Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #1

Head Scratching Should I buy this $800 Hawk 250? (And advice for New rider please?)

Hi my name is Retro. New here. Also a new rider here. Don’t know anything about a bike, this would be my first one, but one of my dreamies is a hawk 250. Which it might have to stay a dream, because I’m kinda short 5’3” almost 4”, 285LB, Inseam is about 29inches. I was gonna get and learn about Bikes. I’m also having trouble deciding if I want a magician or a hawk, due to size. Since I’m so big I’m hoping that the hawk will sink down enough....but please let me know if there’s like a lowering thing. I’m going to check out this bike tomorrow because I just want to see if I can fit it. I don’t have the intention of buying honestly but there’s an off chance I might be missing out? He says nothings wrong with it. There’s literally no hawks or anything around my area, or any dealerships that sell them. I’m in North Carolina.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xM8y2Q4

He says there’s nothing wrong with it but the battery needs replacing and something about the passenger railing being broken off...and then....I saw the pictures. Iiiiiiii don’t know about that. I need you hawk geeks and riders to use your scopes and help me out here. Don’t wanna get scammed. Seems like a repair rust bucket to me!

Edit: if you can’t see the photos I’ve hidden them. The conclusion: he got called out for being a scammer and wasn’t happy about it. Lol.

Last edited by retro; 06-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #2

The chain and pipes that are rusted are sending red flags for me, as they will probably need to be replaced. I could be wrong but I dunno. That’s why I’m asking you guys lol!

Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

That bike does not look well taken care of. Frame rusty, no go... Could have unseen damage.

That chain is solid rust. All the fasteners... Looks like he let it sit outside in the rain for months.

All of the plastics are missing... All that and who knows what else for only $600 less than a brand new one? No thank you. I'd run away from that. I wouldn't even waste my time going to look at it.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #4

That’s what I’m saying. He’s just a young guy. But I’m going to See if I can fit it only now 😂

Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #5

There is nothing on that bike That says "I'm Good"! Sorry friend but i would wait. The plastics are removed or torn from the bike, it's rusty and looks like it's been left unprotected from the sun and rain. That means you could have water in the tank, seals cracking, no oil changes and just plain abuse. I'd give him $400 as a parts bike. There is definitively a bad story behind this bikes short life. your $800 can do better.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

He actually removed the plastics to show me the guts. So yeah. Lol.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, Retro. Take a hard pass on this one. They come up for about $1,200 or so in really good working order every now and again. I agree, your $800; it could go a lot further on something else. Just the globs of orange RTV on the intake boot would be enough to make me run in the other direction.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

It is a good opportunity to sit on a Hawk to see if it works. Not many of us got that chance before we purchased one.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #9

I would offer $350, maybe pay $400 max. Nothing to lose (except 300 or 400 dollars )

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Welcome to the forum, Retro. Take a hard pass on this one. They come up for about $1,200 or so in really good working order every now and again. I agree, your $800; it could go a lot further on something else. Just the globs of orange RTV on the intake boot would be enough to make me run in the other direction.
When I saw that I internally screamed “oh no. No no no.”

Old 06-04-2020, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
It is a good opportunity to sit on a Hawk to see if it works. Not many of us got that chance before we purchased one.
Oh he’s posted a video showing me it works. He’s posted riding it. But the mechanical issues alone? Just buying a new one!!

Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #12

If you can get it to run while you're there, maybe offer the $350 or so that Culcune mentioned. Other than that, a little patience will go a long way. The idea to go and at least sit on it to get an idea of the height is pretty good, too. I think that if you wind up not being able to get it to run but pick it up just to see what you can do, you'll just have a world of problems on your hands that you'll probably never get sorted out. You'll likely lose interest long before you're done firing the parts cannon at it to try to get it to usable status. Again, just my two cents worth, your mileage may vary.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #13

Bought one with 102 miles for 900$ in new condition, be patient and comb the online ads for a deal, blue one in this picture was 900$
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3272E10B-E8AF-48DC-81B9-346A9638272F.jpg (15.8 KB, 630 views)

Old 06-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

I would not even think of paying more than $400 for that ,and even that much ONLY if i was already proficient in diagnosing and repairing motorcycles.or had very good mechanical aptitude in general and the requisite pile of tools.
It's just plain from the state of it that it's going to have a multitude of issues that will require significant parts chasing and purchase and waiting on each to arrive one after the other as you find issues means at the end of the day you are likely looking at weeks and months to go through the entire process.
Thats just senseless aggravation when you can get a new one for $1200 - $1250 dollars and you already have $800. At this point in my life i might take it if someone gave it to me and try to fix it, because i have other bikes to ride in the meantime but were i a first time owner who actually wanted to get to ride in the forseeable future., i would run, not walk away from that particular bike. I know you want to ride , and thats great.But that bike aint it bro , keep looking .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I would not even think of paying more than $400 for that ,and even that much ONLY if i was already proficient in diagnosing and repairing motorcycles.or had very good mechanical aptitude in general and the requisite pile of tools.
It's just plain from the state of it that it's going to have a multitude of issues that will require significant parts chasing and purchase and waiting on each to arrive one after the other as you find issues means at the end of the day you are likely looking at weeks and months to go through the entire process.
Thats just senseless aggravation when you can get a new one for $1200 - $1250 dollars and you already have $800. At this point in my life i might take it if someone gave it to me and try to fix it, because i have other bikes to ride in the meantime but were i a first time owner who actually wanted to get to ride in the forseeable future., i would run, not walk away from that particular bike. I know you want to ride , and thats great.But that bike aint it bro , keep looking .
I would only change 400 dollars to 0 dollars, you are way to close to a new bike if you have 800 bucks and it will be worth every extra dollar you spend IMHO.

Tags
hawk, hawk 250, new rider