 cheap? thanks alan
I decided to use round fork guards designed for 49mm Showa forks; therefore, I had my choice of either KTM, or Honda, lower fork protectors. A number of different companies make aftermarket fork guards that will fit the Showa forks. Acerbis makes the OEM, lower fork protectors for the KTM motorcycles. Therefore, when I found a good deal on Acerbis fork guards, I decided to buy them.

As shown in the first posts of this thread, the most recent KTM fork guards wrap around the fork; they are too large. Therefore, I chose the older style of KTM fork guards, shown in the link below. Most of the 2003 KTM motorcycles used this older style of fork guard.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...EXC-Parts.aspx

In order to fit these fork guards to my Zong, I still needed to trim a lot of plastic from these fork guards with my Dremel tool!

I got a closeout deal on silver, Acerbis, KTM, lower fork protectors from Bike Bandit; however, they now seem to be sold out. :( Therefore, I don’t know where to steer you for a great deal. The price at Motorcycle Superstore seems to be the going rate for these fork guards.

The Honda fork guards are available in white, black, or red. The KTM fork guards are available in orange, black, or silver.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220