Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #1

Zongshen Sierra 200 Report

Several days ago I recorded 7,500 miles on the odometer of my new Zongshen Sierra 200 motorcycle. I have not had any mechanical problems whatsoever with this motorcycle. The Zongshen engine and the TK MV28 carburetor on this bike are superb.

I have used my bike to travel extensively in Southeast Idaho and Northern Utah. I travel a lot on both paved and unpaved roads, sometimes taking short trips lasting two or three days. I frequently ride in the mountains on a variety of dual-track jeep trails and logging roads.

My Zongshen Sierra 200 has proven to be extremely reliable; I do not hesitate to take it anywhere. Since owning the motorcycle I have only needed to replace the original chain, headlamp bulb and two bulbs that illuminate the speedometer.

My Zongshen has proven to be a rugged motorcycle that will cruise comfortably at 55 mph for hundreds of miles on secondary roads. Traveling at low speeds around town, I can get 90 mpg; I average 75 mpg with normal riding. This motorcycle is tough enough to take a good beating on steep, rocky, dual-track roads in the mountains. I live and ride the bike at a minimum altitude of 4,400 feet above sea level. I frequently take the motorcycle into the surrounding mountains to altitudes over 8,000 feet of elevation, and it has always performed flawlessly.

To give a fair report on the motorcycle I should mention a few things I dislike. First of all, this motorcycle is heavy for its size; the manufacturer claims a dry weight of 298 pounds (135 kg). I have not personally weighed my motorcycle, but this figure seems accurate to me. For the dual-track trails I enjoy riding, this is an acceptable weight. Nevertheless, it is not fun to turn this bike around on a tight trail, and I certainly don't enjoy lifting it after I drop it. However, I do enjoy taking trips of several hundred miles on the secondary roads to visit nearby towns. Over the highway the extra weight and wide saddle on this motorcycle make it much more comfortable to ride, especially when the Idaho winds are blowing at 25 miles-per-hour!

I am generally very pleased with the quality of this motorcycle's components. This motorcycle is very solidly constructed, and this undoubtedly adds to its weight. However, I do plan to make several alterations to my bike. Although it is adequate, the left switchgear could be nicer. Also, after I replaced the incandescent turn signal bulbs with LEDs, I noticed that the turn signal lenses are very flimsy. I bought some replacement turn signals, and I plan to install them at some convenient time in the future. Finally, the tires on this bike are an unusual size for a dual-sport motorcycle, especially the rear tire (130/90-15). I have found many options available for street tires, and the Cheng Shin Barracuda tires that came with my motorcycle are very nice. However, I have found only one option available in a DOT knobby rear tire, the Kingstone 130/90-15 tire that is available only from Zongshen. Fortunately, this is a very good tire; it grips well in the dirt and wears well on the street. I am now ready to replace this tire after 7,000 miles.

I paid less than $1,200 in United States currency for delivery of my motorcycle; I consider it an exceptional value at that price.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #2

Nice looking ride. We don't see as many Zongshen's around here as we do Lifan's.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #3

Great report and a nice looking bike. The scenery you have available is fantastic!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #4

Those tires look good, glad to here they are DOT and wear nice, gonna have to try n get me some. I like the look of that tail light too. Did you take fork gaurds of 'cause of them rubbing fender?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

DRC Edge II Tail Light

Wool-Z,

My Zong came with fork protectors and barkbusters; however, I decided not to attach them. I think that my bike looks better, weighs less, and is easier to clean and maintain without them.

Thank you for the compliment on my tail light; it is a DRC Edge II with the aluminum holder kit. I needed to drill two holes in the bracket, spaced 75 mm apart. The bracket then attached directly, and solidly, to the frame. The tail end of the bike takes a good beating on the rocky trails. I think that the Edge II looks nice back there, and it lightens the rear end quite a bit.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #6

Re: DRC Edge II Tail Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Wool-Z,
Thank you for the compliment on my tail light; it is a DRC Edge II with the aluminum holder kit. I needed to drill two holes in the bracket, spaced 75 mm apart. The bracket then attached directly, and solidly, to the frame. The tail end of the bike takes a good beating on the rocky trails. I think that the Edge II looks nice back there, and it lightens the rear end quite a bit.

Spud
Where'd ya' get the DRC kit?
Was it the one for the Suzuki DRZ?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

RE: DRC Edge II Tail Light

Bill,

I got the DRC Edge II tail light assembly from Langston Racing Supply.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopp...0_Tail_Lig.htm

This is the model with the aluminum bracket designed for the Suzuki DRZ400S/SM.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #8

how big is the gas tank on your bike? What kind of range in miles do you get? I think the motor on my Tank trail 200 is a Zong Shen. The motor on mine has been reliable, the other components not so much.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #9

Sierra 200 Fuel Capacity

Gene,

The total fuel capacity of my motorcycle is 2 U.S. gallons. The main tank holds 1.8 gallons with 0.2 gallons in reserve. Even if I am running full throttle, I can usually travel at least 120 miles before I empty the main tank. I can then travel about 15 miles before the reserve tank runs out of fuel. If I could change things I would certainly like a larger fuel tank. Whenever I am heading way out into the boonies I carry extra gasoline in a jerry can attached to my luggage rack.

The Sierra 200 is a Chinese clone of the Yamaha TW200. The Japanese bike has the same size fuel tank, and I don't know of anyone who makes a larger, aftermarket replacement for it.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #10

Re: RE: DRC Edge II Tail Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Bill,

I got the DRC Edge II tail light assembly from Langston Racing Supply.

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopp...0_Tail_Lig.htm

This is the model with the aluminum bracket designed for the Suzuki DRZ400S/SM.

Spud
Thank you muchly.
I have a crack on the stock mount :( and need to start shopping for a replacement. More tinkering
Bill

Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #11

Are all these China bikes 4 stroke??? I ask because it looks like an expansion chamber in your exhaust....that's all. Looks like another great little bike for a fantastic price!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #12

The sierra had a heat shield that makes it look like an expansion chamber. It is a 4 stroke.

Allen

Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #13

Willys,

Allen is correct. The heat shield covering the exhaust pipe is a little deceptive; however, it does seem to help prevent dirt collecting around the spark plug. Below is a picture of the exhaust pipe with the heat shield removed.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #14

Spud, It seems this picture was taken during valve adjustment correct? I was wondering if you had more pics. I need to adj. mine and was just curious.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #15

Sierra 200 Valve Adjustment

Wool-Z,

Yes, I took the previous photograph while I was doing a valve adjustment on my Zongshen. I do have more photographs of the procedure, and I will post them soon in a separate thread.

Red2003 authored the superb Valve Adjustment Tutorial thread posted as a "sticky" at the top of this forum. The information posted in this thread will be a great help to anyone wishing to learn more about this procedure.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220