Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Photos and questions of parts ATV

Anybody know anything about this ATVs? Two are made by a company called Linhai. The are called Rebel 80s. I'm assuming this means "80 ccs"?

Do they have some sort of variable automatic transmission? They seem to be well built compared to the "Peace" models I've seen.

This one hear, I'm not sure of. 50 ccs maybe?

This Panther has a rear foot brake. The master cylinder is attached to the frame!

One of the "Rebel 80s" I think is going to make a good candidate for a battery powered "beach cruiser" at the campground.

I did some research on repurposing old electric motors and seems like using one from a washing machine or dryer is the best choice. I still don't see how you can run one of these 110 volt AC motors on 12 volts DC.

I'm going to the beach next week and we are replacing my parents dryer so I'm going to rob the motor off the dryer and give it a shot.

This will most likely be a winter time project.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #2

A lot of appliances use a permanent magnet dc motor not an ac motor ,a treadmill motor is also a good candidate ,and if you spin a dryer drum on a newer lg front load ,the lights and digital display will light up because a permanent magnet motor can also produce electricity .If you have a newer electronic washer and dryer ,I do Not suggest you go out of your way to try it ,the hall effect tends to go out in short order .

Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

The Linhai is a gy6 style engine ,it is belt drive in that side case ,common engine in a scooter with a wheel bolted directly to the back of the case extension ,on an atv or go kart they install a sprocket to drive the rear axle. Also ,on the typical Honda clone engines ,the engine size is usually cast into the cylinder fin area on the top of the cylinder ,although smarter people than me look at the pad near where a shifter would be and decipher the engine numbers from there to be more precise .For what it's worth ,I have seen Zero 50 cc 4 stroke atv ,I bet your atv is at least a 70cc .

Old 06-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

I've found that the numbers near the shifter often lie. The only way to be sure about displacement is to measure the bore and stroke. In the end, it doesn't really matter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #5

Linhai http://www.atv-linhai.com/about/history.html are famous for making Yamaha based engine. W/O photos we can't tell anything.
If it's a Chonda, CDI's style told u the story already...

Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
A lot of appliances use a permanent magnet dc motor not an ac motor ,a treadmill motor is also a good candidate ,and if you spin a dryer drum on a newer lg front load ,the lights and digital display will light up because a permanent magnet motor can also produce electricity .If you have a newer electronic washer and dryer ,I do Not suggest you go out of your way to try it ,the hall effect tends to go out in short order .
Well that would explain it's possible to run a washing machine or dryer motor on DC. I just assumed they used AC motors. I know allot of appliances have 12 volt DC step down transformers inside them like home stereos for example.

One day my wife said the dryer was not drying clothes like it should so pretty much tore it completely apart and vacuumed a lot of lint out of the bottom and everywhere else. What a fire hazard!

The appliance I plan on robbing the motor from is an old Maytag or Whirlpool dryer made back in the 1980s or early 90s. Hopefully the reason it didn't die to begin was because of the motor. Nonetheless there are tons of disabled appliances at the dump I can rob a motor from.

One other idea to get more spin out of the motor if it doesn't turn as fast as I would like it to is use a step up converter. Like a 12 to 48 VDC version.

I installed a 12 to 15 VDC step up converter on my Fiat Spider's wiper motor and it works wonders.

http://vid222.photobucket.com/albums...psvs2hdn5v.mp4

Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
The Linhai is a gy6 style engine ,it is belt drive in that side case ,common engine in a scooter with a wheel bolted directly to the back of the case extension ,on an atv or go kart they install a sprocket to drive the rear axle. Also ,on the typical Honda clone engines ,the engine size is usually cast into the cylinder fin area on the top of the cylinder ,although smarter people than me look at the pad near where a shifter would be and decipher the engine numbers from there to be more precise .For what it's worth ,I have seen Zero 50 cc 4 stroke atv ,I bet your atv is at least a 70cc .
So far I have not found any CC stampings on the engine. Other than that one 50cc engine I have that the guy threw in with the bikes that came off something else.

The guy said all the engines are good, just stuff has been robbed off of them like the carburetors, brake master cylinders, CDIs to keep other ATVs going. Some engines have faulty magnetos but I don't know which ones.

I haven't done a compression test on any of the engines yet but a couple of them (gy6 clones?) with the kickstarter will turn over so they are not locked up. I was afraid with the carburetors being off of them water may have gotten into the cylinders but he did have them covered up with a tarp.

All of the other stuff on them are still there like the steering and suspension.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Looks like you are having better luck with your fiat spider than I ,I bought it a year old for $1000.00 with a blown head gasket at 8500 km ,$15.00 later that was taken care of in the driveway ,only to have it catch fire at about 30,000 km a year and a half later .

Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Looks like you are having better luck with your fiat spider than I ,I bought it a year old for $1000.00 with a blown head gasket at 8500 km ,$15.00 later that was taken care of in the driveway ,only to have it catch fire at about 30,000 km a year and a half later .
I've had this car for 25 years. Just like allot of things, the need attention from time to time. I guess that's why wondering on my daughter's ATV all the time doesn't seem to bother me.