Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #436

I've done nothing with the bike since moving to NY.
I did end up buying highway pegs just to stretch the legs out. I'll post a picture once I get around to it.

Other than that, it snows everyday here. I wish I Zongshen made a snowmobile!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #437

Nothing WITH or TO the RX3, just showed it to someone local who is interested in getting a bike. This was through the Affiliate Program with CSC. He's height challenged so we talked about the lowering link and shorter seat.

Peter Y.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Nothing WITH or TO the RX3, just showed it to someone local who is interested in getting a bike. This was through the Affiliate Program with CSC. He's height challenged so we talked about the lowering link and shorter seat.

Peter Y.
I'm 5'3" but with longer legs. The stock bike was fine for me. However, Luke had a longer torso and shorter legs, so I got the shorter seat to help him out. He's 5'6". We did not buy a lowering link.

Pay it Forward!

Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #439

Starting Mrs 2LZ RX3 project today. A lowering link and the narrow seat are definitely part of the plan. She's not a short lady (5'6") but she likes the stability of having both feet firmly planted on the ground when parked on our hilly terrain. Her Vic Kingpin is slammed so she's used to shorter bikes.
Whatever makes her more comfortable, right?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Starting Mrs 2LZ RX3 project today. A lowering link and the narrow seat are definitely part of the plan. She's not a short lady (5'6") but she likes the stability of having both feet firmly planted on the ground when parked on our hilly terrain. Her Vic Kingpin is slammed so she's used to shorter bikes.
Whatever makes her more comfortable, right?
True...happy wife, happy life! lol at least that's what they say.

Pay it Forward!

Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #441

Mrs. 2LZ RX3

Ok....freezing here. Snow in about an hour...real bite in the air....but Mrs. 2LZ, even fighting a horrible cold, insisted on getting going on the project. We busted out the propane heater (and her wired on Day Quil and totties) and we went at it this evening.

First pic, bone stock for the "before".

The last pic is the 'almost finished' product (along with a fried wife)...

Lowering link installed, Seat Concepts narrow seat, new Unibear chain, 13 tooth sprocket, blacked-out folding shift lever, luggage and rear crash bar delete, new removable, slightly larger trunk installed. We did get the risers installed after the pic.

Yet to come: valve adjust, iridium plug and oil change.

End result? After closing shop, I tossed some oak on the fire and she's curled up on the couch and is snoozing as I type.... Well-earned.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 05-26-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #442

Looks like a great way to start the year! You seem to be a blessed man, with a wife to share these things with and an awesome garage!!!

Mazel Tov in this Happy New Year!

Adam

Old 01-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #443

Update! Snowing all day but busted out the propane heater again so it was bearable. Got the valve adjust done (I really hate these on the RX3). The intakes were ok, exhausts were very tight. Iridium plug installed.
I also greased all the link pivots when I was doing the lowering link. Hopefully no squeak in the future.

Now it's just the oil/filter change and we're done!....just waiting for better weather now.
Glad to see this go as smoothly as it did.

I can say this, even with the proper tools, presses etc.... It's worth the extra 20-30 bucks to order the lowering link WITH the bearing and seals installed. It wasn't a huge hassle with my heat gun and press....but you get the extra new parts, installed, so you don't have to mess with anything, just swap. Something to think about if you have a few extra shillings.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #444

2LZ, nice work on the upgrades/maintenance.

I admire your work ethic.

My RX3, with much the same things needed to be done as yours, has been sitting in this condition for a week.

I can't even use cold weather as an excuse.... sunny and 80F in central FL.

I hope I can remember how to put it back together again.

jb

Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
2LZ, nice work on the upgrades/maintenance.

I admire your work ethic.

I can't even use cold weather as an excuse.... sunny and 80F in central FL.

jb
Thanks for the kind words but I don't know about that. LOL!

I have a couple things going in my favor. First, I can't imagine doing this without the lift anymore (225.++ at Harbor Freight. Best 200.00 I've ever spent). It makes these projects SO much more simple having it at any height you want. Secondly, I'm fortunate enough to have a wife who loves to wrench. Just makes things much more pleasant.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #446

You could do what I did, drop the needle bearing onto your magnetic pickup tool you always have close by, and have the things sucked out faster than you could blink...then drop the loose bearings into the rock bed by your driveway. You could find all but 2 of them, if you're like me.

This way, you get to postpone finishing the job, be unable to move your bike, order a new bearing, and wait for it to arrive. Then figure out how to seat the new bearing (hint, put the knuckle into your freezer for a few hours, and heat the bearing with a hair dryer, it'll drop right in).

I have the ability to turn a one hour job into a several day job. At least I didn't get stitches doing it, this time... I got my hand sewn up (this time) bringing my wife flowers at work. And my family says I'm accident prone. I've only had about 70 in the past 2 years. Hell, a good shark bite would've been way more than that!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #447

2lz.. all these years and all those bikes. Hard to believe you only just got that lift this past year. Thanks to mrs2lz.

You are probably like me, been penny pinching all your life and just make due. (And i wonder why my back hurts)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
You could do what I did, drop the needle bearing onto your magnetic pickup tool you always have close by, and have the things sucked out faster than you could blink...then drop the loose bearings into the rock bed by your driveway. You could find all but 2 of them, if you're like me.

This way, you get to postpone finishing the job, be unable to move your bike, order a new bearing, and wait for it to arrive. Then figure out how to seat the new bearing (hint, put the knuckle into your freezer for a few hours, and heat the bearing with a hair dryer, it'll drop right in).

I have the ability to turn a one hour job into a several day job. At least I didn't get stitches doing it, this time... I got my hand sewn up (this time) bringing my wife flowers at work. And my family says I'm accident prone. I've only had about 70 in the past 2 years. Hell, a good shark bite would've been way more than that!
Man! I have some poor luck myself but I have learned to keep my fingers out of the spinning wheel things.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
2lz.. all these years and all those bikes. Hard to believe you only just got that lift this past year. Thanks to mrs2lz.

You are probably like me, been penny pinching all your life and just make due. (And i wonder why my back hurts)
Well, in my suburb houses, I always converted the garage to another carpeted, heated and cooled room...specially made for the bikes. Rolling around on carpet wasn't that bad.....but the 50's haven't been too kind to 2LZ.....and living in the dirt changed everything. I grew up in the dirt, you'd think I would have remembered.

Here's a pic of my last garage. You get the idea. Now it's cold and concrete! Need the lift..........

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 05-26-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #450

2LZ shamed me into putting my RX3 back together:

2LZ, I agree about the table lift. I finally purchased one about 3 years ago...should have done so much sooner.

jb