Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Would you consider a china car or truck?
Yes 21 70.00%
No 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #1

The cars are coming.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19600285/

I just heard it on the radio today that Chrysler signed an agreement to bring Chinese cars to the US.

Allen

Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #2

This gives me flashbacks of Daewoo 8O , The bikes are easy to go over and check for problems...Not the same for cars..I'll stick With my Subaru and Chevy.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #3

if i could buy a brand new lifan 4x4 pick-up with an extended cab for more than half the price of any other truck out there just like my bike i would.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #4

I would consider one -- but not sure if I'd end up buying one of the first ones. Would depend on my current vehicle needs situation I guess.... and obviously price - not gonna spend Honda money on a Hoching.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 AM   #5

The Chery/Chrysler deal has been in the works for some time.
They had originally talked about building a car based on the Dodge Neon drivetrain (actually the Mini Cooper 1600 drivetrain, which is a destroked Neon 2000cc). Dodge was to build the drive train, ship it to Chery who put it in a US designed chassis (the Rampage) and ship it back over here. Guess not! Too bad, it was supposed to have over 150hp in a car the size of a Honda Fit.

But to answer the question... I'd look over a Chinese built car same as any other car. My preference would be a Lotus Exige though!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
This gives me flashbacks of Daewoo 8O , The bikes are easy to go over and check for problems...Not the same for cars..I'll stick With my Subaru and Chevy.
And what's wrong with Daewoo?? I was in the motor trade for 30 years, I worked at several dealerships, Daewoo included, they're no worse than any other new car. They were the first (in the UK) to give 3 years warranty, if I was in the market for a newer car it's the only one I'd have.

Jonathan.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM   #7

Unfortunately that 3 year warranty isn't too good if the company folds. :roll: The way bikes have so many brand names put on the same thing I wonder if they could start doing that with cars and just say warranty is no good because Hichong is no more... but they just changed the name to Hoching....

it wouldn't be hard for me to see something like that happening if they start running into quality issues, because they don't care about rep - the same people are going to continue to buy their low price / low quality anyway. Still, like I said, I would at least take a look at one if I were in the market.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #8

I had a Daewoo. The only problem that I had with the car is it is not made for someone my size. Otherwise did not do any work other than normal maintainance.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John22j
Unfortunately that 3 year warranty isn't too good if the company folds.
Exactly.

Bikes are one thing...But cars are new ground. Kia made it and these might as well. I would just wait a long while before I even considered dropping money on one.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #10

I bought my Chinese bike so I could play around with a toy that I don't need to be completely reliable. My cage is a different story. I will not settle for less than absolute reliability (or as close as you can get.) Too many things in everyday life require reliable transportation and I do not want to have something messed up by my vehicle.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #11

This is why I didn't ask if you you would be one, but instead if you would consider one.

I would ask least take a look at a vehicle from china. If they build a small diesel?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #12

Id' want low price, simplicity, and at least a little reliabiliity with high gas mileage. But, yeah, I'd consider one. I'll wait a while to find out if they're more like a Toyota or a Yugo. Sure like our little Toyota Echo, though, and my old Chevy Van only has 80K on it. At 15 to the gallon, it don't get driven much. :roll:

Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #13

Daewoo USA only folded, when General Motors bought a majority share in the Daewoo company and decided to eliminate Daewoo USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/.../gm-daewoo.htm

Were they trying to eliminate the competition? Who knows, but Daewoo is alive and well around the rest of the world.

When the Chinese manufactures get DOT approval for the mainland, expect scare tactics from the big 3, unless they badge them as their own..

Surfing some other forums.. with regards to Chinese auto's, Ive already witnessed pictures of horrific car crashes featuring Lifan automobiles.

http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/index.php

DOT will certainly be vigilant with China Auto's after all the pet food, seafood and toothpaste problems.

I wish they would get here quick but.... don't hold your breath..

NET

Old 07-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #14

Dihatsu came and went in the US market. They weren't bad little cars, just America wasn't ready for a little 3 cylinder sardine can at the time, and it didn't even get that great on gas.

There is a market for 3 cylinder sardine cans now. We had a 3 cylinder 1.0 liter Chevy Sprint once, later became Geo Metro, Suzuki built. That little car got 60 mpg, honest, and ran the speed limit all day long. Awesome mileage and this is the right market for something like that again. I've always appreciated outstanding mileage, though. The car's chassis was tinny and it wasn't terribly comfy. Our Echo is fantastic on comfort and 40 to the gallon still ain't bad with a 1.6 liter. Got a lot more gittyup than that Sprint did, too, and it's an auto tranny.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider
We had a 3 cylinder 1.0 liter Chevy Sprint once, later became Geo Metro, Suzuki built. That little car got 60 mpg, honest, and ran the speed limit all day long. Awesome mileage and this is the right market for something like that again. I've always appreciated outstanding mileage, though. The car's chassis was tinny and it wasn't terribly comfy. Our Echo is fantastic on comfort and 40 to the gallon still ain't bad with a 1.6 liter. Got a lot more gittyup than that Sprint did, too, and it's an auto tranny.
I accidently ran ove my nephew's Sprint a long time ago. I was in my Jeep (lifted) and he parked under my bumper. I started backing up, felt a little bump which I though was my sticky rear brakes.. pushed his car about 8 feet before I realized what was going on. The poor little car was demolished, hood folded in half, radiator pushed into the engine, fenders rolled in and headlights hanging by the wires.... Looked like I hit it doing 50mph. I'm all about gas mileage, but I'll never have something like that!

I started to buy an Echo but wound up with a Civic instead. I have never liked Honda cars until I bought this one.. 36mpg with an automatic!