Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #31

AKT shop service

The local shop serviced the bike. I told them the idle was too high. They took the tank and carb off and found dirt in the system. They installed a new fuel filter, changed the oil, replaced the rear brake pads. They were toast after only 7700 km? They worked on it at least 3 hours at no labor charge due to the warranty was good.
The technician took me to the bank on his bike because they wanted cash. Two up ride to the bank and free labor priceless.

Gringos never have to park on the street!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (92.3 KB, 423 views)

Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #32

New a new set of front shoes

Can anyone tell me the part number for the front pad set?
The last AKT shop did not have them in stock.
I need to have them shipped to Ecuador.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #33

Ride from Nueva Loja to Puyo Ecuador

I left Nueva Loja in a sprinkling rain that steadily got worse. I got soaked and a tad chilled. Around noon I pulled into a nice thatched roof restaurant for a break and a cup of coffee. Soon a young couple on a bike that turned out to be just like mine pulled in. Theirs had fuel injection and he had farkled it up pretty good.
I was amazed at how they had it loaded up, carrying gear for two people ( returning from their honeymoon). They had a small carrier with two Pincher pups stowed between them. They invited me to their table and it was good to join them. They asked if I wanted to follow them to Puyo and stay with an Ecuadorian family that belonged to a network of motorcyclists. The young wife was pretty good with English and I said sure, I'll go. We ended up sleeping in the same room as the house was full with 7 people needing a bed. We rode into town and bought some fresh tilapia and the young man made cerviche. We also had a boiled vegetable called "camote" which I really liked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0142.jpg (95.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (90.6 KB, 417 views)

Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #34

Puyo to Santiago de Mendez

We loaded up the bikes a bid farewell to the generous Ecuadorian family who took care of us the night before ( The Garcias )
The young couple (Edher and Lourder) were headed home to Piura ,Peru and were riding to Loja, Ecuador. I wanted to go to Cuenca so we said goodbye and I headed for the nearest hotel I could find as I was very tired. I made a 200km day and found a nice place to dry out from the previous days rain. This hotel was nice , even had a pool and hot showers! $20/ night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (97.3 KB, 400 views)

Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #35

Oleg...Looks like your getting along well!

Man, look at that jungle!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #36

Rough ride from Santiago de Mendez to Cuenca

It's light rain again as I head for Cuenca. I had to find the turn off from Route 45 about 35 km from the hotel. I followed google maps which said 130km in 3 hours. It started out good until I came upon a mudslide and the mud was just deep enough to slow me down and I nearly dropped the bike when I let it stall.
It continued to rain, the road went up in elevation and it turned cold and windy. Road construction and gravel kept things slow. Alternating patches of gravel and asphalt seems to be mostly gravel. The water was running hard down the steep slopes. There was plenty of vegetation but it's no match for the force of the runoff. The 3 hour ride took 5+ hours.. It was one of the worst riding conditions I've ever dealt with. Things got better when I got to Gualceo. The rain stopped and I had dry hardtop the remainder of the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (97.5 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (97.9 KB, 407 views)

Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #37

The Cuenca road from E45

Sorry about the sygoggle pitchers 😩 If I do this enough I hope to learn how to rotate em !
I stopped for gas ⛽️ and saw some young boys torturing a big Beatle. I wanted a pic of it and they began negotiating for payment. First one said $10. I protested as it was my camera and they came down to $1/kid. I offered them $1 to be split equally amongst the four of them. They accepted my offer and rushed off to spend the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (96.9 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (92.9 KB, 397 views)

Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
This hotel was nice , even had a pool and hot showers! $20/ night.
Unless the pool was heated, I wouldn't have paid more than $15! Just kidding--great photos and stories!! Keep them coming. I would kill to visit that hotel whether the pool was heated or cold, LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #39

Cuenca cathedral

Very impressive as was the central square in front where a military band was playing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0196.jpg (95.6 KB, 389 views)

Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #40

Awesome adventure!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #41

Cool, olegeezer! I plan on making the same trip in August. Medellin to Machu Pichu and back with the wife on two used bikes we plan on buying in Medellin just for the trip. Looking forward to your Ride Report and more pics. Perhaps you could post your route(?)

Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMore2 View Post
Cool, olegeezer! I plan on making the same trip in August. Medellin to Machu Pichu and back with the wife on two used bikes we plan on buying in Medellin just for the trip. Looking forward to your Ride Report and more pics. Perhaps you could post your route(?)
Cool FMore! I'm headed to Cusco myself hopefully.
I got across the border at Macara. It went smoothly. Just make sure to guard all your paper documents and it will be fine. The only cost so far to cross two borders was that I had to buy one month of insurance to get into Peru. This cost $35 per month. Once I got to Piura, I had a case of Montezuma's revenge going on. I've spent the last three nights in a hotel trying to get over it. I'm hoping to leave today for Olmos? I'll have to see how breakfast sets on my stomach and make a decision from there.
I reconnected with the Peruvian newlyweds that I met in Puyo. They have been helping me as best they can and I appreciate that. Great people they are. I will try to post a Google map of the route for you. It's pretty simple, I basically followed Google maps routing from Medellin to here.. I'm navigating with Google maps and my iPhone.

Last edited by olegeezer; 02-03-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typo error

Old 02-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #43

Route Medellin to border

https://goo.gl/maps/KGvytW4j2Yv

FMore2. This was my route thru Colombia if you cut and paste you should see it.
If you haven't booked flights yet and want another option send me a PM.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #44

Hotel Cuenca

I found it strange that most all the hotels supply not one, but two motorcycle boot dryers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (78.3 KB, 393 views)

Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #45

The road from Piura to Jaen

I like this fence woven out of sticks.
Rice paddies were plentiful in this valley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (98.9 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0239.jpg (98.4 KB, 376 views)