Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

More ZS200GY-A Carb problems.

Still having a few little issues..hard starting, but once its started it runs perfect idle on choke. Once it's warmed & choke is off it sounds like its missing & then shuts off. Also if I were to buy another carb from my local cycle dealer, what type of carb should I ask for?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

It's still lean on the idle circuit. You can try to find a larger slow jet, or buy a Mikuni and re-jet that carb. I would not buy a carb from the local dealer; you can do much better on eBay.

Here's an example: Carburetor Carb ATV Dirt Bike Quad Honda MIKUNI 30mm Jets are easily found for the 30mm Mikuni; you'll love it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

At that price, do you think thats really a Mikuni?

I just wonder...

Not to say a imittation may not be good.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #4

It's probably the very same carb I (and others here) have purchased from Gio. If it's a fake, it's a really good one. The Keihin clones seem to have poor casting by comparison.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

I was just wondering.

I used a very inexpensive Mikuni (may have been a Kehin, I don't remember) on an XR100 I'd restored a couple of years ago. It worked great.

Come to think of it that XR is on the list of bikes I wish I'd never sold, but proceeds from that sale went to buy my HSUN 200. Prcoceeds from that went to my second Q, and so on...

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #6

UPDATE....
Purchased a 30mm mikuni carb, new gas lines, freshly cleaned gas tank, & a few hours adjusting the fuel, idol screw... It seem to run better once I moved the throttle needle down two noctches from the bottom. Not exactly sure how that works, but for the most part , it idols & starts up pretty good. Haven't really been able to ride past third gear. Thanks for all the help!!!

P.s. I've been reading how ...if these adjustments are not exactly correct it can possibly hurt the engine... Is that mostly for two strokes????

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #7

Here's your homework :P :

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm

AND

http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm
AND

http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm

Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Wow!!!! Ok did my homework, & I have to be honest...not totally confused, but a little overwhelmed. Let's break it down... On my new carb, I reached normal operating temp, turned the idol screw in, then turned pilot jet clock wise till it stumbled a little, then back out what I believe almost two turns out. ( it was real difficult, burnt fingers & a hour later) while turning out I stopped at the point where It sounded best at the highest RPM's then lowered the idol screw lowest RPM's possible. When quickly turned the throttle it kinda sounded a little flat but not everytime. Now what I think is a decent adjustments for what I need it for,, I won't be on a race track, but eventually on the road & maybe a few trails. Obvliously you guys can't hear or see, but does it sound like I'm on the right track. I really don't want to lock a engine up...... thank you everyone for all the advise & help. I only have two cycle shops in my area... One will not even touch my bike cause doesn't say Honda, Yamaha, etc... & the other has ridiculous prices & a bit of a attitude. If anyOne like myself reads this forum my advise would be do it right, don't cut any corners, and have plenty of patience.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #9

It sounds like you are in the ballpark. This is an art as well as a science. I'm glad you read Brother Dan's articles. I've studied every article on his website multiple times. I've learned a lot there, and I respect his ministry also.

At this point I'd recommend reading your plug and compare it to the images on Dan's page. Feel free to take a macro picture of it and we will help you too.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #10

Looks like I'm going to need a bigger slow jet. I'm having to turn more than 2 1/2 turns almost three 1/2 & in still having problems getting it started while im riding it feels heavy & sluggish... I read another forum where they upgraded to a 30mm mikuni as I did & had to purchace bigger pilot jets 25,25.5 , & 27 what are those sizes? I went on the link he provided... I don't see them listed like that any ideas ?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #11

Mikuni carbs measure the jets in millimetres. A 25 slow jet means 0.25mm inside diameter.

I believe that a 25 slow jet would get you in the ballpark.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #12

I just took apart the carb and on the main jet it reads 100 & the pilot jet says 20 ... Should I also buy a bigger main jet?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #13

here is a pic of the plug...

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...key1/photo.jpg

Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #14

Definatly lean. 8O

Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Time for a fatter main jet. Try a 110.